Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey SR owners! What Subwoofer did you install in the factory location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Hansshow DIY harness, but I have not installed it yet. I will tap off of it to feed the signal to an aftermarket subwoofer that I will mount in the factory location. I do not want to take up any trunk or sub-trunk space.

I know Hansshow has 2 different sub options, but I already bought the DIY and can't return / exchange it.

I know someone installed the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD and like it. I am considering that one, but looking to see what others have used.
I want to keep it around the $200 mark. JBL and Cerwin Vega both have options I am considering.

I can't find anything in between in size. There are either these super compact subs that can fit under a seat or much larger units that will never fit in the factory location.

Here are pics of the Sound Ordnance in someone else's car...

124095765_3751481771552713_1131896418960714574_n (1).jpg
124551828_3750895391611351_4172675328437844116_n (1).jpg
124316656_3750894501611440_1128489539420822942_n (1).jpg
124812753_3750892554944968_2373591118558915786_n (1).jpg
125211797_1127773417642241_8440159334236149361_n.jpg
124834470_1043814886091999_7000524410762115516_n.jpg
124828456_1003983620100451_836279329903312725_n.jpg
125441901_812316949328112_5102310709166705494_n.jpg

Reactions: Matsayz
have you looked into buying the oem sub on ebay?

I have. They are around $200 without the amp. It is not easy to use the factory amp because the proper signals are not easily available. I believe the factory sub is a dual voicecoil which makes an aftermarket amp more difficult.

Hansshow and a guy on the forums (Clancy) both sell OEM like solutions, which would be the best option. But they are outside of my budget. ~$1k for a set up with the OEM or OEM style sub.

The DIY cable is $80 and I can get a powered sub for ~$200. Just looking to see what others have used / what fits.

Reactions: badiban
Well, I decided to try an stuff the Rockford Fosgate P300-8P Punch in the factory location. I made a mock-up out of cardboard and it is very close to fitting. Mounting brackets are going to be very odd shaped and I am pretty certain the trunk carpet is going to bulge a little bit. If all else fails, I can return it or put it in the trunk or sub-trunk.
I'll post when/if I get it in which might not be until over the holidays.

Feel free to post up any other suggested subs.

I posted this over on the nearly 50 page Hansshow Audio Upgrade thread ... but since that one can be so overwhelming.

Well, the Rockford Fosgate P300-8P will fit in the factory location!!

I installed the sub along with the Hansshow DIY harness. My SR is a 12/19 build so I have the rear parcel speakers. But my harness had those left and right reverse, so I had to switch the wires (there is a youtube video out there about it).
It sounds so much better now. I haven't compared it to the premium stereo in our LRY. Overall I think it is very similar, but the SR definitely has more bass!

I tapped the signal off the Hansshow harness and got power and ground from under the seat. I took the audio
signals from the front woofers. I tapped into the pigtail that goes connects directly to the car's brains. Pics from Peter..

The bass control knob is mounted with 2 tiny screws in the carpet so you would never see the holes if removed. I wrapped the knob in the same vinyl as my center consol.

Other than the 2" of wire going to the base knob everything is completely hidden. Also everything can be complete uninstalled.
I did bend the bracket near the tail light that is typically for the carpet backing panel, but it could be easily bent back into position.

The sub just barely fits and it mostly just wedged in there with foam. I have 2 brackets coming off the 1 anchor point that I bent. It seems very solid, but was a bit tricky figuring out how to get it in there. I may add another bracket or 2 and I will trim back the foam after I test it out for a bit of time. I also installed some Noico (dynamat).

I need to spend some time adjusting the car's EQ and the settings on the subwoofer, but so far I am very happy!!

20201213_153057.jpg
20201213_153125.jpg
20201213_213254.jpg
2020-12-14 11_48_13-(2) Messenger _ Facebook.jpg
128276652_388602152255517_9124243908103607280_n.jpg
128382486_135140134800107_6921724343722618510_n.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Matsayz and badiban
I bought the OEM sub off eBay, an Alpine and Fosgate amp and the wiring harness that Todd2fst4u sells here on the forum. Just got his harness today and it looks great, everything labelled. Pretty sure he uses the Hannshow harness but rewires it. Comes with the plugs for the amps he recommends. When all the equipment arrives I'll try to give a quick review after I install it. He says he's installed a dozen or so. If you're lucky enough to be in the bay area he will install it for free if you buy everything from him.

I bought the OEM sub off eBay, an Alpine and Fosgate amp and the wiring harness that Todd2fst4u sells here on the forum. Just got his harness today and it looks great, everything labelled. Pretty sure he uses the Hannshow harness but rewires it. Comes with the plugs for the amps he recommends. When all the equipment arrives I'll try to give a quick review after I install it. He says he's installed a dozen or so. If you're lucky enough to be in the bay area he will install it for free if you buy everything from him.

That looks like a really great system! I was going to go that route, but I got the Hansshow harness for $80 and the sub for $220 ... can't complain for $300!

Anxious to hear about your install.

I posted this over on the nearly 50 page Hansshow Audio Upgrade thread ... but since that one can be so overwhelming.

Well, the Rockford Fosgate P300-8P will fit in the factory location!!

I installed the sub along with the Hansshow DIY harness. My SR is a 12/19 build so I have the rear parcel speakers. But my harness had those left and right reverse, so I had to switch the wires (there is a youtube video out there about it).
It sounds so much better now. I haven't compared it to the premium stereo in our LRY. Overall I think it is very similar, but the SR definitely has more bass!

I tapped the signal off the Hansshow harness and got power and ground from under the seat. I took the audio
signals from the front woofers. I tapped into the pigtail that goes connects directly to the car's brains. Pics from Peter..

The bass control knob is mounted with 2 tiny screws in the carpet so you would never see the holes if removed. I wrapped the knob in the same vinyl as my center consol.

Other than the 2" of wire going to the base knob everything is completely hidden. Also everything can be complete uninstalled.
I did bend the bracket near the tail light that is typically for the carpet backing panel, but it could be easily bent back into position.

The sub just barely fits and it mostly just wedged in there with foam. I have 2 brackets coming off the 1 anchor point that I bent. It seems very solid, but was a bit tricky figuring out how to get it in there. I may add another bracket or 2 and I will trim back the foam after I test it out for a bit of time. I also installed some Noico (dynamat).

I need to spend some time adjusting the car's EQ and the settings on the subwoofer, but so far I am very happy!!

View attachment 617630 View attachment 617631 View attachment 617632 View attachment 617633 View attachment 617634 View attachment 617635

What are your thoughts on this sub? Especially when you're sitting in the driver's seat and driving the car on the highway. Is it loud enough or too loud that it vibrates your car or anything?

I have the OEM sub in the premium audio system and I'm looking to upgrade since it isn't loud enough for my tastes.

What are your thoughts on this sub? Especially when you're sitting in the driver's seat and driving the car on the highway. Is it loud enough or too loud that it vibrates your car or anything?

I have the OEM sub in the premium audio system and I'm looking to upgrade since it isn't loud enough for my tastes.

It has a remote (wired) bass knob, so you can basically turn it off or crank it to way too loud (vs the other speakers). It is plenty loud for me, I typically have it between 25-50%, but of course your tastes might be different.

I believe the stock sub is also 8" and ported, those would be the same. I am not sure how powerful the stock amp is. The Rockford Fosgate sub can take high level or low level inputs. I would assume that the factory sub uses low level.

From what I've seen on eBay, you should be able to sell your factory sub and amp for WAY more than the P300-8P cost.

Unless your thinking to add it in addition to your factory sub. It is pretty small, so you can easily fit it in the trunk or sub-trunk. R.F. also makes a 10". Another guy installed the 10" and really likes it ... but it doesn't fit in the factory location.

Unless your thinking to add it in addition to your factory sub. It is pretty small, so you can easily fit it in the trunk or sub-trunk. R.F. also makes a 10". Another guy installed the 10" and really likes it ... but it doesn't fit in the factory location.

This is exactly what I plan on doing. I have the premium system with the factory 8 in. subwoofer and it's pretty weak. I plan to add the P300-8 in addition to the factory one by just tapping off the input signal to the factory sub. I'm going to put it in the bottom storage of the trunk, should be a completely clean and hidden install.

I installed the P300-10 in my previous car (Lexus CT200h) so I'm familiar with the product line. It really doesn't get much easier with the amp built in, high level input, and auto turn-on feature all for like $250. Pretty amazing.

Reactions: fritzner
I feel like I can barely hear the OEM sub set up I’ve got when driving. The road noise drowns it out. When sitting parked it sounds great. When I drop down one of the back seats it sounds really good. I feel like the trunk is a little too sealed off from the cabin for the sub to sound good.

I ended up buying a P300-8 based on what you did here and also installed it in the factory location. I connected it with the Tesla Offer harness+Sub-out and got power by wiring it to the penthouse. What did you end up using for your Bass Boost, Gain and Crossover settings?

I ended up buying a P300-8 based on what you did here and also installed it in the factory location. I connected it with the Tesla Offer harness+Sub-out and got power by wiring it to the penthouse. What did you end up using for your Bass Boost, Gain and Crossover settings?

Oh great!!

Bass boost I have at zero. I had it about 25% and it was way too boomy. Its not boomy at all at 0. I should try turning it up just a little bit, but it sounds really good the way it is.
I connected the remote gain knob and mounted it where I can reach while driving. With the remote plugged in, it over-rides the knob on the sub. Typically I have the remote bass knob about ~20% but adjust it frequently depending on the song, the volume, and road noise.
I have my cross-over set to ~80%.
My EQ is a "V" with the low frequencies set at 4.5 and steps down by .5-1 to the center, then back up.

I have a Teslaoffer harness with the subwoofer connection. I just don't know where to get the power for the Rockford Fosgate P300-8P. Do you have pictures of all connections? I know very little about this.

I suggest doing the full shutdown procedure when tapping into the penthouse power. That is covered under multiple other threads on here. So far I have not had any of the 12V battery warning messages when using this procedure, and I am running a 400W amp. Not to mention it's safer to have no power at those terminals when working on them.

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz and Hayden
There is 12v power under the rear passenger seat. You can use a ring terminal to get power there. You need an inline fuse with 1-2 feet - you can see mine, its blue-ish with thick red wire in the attached pic. I got my ground from the bolts circled in the same image.

View attachment 654248

View attachment 654249
Where can I buy such a cable with fuse? Is the grounding going to this cable or directly to the amplifier? I really appreciate your expertise