Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

As noted above, I only got 2 years out of my 14-30, so perhaps there are defects in this particular adapter that Tesla has abandoned, despite the absence of any “reporting” of such.

It would be helpful to hear from other owners who rely heavily on the 14-30 as to their experience with reliability. Before I implemented the 14-50 mod/fix that resolved my problem, my 14-30 would occasionally be rather warm (bordering on hot) to the touch when drawing the 24 amps. With the 14-50 drawing the same 24 amps, the adapter is much cooler to the touch. This may be obvious but bears mentioning. I’m no electrician, but doesn’t less heat translate into less wear and tear on the adapter?

If so, perhaps this is yet another benefit to the 14-50 modification over the existing and hard-to-find 14-30. In my opinion, there’s no doubt that a 14-30 adapter is needed. That said, I’m not convinced that the 14-30 provided by Tesla and now discontinued is that adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
For those who wonder what we are talking about:

The "neutral" (actually ground) in the 10-30 is connected to the ground in the 14-50 and the neutral in the 14-50 is left unconnected because it isn't used by Tesla (or other EVs, such as a LEAF).
Please be careful with what you're stating here. A 10-30 has a neutral, but not a ground. In many cases, they are functionally the same -- 240V split-phase installation in the United States ties the neutral and ground together, AT ONE LOCATION for the entire site. Additional interconnections between ground and neutral can cause problems for the grounding system to be able to properly protect against faults. Also note that different types of fault protection (ground fault - GFCI, and arc-fault - AFCI) need to be able to distinguish between neutral and ground. And a portable generator likely does not have an actual ground - the neutral may be 120V from line, but both of those could be floating any distance away from true ground. So abusing ground as neutral may have unintended consequences for sensitive electronics that depend on a true 0 ground.

These warnings shouldn't actually be a problem for EV charging at 240V that does not use a neutral. But having a proper ground instead of just a neutral is why we switched from 10-30 to 14-30 in the first place. Blanket assuming that the neutral on a 10-30 is "ground" is not safe.

...These warnings shouldn't actually be a problem for EV charging at 240V that does not use a neutral. But having a proper ground instead of just a neutral is why we switched from 10-30 to 14-30 in the first place. Blanket assuming that the neutral on a 10-30 is "ground" is not safe.
Just so, thanks for the clarification (it is hard to know how much to say without getting into the weeds, so to speak).

Reactions: ccutrer
Are you saying that Tesla gave in and will be bringing the 10-30 and/or 14-30 adapters back?

I am saying that I barked up all the right trees with your votes (online merchandise, serviceNA, social media, and possibly bothering some people that shouldn't be bothered), and the result was, what I would consider a very reliable source, telling me to expect them available for sale around September/October.

I would also add that I would not say that Tesla "gave in" on this. I think they legitimately did not know the need AND whatever means they used to gauge that need (logging/tracking customers calling in and asking for the adapter) was not adequate enough to communicate that need without outside intervention.

Last edited:
I am saying that I barked up all the right trees with your votes (online merchandise, serviceNA, social media, and possibly bothering some people that shouldn't be bothered), and the result was, what I would consider a very reliable source, telling me to expect them available for sale around September/October.

I would also add that I would not say that Tesla "gave in" on this. I think they legitimately did not know the need AND whatever means they used to gauge that need (logging/tracking customers calling in and asking for the adapter) was not adequate enough to communicate that need without outside intervention.
Thank you for bothering people for a good cause. I look forward to purchasing a 14-30 adapter soon.

In the future what is the best way to let Tesla know that they need to rethink something again?

This confirms what many of us have been saying all along, that some people at Tesla have drunk too much of the supercharger Kool-aid. Probably the same ones who thought 48A charging on the Model X was adequate for everyone. They really need to get out of California more.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Rocky_H
Thank you for bothering people for a good cause. I look forward to purchasing a 14-30 adapter soon.

In the future what is the best way to let Tesla know that they need to rethink something again?

You know, I was just thinking the exact same question. And it really is a good question, despite the dislike rating you received. Here is a very long response that may or may not turn out with an answer.

Tesla has policies and procedures in place for running their company. Their core mission is to build cars, sell cars, and service those cars if need be. The 3 big picture items are well documented and for the most part, run along fine. It's the little corner cases, like this adapter, where the policy and procedure hasn't been finalized yet. It used to be, when Tesla was small, you'd call up whomever you had dealt with in the past, and they would know someone that could help. But now they have 15k employees and growing. While management is flat, I was finding that a lot of people were only really familiar with other people at their level, in their department. The trick was finding the longer term employees that knew people who had moved on to other departments and possibly moved up as well.

I think Tesla has realized that not all of their customers have great ideas. They certainly appreciate all of us for buying cars, but let's face it, some of us have some pretty dumb suggestions on how things should be done. Either because we aren't as smart, or more likely, we don't have all the information.

Whenever you make a suggestion to Tesla through serviceNA, they write it down and send it along it's way. I'm entirely unclear what happens after that. Based on feedback from owners and the sometimes slow-moving results, I tend to think your suggestion gets filed away like Dwights complaints in The Office. But seriously, I'm sure someone looks at them and determines that with the resources Tesla has, A, B, and C can be done, but D, E, and F need to wait. Now, here is where I can only suppose. If 250 people call in and ask for the NEMA 14-30, does that person see a total of requests in a report every 6 months? Or do they only see the daily rate at which those requests come in? Because you could get different results based on which way you look at it, right? "We get this request once a day." would garner more attention than, "We see this request once every two weeks." But, "Over the last 6 months, 250 people have requested this to happen." might be an attention getter as well.

In this specific instance, I took the online voting results and sent them personally, to several departments as well as making follow-up phone calls, and bringing up the subject in person. I don't know exactly where the decision came from if it was any one department. Or if they were in a weekly meeting and three department heads said, "Hey, I had this TMC poll come in.", "Hey, I saw that one too.", "Hey, me too."

I pretty much know for certain that without the voting results, nothing would have been done. Everything is a numbers game with Tesla right now. They need to devote resources to where they will get the most bang for their buck. And one person's request, just isn't going to cut it in getting something done.There could be exceptions on here for people like /u/bonnie who may have a more personal relationship with some of the C-level exces. But even she needs to be discerning in what requests she passes along, for fear of losing influence (I could be wrong here). Tesla employees are very busy people and in my opinion, should only be bothered by really important things. But the flip-side is that rooted in the company mentality is that if it's important to an owner, it's important to Tesla. But what may be important to you, isn't important to me. So back to prioritizing based on the numbers. I firmly believe that if they had the resources, every request would get a personal response and an action.

This ties in with the 7.1 Software Improvement Voting we did almost a year ago. That poll garnered almost 5k votes from over 500 owners with 200 suggestions (and only 150 good ones :) ). We have seen at least 5 items from that list make it into v7 software, and my gut feeling is that we will see some more with v8. Now, it could be that voting did nothing to influence Tesla. And that's a valid conclusion since we really didn't receive any direct feedback from them. But then again, it could have since those features really were requested and they really did make it in.

All that to say this. I think Tesla should have an "Ambassador Board" that is made up of only the crazy of the crazy of us. Those who are out there every day talking about the car, getting comments from owners, possibly getting referrals for sales, active on the forums, etc. This group would provide a rough focusing for Tesla that would act as either a starting point or a litmus test for the direction of certain things Tesla would like to implement. There would be no compensation offered, only a legitimate line of communication to help an ever-growing company stay in touch with an ever growing owner-base.

Any chance Tesla will put the 14-30 adapter back on the web site with a note of available soon or by "whatever date" ?

That would show that they are really serious about doing it.

Maybe someone could start a new poll to find out what other adapters people would like to see. Myself I think the 6-50 should be next and maybe the 6-20 after that.

Any chance Tesla will put the 14-30 adapter back on the web site with a note of available soon or by "whatever date" ?

That would show that they are really serious about doing it.

Maybe someone could start a new poll to find out what other adapters people would like to see. Myself I think the 6-50 should be next and maybe the 6-20 after that.

If they make it, I will buy it. It's just not worth not having when you find yourself in an odd charging situation. Someone requested a new poll for 10-30, but I like your idea on simply voting for which adapter people want to see most, with maybe a two vote limit.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Ordered! Thanks all! If you want to skip the article, here's the link to purchase.

Well done! :cool:

upload_2016-8-25_21-47-36.png

Glad to see they are back in stock (even though we already have a couple of them, thanks to @supratachophobia )

So far, I haven't seen any grammar police postings concerning the product listing. o_O

Holy crap, I didn't even read the listing. It specifically mentions using it at a friend or relatives house. Which is exactly why most of us need it. That's solid.