Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me either.

Am I recalling correctly that Tesla said the re-released 14-30 was not subject to the recall? If so, why stop selling it?

So here is what I heard. They did a second production run of these new adapters. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800 units I think. Well, for that first month, they sold like hotcakes. I mean, I think they burned through 400 adapters in 2 weeks. Right around the same time, I think there was that story of the guys garage burning down and I think maybe he used an original 14-30 adapter. So I think they held back the remaining stock in preparation for warranty replacements of all the original adapters. This doesn't really address the issue of why it is taking so long to get the old ones replaced unless they just don't have enough.

Now, please don't quote me on any of this. I may have misread and/or misheard any or all of that information.

Wow! I would contact Tesla to complain. Recall is better part of 6 months old now isn't it?
True, but I only use the adapter infrequently and mostly outdoors, and in the latter cases, only at 110v. So I've just been patiently waiting for someone to drop one in my lap under the assumption that the people who really need the warranty replacement are the ones using this adapter as their primary charging source. I can wait, others needs are more important.

There's some sort of communication between the adapters and the car. Use a Tesla provided adapter, and the amps are automatically properly limited. Use a third party adapter with the attached tag that tells you to set the max to a certain amperage, and the car will just go to the highest amp setting of the highest Tesla adapter in the line, until you follow the instructions and manually adjust the amps downward (40 amps if using a 50 amp Tesla adapter, despite the 50 amp plug being plugged into a 50 amp extension cord that is plugged into -- whatever -- for instance, a 15 amp, 20 amp, or 30 amp adapter and similar house wiring). What makes it really annoying is that Tesla doesn't release its standards to third party suppliers, who are left with the tagging method for communicating to the car owners to set the amps right in the dash. (At home, we have a properly installed HPWC, but on the road, at a friend's house, that isn't the case.) Even worse, it is not a function in the remote app (on smartphone) to allow you to set amps (or charge time). That means you're stuck getting back into the car to do the right settings.
There are 4 possible resistors that tell the UMC whether it is connected to a 15A, 20A, 30A, or 50A adapter. There is no differentiation between subtypes (a 10-30 and 14-30 adapter use the same resistor, as do the 6-50 and 14-50); the UMC does not know the difference between the 10-30 and 14-30 or 6-50 and 14-50.

Furthermore, when charging on a 14-30 or 10-30, all your car sees is a 24A J1772 pilot signal - it doesn't even know it's connected to a UMC vs a generic J1772.

So Tesla can't tell if I'm charging with my UMC & 14-30, UMC & 10-30, or an OpenEVSE on a dryer circuit. I do all 3, regularly.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
There are 4 possible resistors that tell the UMC whether it is connected to a 15A, 20A, 30A, or 50A adapter. There is no differentiation between subtypes (a 10-30 and 14-30 adapter use the same resistor, as do the 6-50 and 14-50); the UMC does not know the difference between the 10-30 and 14-30 or 6-50 and 14-50.

Furthermore, when charging on a 14-30 or 10-30, all your car sees is a 24A J1772 pilot signal - it doesn't even know it's connected to a UMC vs a generic J1772.

So Tesla can't tell if I'm charging with my UMC & 14-30, UMC & 10-30, or an OpenEVSE on a dryer circuit. I do all 3, regularly.
So, a 30A plug that is plugged into by a 50A Tesla adapter with the proper resister then gets to the car as X amps. Where is the resistor placed? If those are in serial, coudl the resistor be placed on the original 30A in such a way that it adjusts the total resistance to the right pilot level? I can google this.

I found Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772 which says no; in fact, the whole thread is educational about this. Seems that extension cords with adapters were not designed into the standards at all (the one case that you'd think they'd be most worried about). Just watch this bite us when EV's become inexpensive enough for the masses.

Last edited:
I mean, I think they burned through 400 adapters in 2 weeks.
Phrasing! :eek:

I've yet to receive any replacements for any of my own personal recalled adapters....
Haven't seen anything either. As long as I'm not using a recalled adapter for routine daily charging, there's no rush for Tesla to get me a new one. (I have an older 10-30 which I thought I would be using more on trips, but circumstances changed. Still want to keep it with me in the trunk, though, just in case.)

I'd imagine the replacements went to owners who regularly charge at 24A at home, as anything higher would mostly rule out the use of an affected adapter. (Yeah, the 6-50, but those aren't normally found in residences, and if you're arc-welding in your garage, that probably puts you in a different risk profile anyway.)

So, a 30A plug that is plugged into by a 50A Tesla adapter with the proper resister then gets to the car as X amps. Where is the resistor placed? If those are in serial, coudl the resistor be placed on the original 30A in such a way that it adjusts the total resistance to the right pilot level? I can google this.

I found Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772 which says no; in fact, the whole thread is educational about this. Seems that extension cords with adapters were not designed into the standards at all (the one case that you'd think they'd be most worried about). Just watch this bite us when EV's become inexpensive enough for the masses.
I don't understand your question. The resistor in question is inside the plug adapters (connected between the 4th pin and ground, I think). There's a discussion about it here on TMC somewhere (possibly that thread you linked).

It's used to select 1 of 4 possible pilot signals. You can't add some value to reduce the charge rate by x% - there are 4 descret values to choose from. It's not seen directly by the car. There's no way to modify it without destroying the adapter.

I don't understand your question. The resistor in question is inside the plug adapters (connected between the 4th pin and ground, I think). There's a discussion about it here on TMC somewhere (possibly that thread you linked).

It's used to select 1 of 4 possible pilot signals. You can't add some value to reduce the charge rate by x% - there are 4 descret values to choose from. It's not seen directly by the car. There's no way to modify it without destroying the adapter.
Is it possible to incorporate more signals in the future if they are done on the hardware adapter side as well as the software car side?

Is it possible to incorporate more signals in the future if they are done on the hardware adapter side as well as the software car side?
It's not a software change on the car side, but likely inside the UMC itself. The UMC recognizes 4 values that we know of (If you search here for "33.16k" you'll find 8 posts with the list):

40 amps - 9.08k ohms
24 amps - 33.16k ohms
16 amps - 75k ohms
12 amps - 140k ohms

Does the UMC support other values? Who knows? If you wanted something different, you'd need to build a new adapter with another resistor, and likely update the microcode in the UMC to recognize the new value. It's the UMC's microcode that recognizes the resistor value and generates the correct pilot signal to the car to control the max current allowed.

Some Canadian owners have UMC/14-50 combo's that charge at 32A. I don't think anyone knows if there's a 5th undocumented resistor value for 32A, or if there's a special Canadian microcode that re-assigns 9.08k to 32A.

Phrasing! :eek:

Haven't seen anything either. As long as I'm not using a recalled adapter for routine daily charging, there's no rush for Tesla to get me a new one. (I have an older 10-30 which I thought I would be using more on trips, but circumstances changed. Still want to keep it with me in the trunk, though, just in case.)

I'd imagine the replacements went to owners who regularly charge at 24A at home, as anything higher would mostly rule out the use of an affected adapter. (Yeah, the 6-50, but those aren't normally found in residences, and if you're arc-welding in your garage, that probably puts you in a different risk profile anyway.)
Many J1772 chargers come with a 6-50 plug, so those of us coming to Tesla from other EVs that had a EVSE installed in our garages likely already have a 6-50 outlet.

It's not a software change on the car side, but likely inside the UMC itself. The UMC recognizes 4 values that we know of (If you search here for "33.16k" you'll find 8 posts with the list):

40 amps - 9.08k ohms
24 amps - 33.16k ohms
16 amps - 75k ohms
12 amps - 140k ohms

Does the UMC support other values? Who knows? If you wanted something different, you'd need to build a new adapter with another resistor, and likely update the microcode in the UMC to recognize the new value. It's the UMC's microcode that recognizes the resistor value and generates the correct pilot signal to the car to control the max current allowed.

Some Canadian owners have UMC/14-50 combo's that charge at 32A. I don't think anyone knows if there's a 5th undocumented resistor value for 32A, or if there's a special Canadian microcode that re-assigns 9.08k to 32A.
Very interesting about Canada. I wonder if they have different UMCs....

And come to think of it, there must be another code because dont the newer cars do 48amps? Or is that only achievable with the HPWC?

Very interesting about Canada. I wonder if they have different UMCs....

Interestingly, they do not. It was all done in the adapter. Which, I think, means that the UMC was designed from the start to support at least that additional current level. My guess would be that it supports a fairly continuous range of current limits.

I'm sure someone has done enough poking around with the UMC to verify this. I did a few quick searches, but didn't immediately find anything.