Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, they do not. It was all done in the adapter. Which, I think, means that the UMC was designed from the start to support at least that additional current level. My guess would be that it supports a fairly continuous range of current limits.

I'm sure someone has done enough poking around with the UMC to verify this. I did a few quick searches, but didn't immediately find anything.
Yes, I do recall that being tested by someone. When they had gone into a Canadian service center, they got that unpleasant surprise with getting the replacement adapter and found it could only do 32A. But then they were able to borrow a U.S. 14-50 adapter, and it would still do 40A.

Interestingly, they do not. It was all done in the adapter. Which, I think, means that the UMC was designed from the start to support at least that additional current level. My guess would be that it supports a fairly continuous range of current limits.

I'm sure someone has done enough poking around with the UMC to verify this. I did a few quick searches, but didn't immediately find anything.
So the count is at 5 unless they are somehow also able to take a special 14-60/6-60 that can support 48amps with the right adapter.

Yes, I do recall that being tested by someone. When they had gone into a Canadian service center, they got that unpleasant surprise with getting the replacement adapter and found it could only do 32A. But then they were able to borrow a U.S. 14-50 adapter, and it would still do 40A.
I can definitely confirm that I have a US UMC, a US 14-50, and a Canadian 14-50. Just swapping the adapter changes the 32/40A limit that the car sees. I got it because I have a 14-50 on a 40A circuit (which is legal in certain circumstances). Technically it's wired for a 50A, but I dropped he breaker down to 40A and used the Canadian adapter when I got another EV, and the load calc on my house couldn't support charging both at the same time.

awesome! Just what I needed - so with this one the car will auto-detect a max of 30 amps? (I mean 24 amps continuous draw)
Yes, that's correct.

There seems to be some movement on the adapter recall replacement front. My wife got an email asking her to confirm her shipping address (she originally ordered the adapter, so they had her email instead of mine.)

I might never buy the adapter, but I used to be able to tell people that if they bought the car, they could already charge it with the outlet in their garage and worry about getting a different outlet later. For some people it would be a better deal to replace their old dryer with a gas dryer, especially if they have a gas fitting.

I might never buy the adapter, but I used to be able to tell people that if they bought the car, they could already charge it with the outlet in their garage and worry about getting a different outlet later. For some people it would be a better deal to replace their old dryer with a gas dryer, especially if they have a gas fitting.

What adapters will the car come with? It sounds like it will come w a 5-15 regular outlet adapter for 120v and does it also come with a nema 14/50?

What adapters will the car come with? It sounds like it will come w a 5-15 regular outlet adapter for 120v and does it also come with a nema 14/50?
The car comes with three adapters: NEMA 5-15, NEMA 14-50, and SAE J1772. (If you buy the mobile connector bundle separately, you only get the first two.)

I have a question : is it the 14-30 adapter itself that limits current? What is the other side of the Tesla 14-30 adapter look like? My charging plug for the 14-30 is going to be about 4 feet in front of the car's left corner. I may have a use an extension cord - if so should I get a 14-30 extension cord? ( I know it's not ideal and I may end up backing in the car to charge it - eventually I plan to get a room addition done and build a garage extension with the 14-50

I have a question : is it the 14-30 adapter itself that limits current? What is the other side of the Tesla 14-30 adapter look like? My charging plug for the 14-30 is going to be about 4 feet in front of the car's left corner. I may have a use an extension cord - if so should I get a 14-30 extension cord? ( I know it's not ideal and I may end up backing in the car to charge it - eventually I plan to get a room addition done and build a garage extension with the 14-50
The cable that comes on the UMC supplied with the car is about 25 feet long. It should reach easily.

Yes, it is the Tesla adapter that tells the UMC to limit current to 24 amps.

Reactions: cybergates
The cable that comes on the UMC supplied with the car is about 25 feet long. It should reach easily.

Yes, it is the Tesla adapter that tells the UMC to limit current to 24 amps.
UMC says 20 feet. Was it always that long? I thought it was 15 before.
Tesla — Mobile Connector Bundle
Yeah, a 14-30 extension would be fine. They're not exactly a normal type of item to find, but you should be able to come up with one.

You are correct, 20 feet it is for my 2014 UMC, once I got home to measure it. The car is about 14½ feet from front to charge port. So an outlet 4 feet from the left front of the car will make it, but it wont be easy as I suggested above. I'd just back in, since the rear camera and parking sensors (assuming that one has them), make that really easy.

Yeah, a 14-30 extension would be fine. They're not exactly a normal type of item to find, but you should be able to come up with one.
I'm using a 10-30 extension cord that I made myself (because 10-30 is what my dryer uses). Within the last few months I received a replacement 14-30 adapter from Tesla, as they had me on record as having one. I guess it's one that I got as an accessory back in '13, but had never used and took me about a month to locate for return. The cabling I used consisted of three insulated #10 stranded copper leads with a fourth ground lead. That should still serve for a 14-30 extension cord. You should be able to find 14-30 sockets and plugs if you want to do it yourself.
This cord was about 50ft long and I've never had a problem with charging with it.

There are two options for 14-30 extension i found:

This one is the simplest but not so easy to repeatedly unplug and plug :

#1: Amazon.com: AC Connectors NEMA 14-30 4 Prong Dryer SOOW 10/4 30A 125/250Volt Anti-Weather, Oils, Acids and Chemicals Rubber Extension Cord … (25FT): Home Improvement

Option #2: Im leaning toward this second option which is a nema 14-50 cord : Amazon.com: Camco 55194 50 AMP 15' PowerGrip Extension Cord: Automotive This cord can be great for any 14/50 hookups in the future as i plan one day to get a 14:50 wired in. But I will need a pigtail adapter:
Amazon.com : Conntek 30A NEMA 14-30P to 50-Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter Cord for Tesla : Sports & Outdoors

At this point I could simply use tesla 14-50 connector but would have to remember to dial down the ampage. I also have the newly re-released 14-30 tesla adapter: Tesla — NEMA 14-30

But would need one more pigtail to complete the transition: (this one is very hard to find:
Amazon.com: MALE 14-50P 4-PRONG PLUG to FEMALE 14-30R 4-PIN RECEPTACLE RANGE / STOVE / OVEN / DRYER ADAPTER 220 HOME APPLIANCE POWER CORD WIRE CONVERTER 50A-125/250V. GETWIREDUSA FX364: Home Improvement

Option3: Back the car in reverse and connect directly. WIll the summon feature back it up for me?

Last edited: