Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, please vote. I know for a fact that Tesla is aware of this thread.
That is good to know that they are aware of this. They should be aware...and embarrassed. It is downright irresponsible that they don't offer any adapter at the 30A level that will automatically keep the current limited to 24A. If they even offered one, we would have a safe way to use 10-30, 14-30, TT-30, L6-30, etc. For someone who mentioned that you can cut a 14-50 adapter to make it fit, yes, of course, but that's not the main thing. It's not just about getting power from the outlet. It's about having the UMC know and set the current limit.

I logged in to reply to this thread...

I use a Tesla 14-30 adapter as my primary charging option at home each night for my Model S. My home is newer and had a 14-30 outlet existing in the garage. I had an electrician come out to evaluate re-wiring it to 14-50. Unfortunately, the wiring conduit is so tight and has so many turns that it would be very difficult to pull a thicker gauge wire through the conduit. The other option I have is to bury a line from my breaker box, across the front yard and through the garage wall.

I was fortunate enough to find a Tesla 14-30 adapter at a service center and purchase it.

Also, haven't there been problems with mobile connectors failing due to heat issues when using a 14-50 at 40amps every night? 24 amps nightly has not caused any issues for me and I've never had less than desired charge in the car when I'm ready to go.

Definitely would like to see Tesla offer more adapters in their store.

That is good to know that they are aware of this. They should be aware...and embarrassed. It is downright irresponsible that they don't offer any adapter at the 30A level that will automatically keep the current limited to 24A. If they even offered one, we would have a safe way to use 10-30, 14-30, TT-30, L6-30, etc. For someone who mentioned that you can cut a 14-50 adapter to make it fit, yes, of course, but that's not the main thing. It's not just about getting power from the outlet. It's about having the UMC know and set the current limit.
Absolutely. The setting will sometimes change back to the maximum for the Tesla adapter which is higher than the correct adapter would be. I doubt anyone will check every single time they plug in, but that's what's needed if you use a cheater adapter.

I can see it from a perception viewpoint. Q: "How long does it take to charge your car?" A: "12-16hrs" - Not exactly a ringing endorsement for electric vehicles.

I mean, it's great they want everyone to go the 14-50 route for the best experiance, but I think it's a little presumptuous to assume that everyone can or wants to. But hey, the flip-side is that they really just didn't know how popular it would become. This is where we can let them know.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I logged in to reply to this thread...

I use a Tesla 14-30 adapter as my primary charging option at home each night for my Model S. My home is newer and had a 14-30 outlet existing in the garage. I had an electrician come out to evaluate re-wiring it to 14-50. Unfortunately, the wiring conduit is so tight and has so many turns that it would be very difficult to pull a thicker gauge wire through the conduit. The other option I have is to bury a line from my breaker box, across the front yard and through the garage wall.

I was fortunate enough to find a Tesla 14-30 adapter at a service center and purchase it.

Also, haven't there been problems with mobile connectors failing due to heat issues when using a 14-50 at 40amps every night? 24 amps nightly has not caused any issues for me and I've never had less than desired charge in the car when I'm ready to go.

Definitely would like to see Tesla offer more adapters in their store.

There were early reports of some adapters over-heating (they had the grey centers inside, new ones are black). As far as I know, this does not happen any more. Glad you found a 14-30 when you could. And I think your example is fairly common, at least from what I heard from those that needed to get adapters from me.

I can see it from a perception viewpoint. Q: "How long does it take to charge your car?" A: "12-16hrs" - Not exactly a ringing endorsement for electric vehicles.

I mean, it's great they want everyone to go the 14-50 route for the best experiance, but I think it's a little presumptuous to assume that everyone can or wants to. But hey, the flip-side is that they really just didn't know how popular it would become. This is where we can let them know.
Oh, I do see it from a perception viewpoint--big time, but not the one you bring up. I frequently have people asking about, what kind of charging station you need and how expensive it is. I always like to mention how Tesla was brilliant with their charging system over most of the other electric cars, in that it doesn't have to use an official J1772 "electric car charging station". It has these great adapters, so you can use whatever kind of electrical outlet you find, so it makes it really convenient and easy to find charging. So then: "Oh, like an electric dryer outlet?" "Uh, well, uh, they used to have those, but now they don't, so you can't really do that anymore..."

There were early reports of some adapters over-heating (they had the grey centers inside, new ones are black). As far as I know, this does not happen any more. Glad you found a 14-30 when you could. And I think your example is fairly common, at least from what I heard from those that needed to get adapters from me.
I don't believe it ever happened with the 14-30. Not surprising as it doesn't potentially get as warm.

An even worse perception is: "I can't charge at my [parent's|kid's|relative's|friend's] house when I stay there because they only have a dryer outlet and the only thing I can plug into is 110V. Sorry, I just don't see the charge time with the 14-30 as being a problem.

I suspect it's an issue of cost. Tesla has to order a fairly large quantity to get a decent price.

If this was the excuse, why did they recently start offering 6-15 adapters? Half the charging rate of the 14-30, and many fewer installations of this outlet. The car always came with the 14-50 adapter as standard and a 30A adapter had to be purchased separately-- only by those who had reason to inquire about them knew what they were for.

An even worse perception is: "I can't charge at my [parent's|kid's|relative's|friend's] house when I stay there because they only have a dryer outlet and the only thing I can plug into is 110V. Sorry, I just don't see the charge time with the 14-30 as being a problem.

I suspect it's an issue of cost. Tesla has to order a fairly large quantity to get a decent price.
This is not a good issue. They could simply stop selling them individually, make a "charging kit" so they'd achieve volume production on every type, and include 10 of them in the kit.

Reactions: Az_Rael
On a side note, as an ambassador for electric vehicles, I would sure hope you would not answer that question that way. People do not fill up their car from 0 to 100% every night. You're making it sound worse than it is. I explain that we usually drive about 20 or 30 miles in a day, so it kicks on for an hour or so during the night while I'm sleeping. Same thing with a dryer outlet, that if you did 100 miles during the day, at about 17 mph charging rate, it would be about 6 hours during the night while you're sleeping.

On a side note, as an ambassador for electric vehicles, I would sure hope you would not answer that question that way. People do not fill up their car from 0 to 100% every night. You're making it sound worse than it is. I explain that we usually drive about 20 or 30 miles in a day, so it kicks on for an hour or so during the night while I'm sleeping. Same thing with a dryer outlet, that if you did 100 miles during the day, at about 17 mph charging rate, it would be about 6 hours during the night while you're sleeping.

An inexperienced model 3 owner would, which is who I'm most worried about when it comes to charging hacks.

I personally use a NEMA 10-30 adapter at home, since that's the only outlet I really have. (Older dryer outlet in the garage, as I have a gas dryer.) The house doesn't really have the electrical service to support anything better, and it was really my only option without putting in major electrical work. I'm just glad I ordered my adapter immediately after placing my deposit for the car, as they discontinued it not long after.

I'm moving soon, and will be fortunate in that my next house will have a maxed-out HPWC installed, but the 10-30 and 14-30 adapters are really important options for charging at houses of people who aren't already wired for EV charging. Anything else is too hard to find, or doesn't provide enough power. It almost feels like there should be some sort of 3rd-party-accessory market for these adapters, provided that someone can make them with the same current-limiting controls as the official ones.

• Informative
I say it takes 30 seconds. 15 seconds to plug in when I get home and 15 seconds to unplug in the morning. Just like your phone. Who knows (or cares) how many hours your phone takes to charge when it's plugged in overnight?

But they think they do. Probably the #1 question people ask me. "How long does it take to go to 0 to 100%?"