Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thought: I'd be happy with a 14-50 adapter with a switch on it that I could use to dial down the available amperage. That way I'm not reliant on the car I plug in to do it for me. I think the biggest problem here is there are no connectors limited to 24 amp draw....it's not that a specific plug isn't available.

Another thought: I'd be happy with a 14-50 adapter with a switch on it that I could use to dial down the available amperage. That way I'm not reliant on the car I plug in to do it for me.
Right, but how can Tesla be sure that everyone flips the switch appropriately. It's the same problem as using a cheater adapter. There's some liability here for Tesla if they make such an item.

Right, but how can Tesla be sure that everyone flips the switch appropriately. It's the same problem as using a cheater adapter. There's some liability here for Tesla if they make such an item.
They can't. I'm not saying it's an ideal answer, but it's much better because as long as I leave that charger plugged into a 30 Amp circuit, I can be sure that no Tesla will try to draw more than the 24 amps that's available.

Because of economies of scale. Tesla clearly doesn't want to produce unpopular adapters, the only solution is to make adapters the exact same popularity, or the adapter that only 10% of owners want does not get produced.

Seeing as how nothing Tesla sells is at a loss, a $45 adapter, plus tax, plus shipping ($65+), no matter how small the margin is, should still be available for those that need it. Especially so the end user doesn't have to resort to some hack that may damage the mobile charger or the infrastructure wiring.

Reactions: GSP and MP3Mike
Because of economies of scale. Tesla clearly doesn't want to produce unpopular adapters, the only solution is to make adapters the exact same popularity, or the adapter that only 10% of owners want does not get produced.
This explanation would have made sense until they came out with the 6-15 adapter a few months ago, after the 14-30 and 10-30 were discontinued. Who uses a 6-15 adapter? The demand for the two discontinued 30A adapters must be at least an order of magnitude greater than the demand for a 6-15 adapter.

This is not a good issue. They could simply stop selling them individually, make a "charging kit" so they'd achieve volume production on every type, and include 10 of them in the kit.

I would like the kit idea. I will most likely buy all of the adapters available + the chademo (and hopefully CCS) adapters for my Model 3. If I could buy them all in some sort of "super adapter kit" vs buying each on individually that would be great. Maybe they would all come with a nice bag or box to keep everything nice and organized in my frunk.

( I was a Girl Scout and I have seen lots of crazy plugs at older "EV charge stations" that could be utilized if I have an adapter. )

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Every adapter is nice, but not completely necessary. Over 4 years and 80K + miles I have likely used most adapters at least once. It is a nice peace of mind to know that if you find electricity you can charge from it.

Along those same lines, I've used every adapter at least once as well, but the 14-30 is a must have for winters at the in-laws. And the 6-50 is a must have for the summers in South Carolina.

Not saying this is practical, but a mechanical switch could conceivably change neutral blades at the same time it changes resistors - might be a bit more bulky than the current units.

Not saying this is practical, but a mechanical switch could conceivably change neutral blades at the same time it changes resistors - might be a bit more bulky than the current units.
All you need is a 14-50 non-conductive neutral blade that is spring-loaded on a low-voltage switch. When you plug into 14-30, you flip to the right amperage signaling.

Now which would cost less for Tesla, that adapter or just making 2 dumb adapters, who knows.

Reactions: CliffG
Another thought: I'd be happy with a 14-50 adapter with a switch on it that I could use to dial down the available amperage. That way I'm not reliant on the car I plug in to do it for me. I think the biggest problem here is there are no connectors limited to 24 amp draw....it's not that a specific plug isn't available.
Would have been very nice. I passed on buying a JESLA because my install had a 40a breaker on a 6-50 receptacle. I instead went with an OpenEVSE which I can set to any amperage.