Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 buyers are less likely to want to put in a new outlet than Model S buyers, but being told that an outlet might cost 2500 will be a deal breaker for some.
I'd also like to see some thought put into a device/adapter/whatever that plugs into a dryer outlet and has a plug for the dryer to then plug into. The thought is that while the car is charging, the dryer would be unavailable. A simple solution for those that have an outlet that is in use some of the time.

Perhaps. Until FlasherZ tells me the world will catch fire when such a thing is used by mere mortals. ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I'd also like to see some thought put into a device/adapter/whatever that plugs into a dryer outlet and has a plug for the dryer to then plug into. The thought is that while the car is charging, the dryer would be unavailable. A simple solution for those that have an outlet that is in use some of the time.

Perhaps. Until FlasherZ tells me the world will catch fire when such a thing is used by mere mortals. ;)

Someone will manage to start a fire with it and blame Tesla......

A better option would be a manual shunt. Or is that what you are describing?

Someone will manage to start a fire with it and blame Tesla......

A better option would be a manual shunt. Or is that what you are describing?
The idea is to have it automatically prioritize plugged-in-car-that-needs-charging and make the dryer available otherwise.

Imagine you have two of the newer HPWCs connected to two cars. Now replace the second car with a dryer. Now add logic such that while the dryer is actively pulling "non-trivial" amounts of electricity it is promised that it will not be preempted by the car for at least an hour. The idea is that the power is "sticky" on the dryer until it's idle for at least an hour. (You don't want the car waking up every 5 minutes to trickle charge and preventing the laundry from finishing.)

The idea is to have it automatically prioritize plugged-in-car-that-needs-charging and make the dryer available otherwise.

Imagine you have two of the newer HPWCs connected to two cars. Now replace the second car with a dryer. Now add logic such that while the dryer is actively pulling "non-trivial" amounts of electricity it is promised that it will not be preempted by the car for at least an hour. The idea is that the power is "sticky" on the dryer until it's idle for at least an hour. (You don't want the car waking up every 5 minutes to trickle charge and preventing the laundry from finishing.)
I'm wondering what the electrical codes are for that. Essentially you are Daisy chaining two sockets right?

Have you seen The Dryer Buddy?

Since Tesla can remotely read the cars I'm sure they know exactly which adapters are used and how much.

I agree with this thread that it is a shame they discontinued 14-30. But 6-50 Is common too and better when you wire from scratch since you save the unused neutral wire. For this reason I would rather have wired my new garage with 6-50s instead of 14-50s if the Model S would have come with a 6-50 adapter. Any idea why they discontinued 6-50?

I have experienced when charging at vacation houses that while 14-30 is often available, it sometimes comes with the need for an extension cord when the dryer is in a room some distance away from the garage. How do you all solve this?

Since Tesla can remotely read the cars I'm sure they know exactly which adapters are used and how much.

I agree with this thread that it is a shame they discontinued 14-30. But 6-50 Is common too and better when you wire from scratch since you save the unused neutral wire. For this reason I would rather have wired my new garage with 6-50s instead of 14-50s if the Model S would have come with a 6-50 adapter. Any idea why they discontinued 6-50?

I have experienced when charging at vacation houses that while 14-30 is often available, it sometimes comes with the need for an extension cord when the dryer is in a room some distance away from the garage. How do you all solve this?

I actually used the leftover 6-3 cable for the 14-50 install, to make a 12 foot 14-30 extension cord. It's all very above board, with proper ends and wiring and all. But you are so correct in that an extension is often needed for hard to reach dryer locations.

Oh, and while Tesla does know how you are charging, if you don't have the adapter to begin with, then you can't use it, and therefore it doesn't give a proper view of the actual need.

Great idea ...

upload_2016-5-16_20-52-37.png

That's what Tesla is charging. No way it costs that much to manufacture at scale. It should cost little more than a common household plug. I also gave the solution for that above.

You want to talk about $500+ of unnecessary expense, go see what I think of the UMC. Completely unnecessary. Yet everyone fights for the reason for that thing to exist.
I couldn't charge at home or in RV parks or at the B&Bs I stay at if I didn't have a UMC. It's completely necessary.

What many(most?) Tesla owners do is have a 14-50 RV extension cord, since they can be bought off the shelf easily, and then they buy a few adapter cables that have a 14-50 receptacle on one side (for the extension cord to plug into) with a plug on the other for 14-30, 10-30, etc. for whatever outlet you are trying to use. It is very versatile, since you can use that one extension cord for everything, but does not automatically manage the current levels. You are using a Tesla 14-50 adapter on your UMC to hook up to it, so it will think it can draw 40A from it. If you are then adapting it to a 30A dryer outlet, you will need to MAKE SURE to turn the current down in the car to 24A or less.

If I were to do it over again, though, I would make my own extension cord. The real 14-50 extension cords are 3 thick wires and a thinner ground wire--pretty freaking heavy and stiff. The Tesla charging system doesn't even use the neutral wire, so you could eliminate one of those thick wires, and for a 30 or 50 foot run, that's some pretty significant weight.

Sorry for the newb question, but I'm one of those who doesn't know a volt from an amp. There is talk earlier in this thread of ensuring that you "turn down the amps manually" with some of the solutions. Is that something you would have to be cognizant of with the Dryer Buddy? This seems like a perfect solution for me as I don't put enough miles on to require the faster charge of a 14-50, but can envision wanting something more than 110v when sudden plans to take a long drive the next morning come up.

Sorry for the newb question, but I'm one of those who doesn't know a volt from an amp. There is talk earlier in this thread of ensuring that you "turn down the amps manually" with some of the solutions. Is that something you would have to be cognizant of with the Dryer Buddy? This seems like a perfect solution for me as I don't put enough miles on to require the faster charge of a 14-50, but can envision wanting something more than 110v when sudden plans to take a long drive the next morning come up.
That's a good question. With the 10-30 and 14-30 options for the Dryer Buddy and the 10-30 and 14-30 adapter plugs from Tesla, you wouldn't have to adjust the amps manually since the Tesla adapters would handle that automatically.

I haven't read the specs concerning the Dryer Buddy to see if it automatically limits the 14-50 plugs to 30 amps. That would be a great feature if it did since then people wouldn't have to try to track down those elusive 10-30 and 14-30 Tesla adapters.

LOL no they can't read my 50A extension cable or my ability to plug into 6 different kinds of North American plugs in addition to the 3 official Tesla adapters I have. They have no idea I assure you. See *I* don't have a problem plugging into 14-30 thanks to this home-built collection, and I thus have really no need to buy an official 14-30 either, probably as others have done which artificially deflates the demand for them

From what I can see it's just an adapter from a 30a plug to two outlets, with a volt and amp meter wired in. It is up to the user to not dry and charge at the same time, and YES, you would have to make sure the car didn't draw more than the plug could provide, either by dialing the car down or using a 30a UMC adapter.