Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just purchased a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter at my local ACE hardware store today. 21.95. The store had a "camper" and RV display and there it was! Made by Camco.
There are lots of such adapters, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the native UMC 14-30 adapter that automatically sets the correct amps. When you use the adapter you bought the car will set charging at 40A and you will have to remember to manually set it to 24A. And check that setting every time you use it. That's not as safe as using the native UMC 14-30 adapter.

Just purchased a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter at my local ACE hardware store today. 21.95. The store had a "camper" and RV display and there it was! Made by Camco.

Uh, I am almost certain what you got was not a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter, especially not if you got it in the camping section of a store. There is no usable purpose a store would sell a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter. What I am almost sure you got is a 14-50 to TT-30, and it WILL NOT work for charging your Tesla, because it is wired wrong. Those adapters are in camping sections, because they are to allow mobile homes, requiring a 14-50 outlet to plug into the TT-30 outlets at some campgrounds if a 14-50 is not available and at least have their 120V power.

At EVSE adapters, they do have a 14-50 to TT-30 that is wired correctly for the Tesla charging system, and they have this note on it:

Please note: You may have seen similar adapters sold elsewhere. Although they look the same, they are wired very differently inside. Those adapters are wired for RV use and will not work with the Tesla. Ours is wired for the Tesla and will not work with RVs.”

Uh, I am almost certain what you got was not a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter, especially not if you got it in the camping section of a store. There is no usable purpose a store would sell a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter. What I am almost sure you got is a 14-50 to TT-30, and it WILL NOT work for charging your Tesla, because it is wired wrong. Those adapters are in camping sections, because they are to allow mobile homes, requiring a 14-50 outlet to plug into the TT-30 outlets at some campgrounds if a 14-50 is not available and at least have their 120V power.

At EVSE adapters, they do have a 14-50 to TT-30 that is wired correctly for the Tesla charging system, and they have this note on it:

Please note: You may have seen similar adapters sold elsewhere. Although they look the same, they are wired very differently inside. Those adapters are wired for RV use and will not work with the Tesla. Ours is wired for the Tesla and will not work with RVs.”

Also, if you plug your Tesla into said adapter, it won't charge. If you re-wire it properly, it will work with the Tesla. But after that, if you try to use it with an RV, things will explode.

Keep in mind that if you can locate either a 10-30 or 14-30 from a service center, then you can convert to any plug on the receptacle end. Both adapters will limit the draw to 24 amps which then allows for multiple plug-end options. I do, however, agree that Tesla needs to start making these again as I've advocated in other threads.

I just added my vote for 14-30. Though I can wire a 14-50R to the garage for $1000+ extra, I would rather use the existing 30A subpanel and a proper tesla adapter. Not having to remind myself and verify the 24A setting is a no brainer.

Tesla stopping 14-30 and then 10-30 sale is the proof they are more popular and ran out first. Tesla was caught unprepared.

Yes, still don't understand why they discontinued them.

It seems to me that more home-builders and ilk are adding 14-30 outlets as EV charging options (there was a recent thread about an apartment complex adding 14-30s and my own experience with a new home).

I suspect they are comfortable with 14-30s for dryer use and are inclined to add 14-30s to the garage, where you could add an extra dryer if you wanted (a reasonably logical location for one if you think like a home builder).

Someone else had posted that they use 14-50s for ovens, but if you think like a builder why would they want to put a 14-50 in the garage since it could only be used for EVs and ovens. Who is going to put an oven in the garage? I suspect they are less interested in getting the necessary permitting etc for the 14-50, even if it isn't that much.

I suspect that 14-30s will gradually become the future of many built in EV charge point in (non-custom) homes due mainly to builder comfort with the plug. I have commented to my builder that they should convert to 14-50s for EV parking in the future, which I doubt will happen.

Thus I hope and wish Tesla will reintroduce the 14-30 adapter.

Reactions: jerry33
Unlikely, because Tesla started selling a 6-15 adapter long after the two 30A ones were discontinued. The reason for discontinuing them remains a mystery.
Though the 6-15 starts earlier and keeps on selling, I am not sure the demand on 6-15 is as high as xx-30. Think about the home setting, how many homes have easily "accessible" xx-30 sockets and how many have 6-15 or 6-20 only ? driers use xx-30, air conditioners use 6-15 or 6-20. When both are available, people likely opt for the xx-30. I bet there are higher demand on xx-30. Anyway, that is my theory on why xx-30s run out first. Will see if tesla reintroduce them.

I tend to agree with GoTslaGo, 30A is a lot easier than 50A to build and it is good enough for daily use. For long distance, Tesla nailed it.

Though the 6-15 starts earlier and keeps on selling, I am not sure the demand on 6-15 is as high as xx-30. Think about the home setting, how many homes have easily "accessible" xx-30 sockets and how many have 6-15 or 6-20 only ? driers use xx-30, air conditioners use 6-15 or 6-20. When both are available, people likely opt for the xx-30. I bet there are higher demand on xx-30. Anyway, that is my theory on why xx-30s run out first. Will see if tesla reintroduce them.

I tend to agree with GoTslaGo, 30A is a lot easier than 50A to build and it is good enough for daily use. For long distance, Tesla nailed it.

You are misunderstanding what happened, as indicated by your incorrect terminology: “ran out first”.

Tesla intentionally discontinued and stopped making the 30A adapters, not “ran out”. And after they had become unavailable, they created and started offering the 6-15 adapter that hardly anyone wanted.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
I see. Thanks for the correction. Why would tesla prefer 6-15 over 14-30 ? I don't see the reason behind.

Heh, yeah, look farther upthread for people wondering about the ridiculous decision to offer a 6-15 adapter. They just don’t exist out in the world much. Hotel air conditioners are generally 6-20, with a T shaped slot, which can take either a 6-20 plug or 6-15 plug, the same way outdoor house outlets that are 5-20 have a T shaped slot to take either 5-20 or 5-15 plugs. But then if 6-20 are the only real outlets you can find, why does Tesla offer 6-15, which can only use 12 amps of it instead of 16?

I spoke with a store Manager and asked why they stopped making these. Answer was because people were burning their houses down due to old wiring. This only makes limited sense to me, but if true, the odds of someone burning their house down without the adapter are probably higher. Difference is that tesla doesn't wear the liability.

Reactions: mattmass
I spoke with a store Manager and asked why they stopped making these. Answer was because people were burning their houses down due to old wiring. This only makes limited sense to me, but if true, the odds of someone burning their house down without the adapter are probably higher. Difference is that tesla doesn't wear the liability.

Interesting. I have heard of the 14-50 being associated with house fires (recall in 2014: Tesla Recalls 29,000 Model S Chargers Over Fire Concerns), but never the 14-30. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It would make sense that Tesla would prefer everyone to use their HPWC or have a certified electrician put in a 14-50 (especially since they now have a dedicated 14-50 UMC) to minimize risk of house fires.