Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, we need android auto and car play

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I want to first say that I am happy with my Y so far. However, it seems to me that other non-EV and EV manufactures have figured out how to provide android and car play into their offering. This is marketed as the most advanced car on the market, but it lacks all the most advanced features that I have had in other cars (not talking about auto pilot or EV). My wife's 2017 Honda CR-V has car play, Sirius, and android auto (not even talking about true BSM0). I am kind of over the updates for games, Netflix and now Disney. How about giving us the items that we use to make our long commute enjoyable. I should not need to look at my phone to use these items when I have a large display to use. I think that with all of the other EV entering the market and offering these items is a look into how they looked at the mistakes that Tesla made and not repeating them. I for one would have looked at other manufacturers just for these items being offered by them. I would just like to say before the hate replies start, we all paid the same amount for the car, I am not bashing the car. I just expected by now they would have figured out how to provide us with a product that I can get in a Honda civic.

Ok, I want to first say that I am happy with my Y so far. However, it seems to me that other non-EV and EV manufactures have figured out how to provide android and car play into their offering. This is marketed as the most advanced car on the market, but it lacks all the most advanced features that I have had in other cars (not talking about auto pilot or EV). My wife's 2017 Honda CR-V has car play, Sirius, and android auto (not even talking about true BSM0). I am kind of over the updates for games, Netflix and now Disney. How about giving us the items that we use to make our long commute enjoyable. I should not need to look at my phone to use these items when I have a large display to use. I think that with all of the other EV entering the market and offering these items is a look into how they looked at the mistakes that Tesla made and not repeating them. I for one would have looked at other manufacturers just for these items being offered by them. I would just like to say before the hate replies start, we all paid the same amount for the car, I am not bashing the car. I just expected by now they would have figured out how to provide us with a product that I can get in a Honda civic.
In order to implement CarPlay, it would require collaboration between Tesla and Apple, and I just don’t think the two companies see eye to eye. Elon wants total control of the software and hardware (ironically the same as Apple feels) and likely doesn’t want Apple’s software integrated into a Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
For better or worse, Tesla has been very clear from the beginning that they (and they alone) will control the UX. Allowing Apple or Android would negate this so it's not about "...but it's on a Honda". It's because Tesla does not want their UX to be interfered with.

For better or worse, Tesla has been very clear from the beginning that they (and they alone) will control the UX. Allowing Apple or Android would negate this so it's not about "...but it's on a Honda". It's because Tesla does not want their UX to be interfered with.
Isn't AA/CP more like a screen mirror? i always thought it was the phone doing everything n just displaying on the car...
I don't care for Apple but would love to have AA. Its just so much easier to use Google maps for everything since i already have hundreds of pins n love their interface. Or at least it would be nice to somehow sync data or something like Cast on TVs...

Drove my model Y for a week and it's just hell trying to send a message or make a call. The current experience is just abysmal. Tesla couldn't send iMessage, and voice command couldn't recognise my contact.

I don't have any use of the streaming services, no interest in the games/toys, I just want to have a better driving experience. I don't mind the Tesla OS handling the "car" stuff solely, like I don't need Siri messing with climate control. In turn I don't want Tesla trying to perform my phones function neither.

I can see totally see why 79% of US buyer (with an iPhone) puts CarPlay into consideration. I can't wait for other manufacturer to catch up with Tesla so we can have real choices.

Reactions: Gy2020
I seem to be an anomaly, but I don't want AA or CP. Both of them require the phone to get into driving mode, they use the phone battery and gps, they aren't integrated... getting out of either of them eg when parked and you just want to use the phone normally is a nightmare because it auto connects through bluetooth... so frustrating. It would be nice to have voice commands for whatsapp, but thats's about it. I tried to search for nearby coffee shops and it gave me a list without half the details, while the tesla map shows everything... couldn't wait to get away from AA/CP. I refuse to go back to a car that doesn't have an integrated system now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 30seconds
I seem to be an anomaly, but I don't want AA or CP. Both of them require the phone to get into driving mode, they use the phone battery and gps, they aren't integrated... getting out of either of them eg when parked and you just want to use the phone normally is a nightmare because it auto connects through bluetooth... so frustrating. It would be nice to have voice commands for whatsapp, but thats's about it. I tried to search for nearby coffee shops and it gave me a list without half the details, while the tesla map shows everything... couldn't wait to get away from AA/CP. I refuse to go back to a car that doesn't have an integrated system now.
I'm in UK and where are you? I find it odd that Tesla map gives you more detail than Apple/Google Map? A lot of times Tesla map gives me "unknown road" a.k.a. it doesn't have the local detail of my whereabout.

Anyway - my point is that Tesla is doing a *sugar* job on the "phone" functions, and I think you'd agree as you mentioned WhatsApp.

I'm in UK and where are you? I find it odd that Tesla map gives you more detail than Apple/Google Map? A lot of times Tesla map gives me "unknown road" a.k.a. it doesn't have the local detail of my whereabout.

Anyway - my point is that Tesla is doing a *sugar* job on the "phone" functions, and I think you'd agree as you mentioned WhatsApp.
I'm in Canada. I didn't mean that Tesla gives me more detail - but last when I searched on AA, it gave me a list of locations and their addresses, but didn't show the distances (screen space limitation maybe?) nor everything plotted. On the Tesla map, I can see everything I search for at once, on a large map overview.

I agree they don't have phone functions, but I'd rather have the functional map than the whatsapp etc. :)

At this point it seems like Elon would rather go ahead and complete the acquisition of Twitter than work with Apple to give owners what they want. I'm at the point where I would be happy with proper Bluetooth compatibility that lets you search artists and play playlists from the UI like every other car on the road for the last 15 years. The ultra-basic << II >> controls harken back to the 70's and 8-track tapes and it's appalling that in this day and age you have to resort to using your phone while in the car to select or change music.

Not all owners want to play video games, etc., etc., while parked or otherwise, so don't care anything about Apple music. As to changing music using my phone (@heavyD) my music is ON my phone. Of course that's where I'd change it.
I'm not sure you understand what Apple music is. Changing music on your phone while driving is illegal in most jurisdictions these days.

I agree, please contact Tesla and let them know. If they don't know there are people wanting, then it will never get added.