Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, would you really go broke if you offered service as good as BMW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May I ask which models? I’m in the market soon and considering used Model S, Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar. I’m enthralled with the Tesla tech but don’t need all of it. For example, AP would be fun but I don’t need it. I like the idea of little service theoretically needed on Tesla but I understand that the little that IS needed can be problematic due to their service issues. If you were in the market with $35-45k and want to go used so someone else took the depreciation hit, where would go? Which model? The other sports luxury models haven’t sold me yet either.

Love the lines on the S too, gorgeous car. And EV? Damn that’d be nice. But Tesla service has me looking at all options.

I went 5 Series to Model S to a BMW M3

I would also consider some of the newer Audi’s. Their cockpit is pretty cool.

Just how much does a tuneup at BMW cost?
Or an annual check up?

Service does cost money, especially those that feel like a Sir.
I only wish you'd give up on Tesla and be happy with your BMW.
BMW would love you on their forums telling people how much better BMW is over a Tesla.

BMW maintenance included for first 3 years.
Over the course of 10 years I expect costs to be higher with Tesla because I *know* the Tesla battery is going to go out and, as of today, that’s a $20K repair out of warranty.

You will never get this sort of service from Tesla. As with most other things, Tesla is aiming to change the service model entirely. The endgame is that the car diagnoses incipient problems, notifies the service infrastructure, and gets itself serviced in a manner that doesn't inconvenience you. I suspect it will be a subscription.

Right now, since the car can't drive itself around, substitute in mobile techs for most things and the occasional delivery of a loaner car while yours is gone. Progress towards this goal will be quick once the various pieces are in place. Meanwhile, it is very unlikely that Tesla will invest in things that will go away when this is realized. So no fancy waiting lounges, as nobody will be waiting. And no collection of service people whose job is to ease your mind while you are waiting.

But it's rather odd that you would be complaining in the context of a service call for which "nothing" is the analogous Tesla situation. You should be comparing that BMW visit with not having to go in at all with your Tesla. Try to convince anybody that Tesla comes up short in that comparison.

this is an absolute pipe dream. Much like a fully autonomous vehicle.

this is an absolute pipe dream. Much like a fully autonomous vehicle.

“Greetings, owner. I’m texting you to let you know that your phone GPS location indicates you’re at work. Since your average work day is 8.73 hours, I drove myself to get some bolts tightened at the local service center 1.74 hours ago while you were at work. I shall return and park myself before your work day is over.”

I’m still trying to evaluate if these horror stories are the exception or relatively common. But they do seem to be more than minor annoyances.

Service is very local. Take a look at the reviews online of the service center nearest you. Also see if you can find a local Tesla meetup and ask other local owners about their service experiences. That will give you a better idea about what service will be like in your area.

Reactions: AMPd
Surprisingly our Nissan Leaf service, waiting area, restrooms, wifi, valet service etc is a step up from our Mercedes. Very nice, always baked goodies, high tech coffee machines, comfortable quiet lounge with big screen etc. Then again, we have only had to use it once in four years for a free tire rotate and battery check.:)

We’ll get to see how the delivery experience is again in March when we pick up our new 2020 Eplus SL Leaf. Wife has a cybertruck on order. We’ll compare the two experiences...in three years. :).

If you all are driving BEVs then I don’t give a rat’s ass what car company made it. Go in peace and with my blessing.

If you dumping Tesla as a BEV to go back to ICE cars, then I similarly do not give a rat’s ass what your reasons are. You and I disagree, and that is not going to change.

All this BS about what to expect from a luxury carmaker...how about not poisoning your local environs for a start?

All the best for the holiday season!

May I ask which models? I’m in the market soon and considering used Model S, Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar. I’m enthralled with the Tesla tech but don’t need all of it. For example, AP would be fun but I don’t need it. I like the idea of little service theoretically needed on Tesla but I understand that the little that IS needed can be problematic due to their service issues. If you were in the market with $35-45k and want to go used so someone else took the depreciation hit, where would go? Which model? The other sports luxury models haven’t sold me yet either.

Love the lines on the S too, gorgeous car. And EV? Damn that’d be nice. But Tesla service has me looking at all options.

To be clear, he bought a CPO 2015 Tesla Model S...so take his experience with that in mind.

It's best for everyone that he now is enjoying his BMW.

Fancy high end service center waiting rooms are simply legacy dealerships putting "lipstick on the pig" The pig being they are still selling gassers that are polluting our cities, still need lots of regular maintenance like oil changes, mufflers, tune ups, engine air filters, frequent brake replacements, transmission repairs etc.

These required services are what pays for the fancy, Ego boosting, showrooms with unhealthy snacks for the unlucky waiters.

Sometimes the services are paid by owner, and other times rolled into the higher prices of those cars, but the owners still end up paying for the marble floors and Kurigs.

Tesla is working towards a future of their cars needing little maintenance service plus inventing cars that will drive themselves in for service appointments. It is not here yet, but is included in their long term plans.

Philosophy is that the best service is no service. In other words, the cars should be able to travel in excess of 1 Million Miles without needing service.

They are making progress in that area, but not there yet. Million Mile motors, drivelines, brakes, LED lighting, etc are already in the works. This is where Tesla is putting their money instead of fancy dealerships. Feel that customers will be better served this way in the long run.

So for today we are in a transition period. Current service centers and delivery centers are in leased buildings that can be transitioned back into other purposes.

Quality is not there yet for Tesla. Still biggest issues seem to be with panel fittment and paint. Both these still have a huge human element causing variations. Most feel that things are getting better with time, but not quite there yet.

Still big problem is that if 100 owners go into a service center and 99 come out happy, it is usually that one unhappy one that rushes to post on these forums. There are also still a few disgruntled people that are "Anti-Tesla". They sometimes make up negative reports or make little issues sound like the end of the world. Still need to sort through these people as well.

No hiding the fact that current service could still be better and that many still would like better telephone access with service to sort out issues.

This is not unique to Tesla. If you go to Corvette, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar etc, you will find the same type of service complaints. Maybe just something that is part of our society.

Reactions: PACEMD and traxila
Had an appointment to get an oil change this morning at my local bmw dealership.
I called yesterday and spoke to a live person, arrived this morning and was greeted by my service advisor. Checked in and waited in the waiting area where coffee, water, coffee cake and scones were offered while I wait.

While waiting, checked out the new 7 series, i really want a Model s but the service I received from tesla in the last year and a half was no where near as good as this. I wish Tesla would match this level of customer service, then I wouldn’t hesitate to get a new model s.
I had to visit BMW service centres to often over faults with many of my BMW's and return again because the fault wasn't repaired correctly. I'm glad I have been able to buy a Tesla and be well ahead of any BMW vehicle which I thought would never happen a car manufacture being better than BMW nor do my friends as I lived BMW.
Its hard to believe just because of BMW service centre you will not buy a new S an S that doesn't need 99% of the service a BMW does an S that can be serviced in your driveway or garage and not have to go to a service centre to have your brake oil checked every 2 years.

The waiting area at my local Tesla service center is pretty sparse, Coffee machine in the corner, old style drip type, no snacks, no TVs and the the wifi didn’t even work. Just a half dozen chairs in the corner of a giant warehouse type showroom.

The waiting area at the local BMW was pretty swanky. They had snacks, a keurig with multiple flavor options, a TV, free wifi that actually worked and a separate room for people with kids that had toys, video games, etc... I've heard some even have a mini-movie theater.

I'm hoping I don’t need to spend much time at the Tesla one, and if something serious happens I'm they give me a loaner.
And guess who pays for all of that...