TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hey Tesla, would you really go broke if you offered service as good as BMW?

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by AMPd, Dec 21, 2019.

1. glide

glide Active Member

I went 5 Series to Model S to a BMW M3

I would also consider some of the newer Audi’s. Their cockpit is pretty cool.

• Disagree x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. glide

glide Active Member

BMW maintenance included for first 3 years.
    Over the course of 10 years I expect costs to be higher with Tesla because I *know* the Tesla battery is going to go out and, as of today, that’s a $20K repair out of warranty.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. glide

glide Active Member

this is an absolute pipe dream. Much like a fully autonomous vehicle.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

With what BMW charged me for service on my M3 & 330ci, I stopped going and started going to the local oil change place that didn’t have a swanky waiting room or $100 scones.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. Emaz

Emaz Member

“Greetings, owner. I’m texting you to let you know that your phone GPS location indicates you’re at work. Since your average work day is 8.73 hours, I drove myself to get some bolts tightened at the local service center 1.74 hours ago while you were at work. I shall return and park myself before your work day is over.”

6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Service is very local. Take a look at the reviews online of the service center nearest you. Also see if you can find a local Tesla meetup and ask other local owners about their service experiences. That will give you a better idea about what service will be like in your area.

• Like x 1
  7. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Active Member

Surprisingly our Nissan Leaf service, waiting area, restrooms, wifi, valet service etc is a step up from our Mercedes. Very nice, always baked goodies, high tech coffee machines, comfortable quiet lounge with big screen etc. Then again, we have only had to use it once in four years for a free tire rotate and battery check.:)

We’ll get to see how the delivery experience is again in March when we pick up our new 2020 Eplus SL Leaf. Wife has a cybertruck on order. We’ll compare the two experiences...in three years. :).

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

The oil change cost me $240, the local shops I called around were slightly cheaper but still over 200 dollars.
    Most of the expense is in the oil, the 10w60 oil is pricy.

9. traxila

traxila Supporting Member

If you all are driving BEVs then I don’t give a rat’s ass what car company made it. Go in peace and with my blessing.

If you dumping Tesla as a BEV to go back to ICE cars, then I similarly do not give a rat’s ass what your reasons are. You and I disagree, and that is not going to change.

All this BS about what to expect from a luxury carmaker...how about not poisoning your local environs for a start?

All the best for the holiday season!

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  10. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

BMW and other legacy makers have service figured out. Tesla definitely does not. Whether or not you need Tesla service more or less than an ICE vehicle is irrelevant, if Tesla service is an unpleasant experience, that's a problem.

• Love x 2
  11. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

To be clear, he bought a CPO 2015 Tesla Model S...so take his experience with that in mind.

It's best for everyone that he now is enjoying his BMW.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  12. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Fancy high end service center waiting rooms are simply legacy dealerships putting "lipstick on the pig" The pig being they are still selling gassers that are polluting our cities, still need lots of regular maintenance like oil changes, mufflers, tune ups, engine air filters, frequent brake replacements, transmission repairs etc.

These required services are what pays for the fancy, Ego boosting, showrooms with unhealthy snacks for the unlucky waiters.

Sometimes the services are paid by owner, and other times rolled into the higher prices of those cars, but the owners still end up paying for the marble floors and Kurigs.

Tesla is working towards a future of their cars needing little maintenance service plus inventing cars that will drive themselves in for service appointments. It is not here yet, but is included in their long term plans.

Philosophy is that the best service is no service. In other words, the cars should be able to travel in excess of 1 Million Miles without needing service.

They are making progress in that area, but not there yet. Million Mile motors, drivelines, brakes, LED lighting, etc are already in the works. This is where Tesla is putting their money instead of fancy dealerships. Feel that customers will be better served this way in the long run.

So for today we are in a transition period. Current service centers and delivery centers are in leased buildings that can be transitioned back into other purposes.

Quality is not there yet for Tesla. Still biggest issues seem to be with panel fittment and paint. Both these still have a huge human element causing variations. Most feel that things are getting better with time, but not quite there yet.

Still big problem is that if 100 owners go into a service center and 99 come out happy, it is usually that one unhappy one that rushes to post on these forums. There are also still a few disgruntled people that are "Anti-Tesla". They sometimes make up negative reports or make little issues sound like the end of the world. Still need to sort through these people as well.

No hiding the fact that current service could still be better and that many still would like better telephone access with service to sort out issues.

This is not unique to Tesla. If you go to Corvette, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar etc, you will find the same type of service complaints. Maybe just something that is part of our society.

• Like x 2
  13. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

I had to visit BMW service centres to often over faults with many of my BMW's and return again because the fault wasn't repaired correctly. I'm glad I have been able to buy a Tesla and be well ahead of any BMW vehicle which I thought would never happen a car manufacture being better than BMW nor do my friends as I lived BMW.
    Its hard to believe just because of BMW service centre you will not buy a new S an S that doesn't need 99% of the service a BMW does an S that can be serviced in your driveway or garage and not have to go to a service centre to have your brake oil checked every 2 years.

14. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

That service only includes basic service now. Most of the more expensive maintenance items are not covered anymore

15. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Well, BMW has LOTS of experience with servicing cars...

• Funny x 1
  16. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

Humor us - what non-covered maintenance are scheduled within that window and how much do they cost?

• Like x 1
  17. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

And guess who pays for all of that...

18. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It changed in 2016. It used to be completely all inclusive for any wear items except for tires. Now it’s just basics oil changes and multipoint inspections. It also used to be 4 years/50k miles.

19. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

So....what expensive maintenance are owners expected to pay for ?

20. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It used to cover brakes, clutches, brake fluid, wiper blades and a number of other things plus it was a year longer.