Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey you cannot park that here!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
People keep talking about how autonomous cars are going to interact with pedestrians. How do you catch the eye of a self driving car? I am curious how it will handle people telling it to move. Makes sense. If the car parks itself somewhere it shouldn't there is a brain in there that can wake up and move. It wouldn't be ideal if your "funny" neighbor keeps moving your car out of the neighborhood each night but there would be times when it's good to have someone move a car and if it can do it Itself, should that be a feature? Just walk up waving your hands? Knock three times on the roof? Wonder what a good interface would be.

-Randy

Sorry if this has been discussed, new to the board and not finding the features of other boards I frequent.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverFollow
Sure, as I mentioned, probably not in front of your house, but say it parks in front of a business while you are in another business. They are moving things to a van but your car decides it's a space and plunks in. If you were driving they would wave you off. How do they do that with your car while you are at the other end of the block and they don't know you or how to reach you.

-Randy

Sure, as I mentioned, probably not in front of your house, but say it parks in front of a business while you are in another business. They are moving things to a van but your car decides it's a space and plunks in. If you were driving they would wave you off. How do they do that with your car while you are at the other end of the block and they don't know you or how to reach you.

First of all, if they would have been there to wave me off, they can easily stop the car from taking the spot. If they stand in the spot, presumably the car isn't going to run them over.

More importantly, I don't think we should expect the car to be able to deal with crazy edge cases like the one you describe. Perhaps some day, with AP 9, but not any time soon.

• Funny
Reactions: EVie'sDad
People keep talking about how autonomous cars are going to interact with pedestrians.
I was think about autonomous cars going to pick up or to dropping off passengers.

Where should an autonomous car (safely and legally) stop for passengers?

I noticed in San Francisco an increasing number of Uber/Lift with their flasher on,
waiting for a customer and doing a parallel parking and blocking traffic,
sometime in front of a red zone, bus stop, or in a street with double yellow line
so no one legally can pass them.

In my personal case, when I have to wait for someone, I try to find a white zone or
I park using a building or a house parking entrance so I don't block the traffic and I stay
in the car in the case I need to move away to let a car entering into a parking garage.

I looked a various forum and the CPUC (California Public Utilities Commission)
but I didn't find any information about the future regulations for autonomous cars.

I see a brighter future for self-driving 'pods' that have a substantially smaller footprint...

self-driving-%2Bfood%2Bfor%2Bthought%2B%25287%2529.jpg