Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey you guys that upgraded from a MYP to a MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta say.... I'm still on the fence. Drove into the office this morning following an S. Reminded me of the days when I drove a Cayman and ended up behind a 911. Didn't like that either (bought 2 911s after that). The thing that I'm still wondering about is the seats. It's the only thing I don't love in the MYP. Still waiting for a local demo to see how well it fits.

Thanks for all the input.
I'd call around to your local Tesla dealers. many of them are starting to have at least a plaid sitting in the showroom. I know there are two here in the Denver area. it was the first and only time I was able to actually touch one.

I had a 2020 MY and now a 2021 Refreshed MS.

All that being said, at current prices, I would take the Y ever time. The S at $100K+ simply isn’t worth it. I got mine for $80K and was still a bit miffed when I didn’t receive floor mats and a cargo cover upon delivery.
As the saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," and my S is beautiful. It is definitely worth the money I paid. If you can't go out and buy your own floor mats, well I guess cheap works for you. Mine came with floor mats and cargo cover, so I'm happy, but I certainly could have ponied up a few extra bucks for them. This is my third S. Both previous ones were sold with over 100K miles on them, and I prefer it far above the 3, which I also have. It's worth the money in my book, but if it's not for you, well, it's just not. I don't need to trick it out. I just get in and drive. Smooth power and plenty of it for hours of pleasure on the road.

You can pay a few dollars and buy those floor mats and a cargo cover, but then you'd have nothing to complain about. You'd think you could afford them if you're buying the S, but I wonder who stole them. They come with the car.

As the saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," and my S is beautiful. It is definitely worth the money I paid. If you can't go out and buy your own floor mats, well I guess cheap works for you. Mine came with floor mats and cargo cover, so I'm happy, but I certainly could have ponied up a few extra bucks for them. This is my third S. Both previous ones were sold with over 100K miles on them, and I prefer it far above the 3, which I also have. It's worth the money in my book, but if it's not for you, well, it's just not. I don't need to trick it out. I just get in and drive. Smooth power and plenty of it for hours of pleasure on the road.

You can pay a few dollars and buy those floor mats and a cargo cover, but then you'd have nothing to complain about. You'd think you could afford them if you're buying the S, but I wonder who stole them. They come with the car.
Why would I go out and buy accessories that I already paid for and are supposed to be delivered with the vehicle?

And you are supposing they were stolen as opposed to just not delivered? Knowing that there have been many instances of people reporting the same with their deliveries on this forum? Is someone nicking floor mats and cargo covers from Teslas across the nation?

The fanboi is strong with you.

I made the switch to the Refreshed Model S from Model YP. I loved the Model Y so much I decided to upgrade early, with these resale values so great. Model S puts down serious power and yes with the 19" you lose traction and drift somewhat, which is fun in my opinion. I also bought a second set of wheels, forged 21" with Micheline Pilot Sport 4s tries which made a massive difference in traction, the car now hugs the ground. I have to say I like both setups but just wanted to point out why the car loses traction with the 19's as I have confirmed this.

I do miss the higher seat hight and headspace in camp mode, but besides that this was a nice upgrade and the range is the killer difference. It has provided true ease of mind when traveling vs the Model YP and has made road trips much less stressful. Might not seem like a big deal but this is the main reason I upgraded as I did not want to worry about range and it was a slight issue with the Model YP when traveling. Its rare now that I reach a destination charger on a trip with less than half charge left, where as many times in the model Y I would narrowly made it to the next destination charger.

Hope this helps.

Having had 2 M3P's, now MYP, have an MXP (at tesla service still) and an MSP on order. Rented an MSP for a few days.

MYP is 100% more practical. Rear seats is so much more comfortable, larger area for legs and all and head room. Reclining rear seats and as someone said somewhat power folding. Rear trunk and frunk is much more spacious. My MYP however looks like a turtle from the front and side. rear 3/4 and rear looks great. I still absolutely love it, just wish i never saw or rented the MSP which kind of sealed the deal for ordering it.

MSP rear trunk is not the MYP at all and much lower and less capacity if you are using that. Rear seat is cramped like the M3P. I think the M3P is bigger interior wise. M3 has the most hip room vs MY and MS which is odd. MSP in MSM and black is just much sharper. My wife misses our M3P in MSM with black trim and black interior. MSP has a longer front lip. You have to be super careful with it as its low and the shocks do not dampen from a drop off a rolled curb. (EEK). Even at high setting. MSP is impractical compared to the MYP though.

M3 and MY generally the newer ones are the best without defect and quality IMO. Its much simpler in design which i would prefer for longevity.

MXP Falcon Wing doors are truely 1000% stupid. I wish they just had normal fcuking doors. Cant get into them sometimes in the garage. I prefer they didnt have auto close and auto open. More sh!t to break and go wrong.

20220409_121004.jpg
20200618_193921.jpg
20220305_100457.jpg
20220418_143115.jpg
20220305_100440.jpg

I made the switch to the Refreshed Model S from Model YP. I loved the Model Y so much I decided to upgrade early, with these resale values so great. Model S puts down serious power and yes with the 19" you lose traction and drift somewhat, which is fun in my opinion. I also bought a second set of wheels, forged 21" with Micheline Pilot Sport 4s tries which made a massive difference in traction, the car now hugs the ground. I have to say I like both setups but just wanted to point out why the car loses traction with the 19's as I have confirmed this.

I do miss the higher seat hight and headspace in camp mode, but besides that this was a nice upgrade and the range is the killer difference. It has provided true ease of mind when traveling vs the Model YP and has made road trips much less stressful. Might not seem like a big deal but this is the main reason I upgraded as I did not want to worry about range and it was a slight issue with the Model YP when traveling. Its rare now that I reach a destination charger on a trip with less than half charge left, where as many times in the model Y I would narrowly made it to the next destination charger.

Hope this helps.
I'm assuming you're referring to a Plaid (what you switched to)?

I'm assuming you're referring to a Plaid (what you switched to)?
No, I honestly would not want nor could handle more than the LR provides. This car gets me into enough trouble as it is lol! I have had to learn the power of constraint. For reference I sold my beloved R35 GTR after owning the Model YP and seeing the future/difference. The Model S is all I own now and plan to keep this thing until the wheels fall off.

Been interesting to read the comments so far. I've been able to put more miles on my MSLR and then drive it back to back with my M3 LR w/boost. And I still have fresh memories of my MY LR w/boost.

Every day I drive the MS LR, I don't really see the need for the Plaid on the street. Yes, nothing says success like excess, but the LR is truly a very quick car. You really have to ask yourself how often are you going to use the extra acceleration of the Plaid over the LR.

As for the 3/Y platform, the 3P might hang with the MS LR off the line until about 30-40 mph and then the MS LR just runs away and hides. I have to say though in tight city traffic, I enjoy the 3 more than the S. The 3 w/boost is more than quick enough and so much easier to squeeze in tight openings and better outward visibility. Overall the 3 just feels tauter to drive. As much as I liked my Y, it clearly feels clumsier than either the 3 or S.

When you hit the interstate and just want to cruise, the MS is clearly the platform of choice. Basically I'll take my S over any other Tesla whenever it isn't bumper to bumper city traffic or in the situations where I abhor the yoke and lack of stalks.

Greetings,

I'm considering an upgrade from my MYP to a new MS. I've been trying to do a test drive, but my local dealer has not had one available for a while. There are a couple of things that I'm interested in, that maybe you guys with experience can expound upon.
  • Seats. The first time I ever sat in an S, I thought the seats fit my body better than my 911. In fact, my butt and back just fit perfectly. So was I just enamored by the "tesla" or is it real? The MYP has nice seats, but they sit a little higher from the ground and feel to me like I'm sitting on top of them as opposed to feeling like a glove. Are they more of a fitted seat or what is the consensus?
  • Road Noise. The MYP is a great car, but I would like a little more elegance to the drive. After you've proven your abilities driving the same 30 miles every day (and seeing the same guys going back and forth to their offices) I'm pining for a little softer and quieter ride.
The S has already been thoroughly romanticized in my mind, I'm just looking for some possible dose of reality to back it up.

Thanks.
Dan
For me, the Model S seats honestly aren't as good as the Model Y. They're super narrow, and seem like they have less padding. I don't even feel like my frame fits in them.

That said, the road noise is a lot less on the Model S, so it's more comfortable to drive in that respect.

Honestly, I miss the "Next Generation Seats" in the older Model S vehicles. Those were the best!

For me, the Model S seats honestly aren't as good as the Model Y. They're super narrow, and seem like they have less padding. I don't even feel like my frame fits in them.

That said, the road noise is a lot less on the Model S, so it's more comfortable to drive in that respect.

Honestly, I miss the "Next Generation Seats" in the older Model S vehicles. Those were the best!
The thing I absolutely hate about the 3/Y seats is they are solid material with no ventilation or cooling option. Total miss on their part especially give the price level of the car. I live in a hot climate and this is something I absolutely want.

I am a big guy and fit fine in all the Tesla seats I've tried. My S and 3 have more front leg room than the Y as well. It is enough for me to notice.

Reactions: Alex Philips
The thing I absolutely hate about the 3/Y seats is they are solid material with no ventilation or cooling option. Total miss on their part especially give the price level of the car. I live in a hot climate and this is something I absolutely want.

I am a big guy and fit fine in all the Tesla seats I've tried. My S and 3 have more front leg room than the Y as well. It is enough for me to notice.
I'd definitely agree with this on the no ventilation or cooling options in the 3/Y. Given the price of those vehicles, it seems like a big miss for sure.

Reactions: Alex Philips
Greetings,

I'm considering an upgrade from my MYP to a new MS. I've been trying to do a test drive, but my local dealer has not had one available for a while. There are a couple of things that I'm interested in, that maybe you guys with experience can expound upon.
  • Seats. The first time I ever sat in an S, I thought the seats fit my body better than my 911. In fact, my butt and back just fit perfectly. So was I just enamored by the "tesla" or is it real? The MYP has nice seats, but they sit a little higher from the ground and feel to me like I'm sitting on top of them as opposed to feeling like a glove. Are they more of a fitted seat or what is the consensus?
  • Road Noise. The MYP is a great car, but I would like a little more elegance to the drive. After you've proven your abilities driving the same 30 miles every day (and seeing the same guys going back and forth to their offices) I'm pining for a little softer and quieter ride.
The S has already been thoroughly romanticized in my mind, I'm just looking for some possible dose of reality to back it up.

Thanks.
Overall tha Y is the best value.
Y is so much easier to get in and out of.

S has a much softer ride.

Sounds levels on the Y improve considerably with laminate windows.

It's really all about your preferences.
I have had each of the S3XYs and I am looking forward to picking up my new MYP next week. My tweener car is a Model S 2014 and it is still rolling nicely after 117k miles.

Attachments

• 1078 (1).jpeg
    1078 (1).jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 55
I have to say I thought I would enjoy the Y more than I did. Based on all the press around it, and Elon saying it will likely be their best seller, I didn't enjoy it half as much as it was built up in my mind before owning it.

I think the 3 better hits its target than the Y does. Not saying the Y is a bad car, just not near as fun to drive as the 3. I feel you give up a lot to get the versatility you might need. I think the Car and Driver article was more accurate than I originally thought before I bought the car. I also think not including the track mode from the 3 was a big miss. They also should have done more with the MYP to differentiate it from the base LR.

Reactions: Skateboardgolf
I'd definitely agree with this on the no ventilation or cooling options in the 3/Y. Given the price of those vehicles, it seems like a big miss for sure.
100% agree
TBH that's why I ended up going with the MS. Coming from a BMW M4, for me it was either M3P, MYP, or MS. The 3/Y just feel so "bare" at that similar price point to the M4. I totally get the minimalist interior, and that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about sunroof, cooled seats, etc.

100% agree
TBH that's why I ended up going with the MS. Coming from a BMW M4, for me it was either M3P, MYP, or MS. The 3/Y just feel so "bare" at that similar price point to the M4. I totally get the minimalist interior, and that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about sunroof, cooled seats, etc.
You don’t get a sunroof in an S or X as well lol.

You don’t get a sunroof in an S or X as well lol.
I know... Though you used to
Beef that I have with Tesla. Still didn't prevent me from finally ordering a car, though I'll admit I still did have some reservations based on the lack of making it "my own" and the fact that seemingly every other car on the road is a Tesla. At least the S is a bit different from the seas of 3s and Ys.

Does anyone know if/when Tesla will start offering more customization, especially in the higher-end models? Sunroofs, more exterior colors, option to select different interior trim packages, etc?

I know... Though you used to
Beef that I have with Tesla. Still didn't prevent me from finally ordering a car, though I'll admit I still did have some reservations based on the lack of making it "my own" and the fact that seemingly every other car on the road is a Tesla. At least the S is a bit different from the seas of 3s and Ys.

Does anyone know if/when Tesla will start offering more customization, especially in the higher-end models? Sunroofs, more exterior colors, option to select different interior trim packages, etc?

I wouldn't hold my breath regarding a lot of customization. Will slow down the way they do production currently. Lucky we even have the paint choices we do. I think they'll stick with simple bolt on stuff for a while such as wheels.

Look at all the extra coin you spend on the Plaid and really not much to distinguish it from the LR.

I'd ditch the glass roof in a second if I could. No real benefit for me and a lot of downsides. Even with the tint all that glass lets in a lot of heat and I live in a hot climate. I would rather have had a metal roof with a sunroof that opens.