Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi again from San Diego! Should I MS or MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we concluded I'm a nut in my first post and it's been some time since I last posted I figured I'd come back and reintroduce myself. Not sure where else to post this anyway :)

I had planned on getting a MS for some time but needed to lock down a house first. Some progress has been made! We're under contract for a home. Now I can get to what really matters, my Tesla!

Now that I'm seriously thinking about my purchase, I'm unsure which one to get. We stood in line and preordered a Model 3 on launch, so that variable has made me rethink the MS.

Does it make sense to get a MS and a 3? Does a MX and 3 makes more sense than 2 4 door sedans? The other half will be driving one of them and she currently drives a small Acura that just needs to hold out for late 2017. :)

I know, what a problem to have... but am curious if anyone else is thinking of 2 Teslas - one being a 3. Since the MS and the MX are relatively the same price, was thinking the MX adds a bit more utility to the household than 2 sedans.

I guess the crux of the question is how will Tesla differentiate the 3 from the S (besides size) if one can option the 3 to the high $70's. Maybe instead of a MS P90D and a relatively entry level 3, another option would be a MX 70D for the other half and a P90D 3 (or whatever it turns out to be) for me.

Curious what others here plan to do...

:)

Reactions: ModelX
When deciding between MS and MX the first question is: do you really need an SUV? (Because remember, the MS is pretty big inside for carrying intermediate-size items). Do you plan to tow a trailer? Sometimes people buy an SUV because they simply like the tall stand of it and large size, even though they don't plan to do anything that really requires an SUV (enormous amounts of cargo & people, trailer towing, offroading, etc.)- to me this seems kind of wasteful (although, the MX will be more efficient than an ICE SUV). The MX is great in many ways, but is still very new (which means there are probably still bugs to be worked out), has the troublesome falcon doors, and due to the previous two factors still takes some time to get, once you order it.

As far as the question of 2 sedans - many families do fine with 2 sedans.

In either case, if you're planning to have 2 Teslas, be sure your main electrical panel has enough capacity to charge both (even when you are running other loads in your house) - if not, you will need to plan for a main panel upgrade.

I'm with H2OU here. Absent overriding reasons you need the X (trailers to tow, six or seven adults you need to move around,) you really need to drive both to decide.

For me (a fairly tall and slightly underweight man,) the X has a bunch of advantages - more headroom (and with the magic windshield, the perception of much, much more headroom,) easier to get in to, easier to see where the front is.

There are also specific features the X has, if they're relevant to you - ventilated seats, seat pockets, powered doors, etc.

The S accelerates faster, and goes about 10% further on the same electricity (and is available sooner, and could be available used.) Those are the only advantages to the S side that I can see.

For myself, I decided the X was enough better that it was worth a few month's wait and ~30% more money (was planning on a CPO S.)

Hopefully I'll continue to feel that way in July/August. :)

Thanks for the replies, everyone. :) I haven't driven either yet. I promised myself I wouldn't drive a Tesla until I closed on a house and that day is this Tuesday, so a test drive is in my future! I knew it would drive me crazy if I drove one beforehand.

No, we really don't need an SUV, but I don't need a MS either. I think the doors are pretty neat and like the ventilated seats, but I usually don't buy version 1.0 of anything. I'm leaning toward the S now that it had a bit of a refresh and figure the M3 may be pushed back a bit as they sort out the gremlins manufacturing the new car.

I have also thought of a "demo" car or even a CPO if it has autopilot which pretty much rules out the MX for now. My store has a MX in the showroom and for test drives, but was told at this time they're only giving test drives of the MX for reservation holders. Maybe I'll ask again. :)