Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi all, Just joined. Considering the MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

My first post. We are close to ordering a MYP. Decided on it over the M3P only due to my knees hitting the bottom of the steering wheel in the 3 no matter how the seat and wheel were adjusted, the 3 is simply too small and I am only 6' tall.

So the MYP it might be, depending on the following. Biggest concerns are.....

1. Build quality, we have seen many horrendous panel alignment concerns. Even on cars in Tesla showrooms. It begs the question, WHY haven't they been able to address these? Seems bad build quality is still leaking out of the factory on occasion.

2. Real world range. What is it on average?

3. Are there really enough Super Chargers out there (SW and SE Florida) to make day to day travel worry free in terms of where to charge up?

4. Service. How is it when you need it?

We are considering buying vs leasing, looks like Tesla leases are officially the WORST I've seen. Outrageous money factors, poor residuals and the inability to buy the car at lease end make the Tesla in our eyes totally unleaseable. No issue with this but who in general is offering sub 2% loans for Teslas? Credit is high 800's

Thanks so much for any valuable input.

I would suggest checking out Edmund's review of the MYP. A very exhaustive and pretty balanced review. One of the takeaways from it was it wasn't even close to hitting its range estimates.

I had an MYP on order and just changed to the MY LR. I can't tell you how many times I drove the Y and 3 cars back to back. I did find the M3 had more legroom in general than the Y. Even according to Tesla's specs, it has more legroom. However the whopping 1" higher seat might make a difference for some.

I live in Florida and have scoped out the supercharger locations. I live in Jax but have a lot of friends all over the state. All in all seems to be pretty good coverage and the range of the MYP should be good enough to get where you want to go without much range anxiety.

Can't speak to service yet as still waiting on mine. I can say all the cars I test drove at the Tesla store had some issues, but mostly minor. A lot of misaligned windows but generally body panel alignment and paint were pretty decent.

I was dead set on the performance variant of either the Y or 3. The crappy ride quality turned my wife against both. I can't say I was impressed. The large, heavy 21" wheels on the MYP are total curb rash magnets. They definitely don't do anything for acceleration. So I went for plan B. By the MY LR, save about 9k. Then add acceleration boost for 2k and be very close to the performance of the MYP and not have the crappy wheels. If they had the track mode in the MYP, I could have seen more value in buying it. For some crappy wheels, worse suspension, cheap pedals and a trunk lip spoiler made it seem like I was paying too much for the additional acceleration improvement.

Yes there is a motor upgrade but if Tesla locks the power to it, it has limited benefit to me as is. Just some food for thought as you ponder what model to go with. The MYP, M3P, M3 LR and MY LR, all have pretty close to the same trap speeds in the quarter mile. The main difference I've seen is the initial off the line launch. Once rolling there isn't a huge difference between them.

The only one that launches impressively hard (at least for me) is the M3P. You can tell in the MYP they are really limiting the torque at launch. So if I wasn't going to get that level of acceleration in the MYP at launch, it really diminshed my interest in it. YMMV of course and that is just my unsolicited opinion. They all are pretty damn fun from a roll though.

As for Tesla leases, they suck any way you slice it. I worked F&I in college and no point in going that route. Not to mention you can't buy out your lease at the end, only a 3rd party can. As for loan rates, I haven't seen much difference in rate once in the mid 700's. There is a spreadsheet that tracks Tesla loan rates. Normally look to your local credit union. I haven't paid over 2% in years for any loan with mine but they are very stringent on their requirements to get in. You can't buy your way in so to speak through a donation like some.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Drive the MY LR before you commit to the MYP. The giddyup is pretty spectacular in the MY LR as it is! I haven't driven the MYP but rumor has it those larger tires result in a fairly significant hit to ride quality, and it's pretty stiff in the MY LR anyway.

Real world range is fine. It's not what's you've been led to believe, especially in the winter (-30% hit). But we're talking about real world, and in reality, most people don't need 316 miles non-stop. There are plenty of superchargers in most areas of the country; review the map where you live. In 15,000 miles I've yet to not be able to get where I wanted to go. I can comfortably go 200 miles at 80 mph, or 250+ at 55 mph, starting at 90% charge. "Day to day travel" for most people implies you're probably sleeping at home every night, which is where you'll do 90% of your charging, so supercharging is more relevant to road trips.

Service for me has been great so far. I've only needed the mobile tech a couple times, for post-delivery cleanup of quality issues mostly. Quick response, easy scheduling, good service. On the other hand, service center satisfaction tends to vary considerably based on some posts around the forum. And as the numbers of Teslas on the road increase without a corresponding increase in service centers, difficulty may arise for some.

If I had to do it again I would.

1. Build quality, we have seen many horrendous panel alignment concerns. Even on cars in Tesla showrooms. It begs the question, WHY haven't they been able to address these? Seems bad build quality is still leaking out of the factory on occasion.
It's a demand/supply issue. If there are enough rejections maybe Tesla will change.
2. Real world range. What is it on average?
Mostly, it depends on your speed. If you drive 65 MPH in good weather, I think you are very close to the EPA number.
3. Are there really enough Super Chargers out there (SW and SE Florida) to make day to day travel worry free in terms of where to charge up?
I think your range should cover from one Supercharger to another. I can't speak about the wait line for this coming holiday though.
4. Service. How is it when you need it?
If it's an emergency, you'll drop your car at Service Center. If not, there might be a wait like a week or so.

Hi all,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and help out, greatly appreciated. So, regarding the ride quality of the MYP with the 21" wheels. I drove the MYP demo overnight and thought it drove very nicely, perhaps this is attributed to the nice smooth roads here?? Most of the cars I've owned have had 21's on them, so maybe I am accustomed to the ride.

In contrast I also drove the M3LR (no M3P demos available), I found the ride quality, road noise and stereo quality abysmal in the M3LR, horrible in fact.
This coupled with the inability to get comfortable in the drivers seat of the M3 demo pretty much directed me to the MYP, sure I'd like to save some money on model type, color etc...But I gotta love what I want and be comfortable in it. If the knee room and steering wheel position was better in the M3 and the ride quality and road noise was closer to the MYP I would definitely buy the M3P for the faster 0-60 better range and $4K less....

My stats are pretty good for my MYP. And I still have the original 21” uberturbines.

B46B8826-717A-420D-A5E2-BCD3D1E04025.jpeg

Find some choppy pavement, or road construction areas. My wife liked the MYP until we hit some of those areas. Then it was game over for her. It seems fine on good roads though so the first 20 minutes of our test drive she was very happy.

I have owned quite a few high performance vehicles and even sport oriented suspension doesn't have to be this way. It crashes into the bump stops and it upsets the chassis. Compared to other states I've lived in the roads are pretty good here. If lived in PA, OH, MN or in Chicago, I would absolutely hate the suspension. There is a reason there is a booming aftermarket for coilovers for these cars.

Maybe I just have higher expectations because I've seen what other companies can do. This is nowhere on the level of BMW, Audi or even VW for their performance cars. Firm doesn't have to be uncompliant or poorly dampened. Those days are long gone.

I am not sure what some are complaining about but I feel the ride quality of my MYP is pretty good, I really have no complaints about it.
I am coming from a C5 corvette and a 2013 BMW 550 and I'll say the MYP is maybe smoother than the BMW.
I also like the Uberturbines, sure there are nicer aftermarket wheels out there but I think the Uberturbines are nice enough.
I was lucky enough to have none of the issues that most have reported but I know there are some disturbing ones such as the pressure noise or the malfunctioning AC and to a lesser degree the misaligned panels, loose trim and squeaky seats . I do think that Tesla needs to improve its quality control and if I had any of these issues on my car i'll be highly disappointed.

Hi all,

Ok......update. Strange things going on here. The cordial folks at the Tesla store gave me a different M3LR today to take home over night and it drives TOTALLY different than the first M3LR drove. This one is quiet in terms of road noise, the stereo sounds much better and I guess I found the sweet spot for the steering wheel and seat so I was more comfortable without feeling like the steering wheel was in my knees. Sure, the MYP interior is still more spacious and comfortable but this demo M3LR feels MUCH better than the one I drove a few days ago.

I wished I had taken notice as to the tires that were on the first demo M3LR, I know they were 18's as are these on tonights demo M3LR but I didn't notice the brand, the M3LR tonight has 18" Michelins and drives great!!

Jeez.......what to do🤔

Buy the M3 LR, save some cash, get the better range, buy the acceleration boost and have a very fun car to drive. If you need the bigger car, the MY LR is still pretty quick. The M3 LR in Edmunds range testing has done the best of any EV's yet and went about 340 miles I think at a steady 70 mph. I think the MYP was a paltry 260 or so by comparison. I didn't refresh my memory but I did save the link so you can check for yourself. ;-)

I just learned that SiriusXM cannot be set up in the M3 or MY, only the S and X offer it built in. I cannot stream SiriusXM from my iPhone as I only have a 9GB corporate plan, can't change to an unlimited data plan. This is a HUGE HUGE bummer as I listen to a few SiriusXM stations constantly. This is probably a deal breaker for buying the Tesla now, wow 😫

The M3 and MY must be the only two new cars on the planet that don't offer SiriusXM

Reactions: 1100MCM
I just learned that SiriusXM cannot be set up in the M3 or MY, only the S and X offer it built in. I cannot stream SiriusXM from my iPhone as I only have a 9GB corporate plan, can't change to an unlimited data plan. This is a HUGE HUGE bummer as I listen to a few SiriusXM stations constantly. This is probably a deal breaker for buying the Tesla now, wow 😫
Buy your own hotspot, connect phone's Wi-Fi to the hotspot and stream away...

The M3 and MY must be the only two new cars on the planet that don't offer SiriusXM
Use an aftermarket XM receiver. Purchase one that includes an FM modulator to transmit the stereo audio to the vehicle. For example, the Onyx Plus Satellite Radio Receiver with a car kit is available from Amazon for $61.

You can add after purchase. It is 2k. You then replaced the standard acceleration mode with sport. You still have the chill option. It knocks off .5 seconds off the 0-60.

So make sure when you compare stats to the MYP, the MYP acceleration numbers factor in a 1' rollout. So while it claims 3.5 sec 0-60, when comparing the numbers to the MY LR models, they don't account for rollout. So add .3 seconds to the MYP times. So you are looking at
0-60 (no rollout)
MYP - 3.8
MY LR (with acceleration boost) 4.3
MY LR stock 4.8

What these numbers don't tell you though is that most of the MYP's advantage is right off the line, not while on a roll. I am pretty sure a M3 LR with AB would like take the MYP in a drag race. Take its 4.2 0-60, and the AB knocks off ~.5 seconds and you are at 3.7 w/out rollout. Or factoring in rollout, about 3.4 vs the 3.5 of the MYP.

That is what I would have gone with if my wife wasn't pushing for easier access to a car seat in the back. Now things may change for the MYP or M3P once the performance editions of the MachE are on the road. I would imagine the MYP is getting its butt kicked, Elon's ego might look to uncork more power for the 3/Y platform. I think Ford is more conservative about specs. Sure looks that way for advertised range vs actual on the MachE.

Hi everyone,

I drove the M3 again and this time focused on pairing my iPhone and streaming my SiriusXM app using my cellular network, it worked fine. I also got familiar with the Model 3 streaming app thats built in and I selected the genres that I like and saved them as favorites and I was happy with how that turned out so I went ahead and ordered the M3P in white. Financing is done and approved, just waiting for that elusive VIN number.

All along this process I considered the MYP and the M3P. I also was considering the red, the blue and lastly white but in the end decided on the white because we live in SW Florida so white is heat friendly. Its also easier to maintain and I am OVER the top with maintaining my cars and their finishes, should you have any paint correction or protection questions just ask me... I would be happy to help. White is also maybe probably a better resale color for when that day comes.

Thanks all !

Congrats on pulling the trigger. Hopefully they will get the radar situation sorted out before take delivery. SInce I cancelled my white MYP order, and you are in Florida, you might get yours a bit sooner.

I would encourage everyone to list cash as the payment option and then acquire finance when you get a VIN. If the span between the initial credit pull and your car is delivered, based on what I've read here, they will do another credit pull. No point in having two inquires on your credit report for the same purchase. Even without outstanding credit, I'd rather not have the hard pulls.