Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi All -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am new to this forum. Have read a load of interesting and informative stuff on here but nothing close to what
I'm considering.

Am looking at purchasing a 2015 85D with 90,000 miles. It's at a dealer in Kansas City which is about 700 miles
from my home in the NW suburbs of Chicago. Makes it kind of difficult to just drive out and personally
inspect it.

I like the color combination and it seems to have the equipment I'm looking for. From reviewing all the pics,
about 30 of them, it looks to be in great shape - yes, I know that pics can be deceiving. It's a one owner
car and the dealer is attempting to get a copy of the original window sticker along with the service history from
the original owner for me.

This would be my first Tesla and I guess my question is should I be leary of a vehicle with 90,000 miles even tho
it still has the balance of the original factory on the battery and power drive units ???

If I understand the Tesla warranty correctly, I'd still have about 4 years left on these items ( battery & drive
motors ) even tho the balance of the car wouldn't have any coverage.

Thanks in advance for any advise provided.

...90,000 miles even tho it still has the balance of the original factory on the battery and power drive units ???...

My 2012 Model S 85 RWD was in excellent condition when I sold it at 100,000 miles. I would have kept mine if Tesla didn't invent Autopilot so I had to jump on the bandwagon and bought 2017 Model X instead.

So, I wouldn't worry about the mileage as long as it's not been beaten up, worn-out seats, corroded panels, poor suspension...

I wouldn't worry about the battery and drive unit because both are covered with infinity miles within 8 years so you can still have 3 more years to replace them as needed.

However, you should know by now as it's been in the news a lot that Tesla's screen has a death date and usually they don't die during a warranty period. How convenient that they want to die after a warranty!

Other favorite items that can go bad after warranty are also expensive to service too:
Heater,
Air Conditioner,
Steering,
built-in charger,
GPS
Headlight

and so on...

• Love
Reactions: passhard
With any car, not only Tesla, I have always tried to find one with lower-than-average miles for the age. This one seems extremely high for a 2015. My own 2015 has only half that mileage. (The US average for all cars is around 12- or 13,000 miles per year, if I recall correctly.) Although people like to say that a Tesla has fewer moving parts than an ICE car, it still has plenty of mechanical equipment that ages with mileage -- all the suspension parts, just like other cars, steering, wheel bearings, the HVAC pumps and fans, motors for windows, sunroof and seats, not to mention wear and tear on upholstery and so on. Beware of being over-eager. If it were me, I would keep looking....But maybe I am more cautious than necessary.

With any car, not only Tesla, I have always tried to find one with lower-than-average miles for the age. This one seems extremely high for a 2015. My own 2015 has only half that mileage. (The US average for all cars is around 12- or 13,000 miles per year, if I recall correctly.) Although people like to say that a Tesla has fewer moving parts than an ICE car, it still has plenty of mechanical equipment that ages with mileage -- all the suspension parts, just like other cars, steering, wheel bearings, the HVAC pumps and fans, motors for windows, sunroof and seats, not to mention wear and tear on upholstery and so on. Beware of being over-eager. If it were me, I would keep looking....But maybe I am more cautious than necessary.
Have to also recommend what David just recommended. Look for one with a lower mileage for the reasons already pointed out above. T

There are so many available in the US, I'm puzzled why you can't find one near you @bedlington . Have you looked at the used inventory on the Tesla.com site? You can also check here https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

Have to also recommend what David just recommended. Look for one with a lower mileage for the reasons already pointed out above. T

There are so many available in the US, I'm puzzled why you can't find one near you @bedlington . Have you looked at the used inventory on the Tesla.com site? You can also check here https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

As a contrary view, miles almost certainly have less effect on a Tesla than on other otherwise comparable cars. The miles probably have a greater effect on the asking price than is warranted.

If the car is discounted for the miles, it may be a bargain. If not, I'd agree with everybody else and keep looking. There are plenty of cars out there.