Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi from Lancashire UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have been lurking around the site for a few weeks and have decided to join in the hope of getting a few opinions from you all.

I don't (yet) have a Tesla but I am seriously considering buying a used Model S.

However, and this is the main concern that I have, I generally cover 20-25 thousand miles a year which I believe is no issue for a Model S but I work away from home quite a lot. When I am working near home I know I will be able to charge overnight at home, and have enough battery for at least 250 miles - I have a conservative driving style. So I should easily be able to travel to and from my different places of work. I will add that I am BMS controls engineer and work at new buildings which do not usually have parking spaces let alone charging points :(.

The issue that I face is when I am working away, I know I can get to the jobs, either off a full charge (from the previous night at home) or by 'topping up' at a motorway services charge point. However, while I am away, not many Premier Inn's (the accommodation of choice from my employer) have charge points nor, as stated previously, do the sites that I am working at.

How much 'pain in th e a**' is it to find a charge area to fill up ready for my journey home at the end of the week?

Or should I just stick with my 1 year old Hybrid until the UK has a better 'supercharger system' in place?

Of course, all of the above is down to getting the finances together in the first place :D:D

Any information is most welcome.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not based in the UK, so I can't give you much specific information regarding the situation there. I can however tell you I had some of the same concerns regarding charging before I bought mine, but the concerns has been put to shame of the reality of charging.

I have really taken advantage of the possibility that the car can charge on almost any kind of power outlet (if you have the right adapters of course). But the main thing is the Super Charger network, so if I can get to one of those, no problem at all.
Sometimes I've had to top of at a level 2 or Chademo charger, but still a either low cost or free.

So if you can find somewhere to charge a bit while getting a coffee (or tea, you are from the UK after all) enough for reaching a super charger, it should be no problem I would think.

I would recommend two sites to take a look at:
supercharge.info
Take a look at the super chargers currently up and get an idea to where they are coming up.

A Better Routeplanner
Try putting in some of the scenarios you will be driving, maybe that will give you a better idea if this is feasible for you or not.

Best of luck!

If the Premier Inns are OK for you to plug into any old outlet you'll get about 6 miles per hour, so around 60 miles overnight. Just plug the car's UMC into the outlet (if they permit).
Otherwise, supercharging is the way to go.
How much driving per day do you do when away on jobs? What parts of the UK?

Last time I was in the U.K. I spent 5 nights in the Southwest in Devon and Cornwall, well beyond the 2 supercharger stalls in Exeter. The hotel I was staying at was nice enough to give me an extension cord running out of their shed in the car park. That coupled with Tupperware and a rock for weather protection gave me 7-8 mph overnight which exceeded my daily needs. They didn't even charge for electricity. A domestic 13amp plug in the U.K. is more effective than one in the US.