Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi from Minneapolis, ask me your cold-weather EV questions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I'm Greg from Minneapolis. I bought my Model 3 Performance (Midnight Silver Metallic, black interior) back in late 2019, it is considered an early 2020 model. I only wish I had invested in Tesla back when I bought my car! This is still my favorite car I've ever owned, and I fully expect my next car to be another Tesla someday (Plaid would be awesome).

Living in Minnesota has given me some interesting perspective on EV ownership especially during those cold months so feel free to ask away if you've got questions.

tesla_model_3P_minneapolis.jpg
tesla_model_3P_parking_ramp.jpg
tesla_model_3P_supercharger_bluesky.jpg

I may have some questions for you as I'm looking to get into my first Tesla very soon. Haven't decided between a M3P or MYP.
Hey Ludedude, I think if you got the chance to drive both it might be an easy decision for you. They're very similar cars in a lot of ways but the big difference of course is that the Y does have a lot more room inside. I rented one on a trip recently and I was really surprised at how roomy it felt. In the 3 the back seat is OK but it's not somewhere you want to spend all day, but the Y can really hold adults comfortably back there.

The tradeoff of course is performance, with the 3 being a bit faster, and though I never got to really put the Y through it's paces the 3 feels more zippy around corners for sure.

My wife and I are planning on adding a Y in an a year or two, which is another way to solve it :)

Beautiful car, how cold does it get there? I am on my second Model S and I am talking to my nephew about getting one but he is in the Air Force as a B52 guy in Minot, ND and he is worried about how they do in the cold.
Hey Thanks !
We get very similar weather to Minot, fair bit of sub-zero every winter, sometimes we go a month below freezing.

If he's got a garage or a plug available it's super easy. Honestly it runs as well or better than any gas-powered car I've had. At 0F you do lose about 25-30% of range, but otherwise it's just like warmer weather. The AWD means it's very sure-footed on snow and ice too. (I do switch to snow tires in the winter and performance tires in the summer)

Also wow! B52!! that's something special.

Hey Thanks !
We get very similar weather to Minot, fair bit of sub-zero every winter, sometimes we go a month below freezing.

If he's got a garage or a plug available it's super easy. Honestly it runs as well or better than any gas-powered car I've had. At 0F you do lose about 25-30% of range, but otherwise it's just like warmer weather. The AWD means it's very sure-footed on snow and ice too. (I do switch to snow tires in the winter and performance tires in the summer)

Also wow! B52!! that's something special.
Thank you for the information, they are thinking about the 3 but his concern is that they get sub -30C weather there for long periods of time and the Tesla site says no longer than 24 hours at that temp. He has a garage but it is not heated.