Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi from Quebec City

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Today I just invested 20% of my assets in TSLA (for 5+ years), so I figured I might as well join in after lurking for months.

I design airplanes for a living. I am aware of Elon's intentions here. I believe electric airplanes are commercially and technically viable right now only for small and slow stuff, like automated personal transportation pods or small general aviation airplanes. For big and fast stuff, Airbus and Boeing are looking at hybrids for taxi/takeoff/climb assistance but I am afraid we'll need another major breakthrough in batteries before going full electric.

Anyway, I am excited to join the party!

-Etna

Bienvenue! Quebec is one of my favourite cities.

What kind of airplanes do you design?

Do you think it's worthwhile designing electric only or plug in hybrid planes now, given the long design and certification process, and planning to retrofit batteries that will double the range in say 10 years?

Thanks!

Gen3, I design small jets primarily, civilian and military.

What you are suggesting could certainly work, as long as the battery weight does not go down drastically. This is what I am hoping for, eventually.

A visit to QC is on my short list but need a fast charger on RT 2 first (connects to your 173)

The CHAdeMO at Peres Nature (where a lot of locals eat) in St-Georges is only 167 miles from Brewer or 155 miles from Augusta. The CHAdeMO in Lac Megantic is only 128 miles from Augusta.

Also, you save at least 20 minutes between Maine and Quebec City compared to a year ago thanks to autoroute 73 being extended South to St-Georges.

The CHAdeMO at Peres Nature (where a lot of locals eat) in St-Georges is only 167 miles from Brewer or 155 miles from Augusta. The CHAdeMO in Lac Megantic is only 128 miles from Augusta.

Also, you save at least 20 minutes between Maine and Quebec City compared to a year ago thanks to autoroute 73 being extended South to St-Georges.
I have a CHADeMO adapter for just such an occasion. Sounds doable even in winter. Hmmm...

I have a CHADeMO adapter for just such an occasion. Sounds doable even in winter. Hmmm...
Driving to either SC in ME would add about an hour's drive to the trip west. Could charge while having on-route breakfast instead. Trialed charging in Pittsfield, ME which could give me the jump I need to get to QC. Insource Renewables Warehouse offers two chargers with EV signed parking, 30 amps. Maine Federation of Farmers Markets offers two chargers but they were not powered, plowed, or signed and the building was closed on Sunday. Pics on PlugShare.

When is a good time to visit QC as a weekend tourist?

It depends on your tastes. Next weekend is the last one of the Winter Carnaval, "Experience the Quebec Winter Carnival | Carnaval " - Québec Winter Carnival

However, if the Carnaval doesn't interest you, it would make it the worst weekend for restaurant and hotel availability. I would also avoid February 26- March 11 because they correspond with Winter breaks where there is an influx of drunk 18-year olds. (Drinking age is 18 in Quebec compared to 19 in most other provinces.)