TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hi from South Florida

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Brit4864, May 7, 2013.

1. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

An Ameri-Brit here from South FL. New to this site and Tesla as well. After having read all the motor press noise about the "T" and watched those YouTube clips I finally had a test drive today at the Dania Beach, FL store in a red Model S P85. What a car! I was thinking of a BMW or Merc but after this, they seem pale in comparison. Decisions, decisions...

2. Soflason

Soflason Member

There is a strong, growing community of Model S owners here in South Florida... I hope you soon join us!! :biggrin:

3. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

It's very tempting. I'm also looking at putting solar panels on roof of my house which might help make the decision easier :wink: I can't understand why people living in FL don't make more use of free solar energy? I've seen more solar use in the UK! Has anybody tried this and does it actually charge the car for free?

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Should be doing 8kw of panels on my porch in the next few weeks. With luck, it will offset my (and soon to be my wife's) MS milage :)

5. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Welcome to the forums.

You may be interested to know that we have a Florida sub-forum.

With regard to the sluggish Florida market for solar I believe it has to do with the the lack of incentives offered by the state of Florida and the state's poor track record when it did offer incentives.

Perhaps another Ameri-Brit can elaborate. Nigel, are you out there?

Larry

6. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

Not an ex Brit, but served on exchange with the Royal Navy for 2 years at HMS Nelson and aboard HMS Bristol. Welcome - and strongly consider the S. We love ours. The Frist Shandy is on me if we meet sometime!

7. holstein13

holstein13 Member

I picked up my red P85 at the Dania store last week and love it. Also have 42kW solar system installed at the office. Let me know if you need more info or convincing.

8. Robecology

Robecology Member

Going for test drive today; have questions about carrying a charger..

Going for test drive today; have questions about carrying a charger..

Robecology

9. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

Thanks Larry and all you other T drivers. I agree about FL (non) incentives for solar and other alternative forms of energy. I think the scheme lasted a bare 2 years. Maybe Rick Scott has money invested in Big Oil? :wink:

holstein13: I don't think I need much more convincing! 42Kw?! That should be enough to run your office, house the T and most of your neighborhood as well :biggrin:

I maybe close to ordering. Just checking out insurance costs atm. So far GEICO quoted about $1200 per 6 months. That includes the current mode of transport, a leased (till next year) 2011 Hyundai Elantra. Waiting to hear what my current insurer Allstate come up with.

10. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

Well today, I plonked down $5k deposit on an 85Kw Model S so I shall soon be a member of the exclusive Tesla Club :smile: Another South FL T driver!

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Welcome from another Ameri-Brit. :cool:

BTW, here in SWFL I got great insurance rates from StateFarm. Use the search box top right of the screen and you'll find lots of insurance discussions on the forum.

12. Larry Chanin

I received a very reasonable rate from my Allstate agent. I think you will be pleased.

Larry

13. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

Allstate came back not too bad though a bit more expensive than GEICO. I'll check with State Farm as I had been with them for many years until recently.

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

You mentioned $1,200 up thread. I just paid $495 with State Farm for my Model S (and $692 for my Roadster).

15. Brit4864

Brit4864 Member

That's pretty good. The $1200 was for 2 cars.

16. Robecology

Robecology Member

17. Larry Chanin

Hi Robert,

Congratulations!

I know you sent me a private message regarding joining our club, but I'm having difficulty accessing and responding to that message.

Please send me an email to [email protected], with your full name, screen name and city and I will forward some club materials to you.

Regards,

Larry Chanin
    Founder, Florida Tesla Motors Club

18. DavidM

DavidM P2624, Delivered

Welcome to Brit and Robecology. We've got a great club in Florida. Congratulations on your Model S purchase. I've had car insurance with GEICO for decades. They did not hesitate to give me a competitive rate.

19. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Another welcome to both of you. If you're around Miami at some point, join me either a great cappuccino or a great rum and coke... your choice, my treat. Welcome to the Tesla Nation. Do join the Florida chapter, OK?