Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi, I’m a short seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, didn’t have to question it. He’s a whole lot closer to the actual number than you regardless of what that number is - if we could truly quantify Tesla’s lead by a simple number between 1 - 10 or 1 - 100.

Fyi, also someone who’s been holding the stock since $30ish, has read every non-SA article written (used to read SA but alas can’t stomach the blatant obtuseness), watched every interview, TV/Internet spotlight etc...

I should clarify how I arrive at my estimation of the technology lead Tesla possesses in the car market. When I look at buyable technology, being manufactured at any scale the market demands and the company can grow to, then the only vaguely competitive product I know of that is buyable today is the Bolt. Vaguely competitive as in >200 miles of range in a BEV format.

Tesla had that technology released into the market in 2008 as a hand built, low volume, production car. The Bolt isn't being manufactured in any quantity the market desires - it's being manufactured at compliance levels.

So we could say that the Roadster wasn't a car being manufactured at scale - and it wasn't - so we could move our start of time to 2012 and the beginning of the Model S. That's a car that IS being manufactured at scale, now up to around 50k units/year (total of 100k units S + X, with a bit more S than X).

There are 2 cars I know of in the market, both manufactured by Tesla.

And now the Model 3 is ramping. Recent evidence of 2k/week puts it at a 100k unit/year build rate at the end of March, so this is car #3 in the market. Tesla has the first 3 cars in the marketplace, one in 2012, one in 2015 (now I forget first shipments), and now the model 3 in 2017.

The first competitor to any of these cars people like to talk about is the Bolt. I'll be generous and say that the Bolt satisfies my criteria - it's >200 miles of range, and full market demand for the Bolt is 20k units/year, and GM is making all that the market demands. So add 1 car to the list in 2016. Actual demand and enthusiasm in the market makes it clear which one buyers demand, but including the Bolt means that we have 1 company kind of in the ball park - we might put them 4 years in Tesla's rear view mirror (2016 brings tech comparable to Tesla 2012).

That's the very best available.

I personally believe Porsche will be the next best competitor, but as of today, their technology gap is 2018-2012 and growing (or we could call it 2018 - 2008 and growing - they haven't yet matched the Roadster technology).

Audi talks a good game: 2018-2008 and growing.
Mercedes - same.

Nissan! They're actually tackling the mass manufacturing side, and major kudos to them. Just that their technology isn't comparable. I hope their new Leaf sells like hotcakes - the range is short, but as a Roadster owner, I've got personal experience with living with almost that little range (170's in my car, vs what is likely a pragmatic 130's or 140's) - that's very usable. But that can't isn't at scale yet.

That's how I think about the technology gap.

The core difference I see in long term shorts (such as purchasing '19 or '20 Puts, or selling shares short) and long term owners (such as myself), is that we both talk about products and finances, but we lead with different items. I lead with products and monitor finances of the company for follow through and avoidance of inability to continue.

Shorts talk about company financials, and are largely confused about the company products.

Product matters.

You need to go test drive a Model S or X. It really doesn't matter which, and little more than desire and a driver's license will get you behind the wheel @ShortSeller. There's a paradigm shift that comes with this kind of electric drive and performance. A test drive might help you get to the other side of the paradigm, and it might not. It got me started, but it took owning a Roadster for 6 months to really get it, so it probably won't.

Until you do though, you're definitely doomed to think that a car is a car is a car, and on that scale, Tesla is a <edit: car company that is a> financial disaster.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what he's saying. Over 8,000 were produced in April. You are saying Tesla is mostly building those by hand?
Where do you see 8,000 i
I am referring to the hand made comment...nice redirect though.
Yes, that's what he's saying. Over 8,000 were produced in April. You are saying Tesla is mostly building those by hand?
No idea on the 8,000 or not, April isn’t over and there’s been no official reporting on the figure. I believe they improved on Q1’s rate by adding people and going 24/7, not by adding automation.

No idea on the 8,000 or not, April isn’t over and there’s been no official reporting on the figure. I believe they improved on Q1’s rate by adding people and going 24/7, not by adding automation.
The automation has been there since last year, they've just finally started producing more cars on the line. In two weeks in April, Tesla produced 2070 and 2250 Model 3. Tesla Model 3 production aims for 6,000 units per week in June after upgrade in May – ~5,000 with margin of error, says Elon Musk

I don't think they'll be quite at 8,000 for April. I'm thinking more like 6,500-7,000, due to the shutdown of roughly five days. May should be more like 12,000. Then June at like 13,000, for a Q2 total of 32,000.

Reactions: bdy0627 and Zythryn
The automation has been there since last year, they've just finally started producing more cars on the line. In two weeks in April, Tesla produced 2070 and 2250 Model 3. Tesla Model 3 production aims for 6,000 units per week in June after upgrade in May – ~5,000 with margin of error, says Elon Musk

I don't think they'll be quite at 8,000 for April. I'm thinking more like 6,500-7,000, due to the shutdown of roughly five days. May should be more like 12,000. Then June at like 13,000, for a Q2 total of 32,000.

@ShortSeller - from April 1 of this year through end of March next year, will Tesla build more or less than 100k Model 3's (2k/week for 50 weeks)? (And representing unit growth of 100% in 1 year - which other car company is more likely to grow units by 100% in a year, ever?)

I'm taking the WAY over on that. In fact, I think >200k Model 3's (4k/week for 50 weeks) in the coming 4 quarters is more likely than <100k. Heck - the buyers are already lined up and have been waiting for more than a year, and every buyer has put some skin into the game ($1k deposit) that says better than words "I'm serious".

That means I think that in the next 4 quarters, Tesla is going to grow units 200% (revenue will be lower - we can approximate it at 2 M3's for 1 S/X, so revenue growth of 50% to 100%). Even Amazon, the poster child for fast growing revenue business didn't grow 50-100% at this scale in their business.

Reactions: bdy0627 and EinSV
The comment about hand-building 2000 M3s per week is simply ridiculous. Tesla has not quite 40,000 employees all up. Let's say half of them are at the Fremont factory. Let's say half of those are on the Model 3 line (an overestimate, since one of the design criteria of the Model 3 was to make it more automatable). Still that means 5 people can hand-build a car in one week. From scratch.

How Long Does it Take to Build a Car? | Gili's Automotive

Reactions: bdy0627
Where do you see 8,000 i

We have the leaked Elon email stating they "have now completed our third full week of producing over 2000 Model 3 vehicles. The first week was 2020, the second was 2070 and we just completed 2250 last week." We don't know what the week before was. The Bloomberg tracker shows 8,000+ for April. Unless Elon is lying and the Bloomberg tracker is way off, it seems reasonable to conclude they made around 8,000 over 4 weeks. I don't have an issue decreasing that number even to 6,000. Let me rephrase my question accordingly: do you think they made 6,000 model 3 over 4 weeks largely by hand?

Where do you see 8,000 i

Bloomberg model 3 tracker, which uses VIN data, in case you haven't seen it:
Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 7.12.24 PM.png

I

I don’t understand, are you saying the M3 isn’t largely handbuilt?
Short, what source of information do you have that the Model 3 is largely built by hand?

From statements from Elon Musk we have a total north of 4000 units built in the first two weeks of April.
This rate can’t be done “largely by hand”.

I would highly recommend reconsidering what sources of information you rely on for investment decisions.

Oh, absolutely hilarious.

It didn't take long apparently. Keep a short talking for a bit, and you'd find gems like this.

That was my thought exactly. I’ve seen the pattern several times where the short shows up, posts a handful of seemingly reasonable posts, but very quickly they can’t keep up the charade.

This one exposed himself faster than I expected. He only got to the end of page 4 before revealing himself, though was dropping hints by page 3. Such a disappointment.

The comment about hand-building 2000 M3s per week is simply ridiculous. Tesla has not quite 40,000 employees all up. Let's say half of them are at the Fremont factory. Let's say half of those are on the Model 3 line (an overestimate, since one of the design criteria of the Model 3 was to make it more automatable). Still that means 5 people can hand-build a car in one week. From scratch.

How Long Does it Take to Build a Car? | Gili's Automotive

There aren’t 20k employees at Fremont factory. Its more like 7k.