Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HI! New member from So. Cal.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, new member from So. Cal. specifically from the I.E. area, I currently do not own any EV vehicle but I'm considering purchasing a used Model S. I have barely started looking and am not just ready to "pull the trigger", I have no knowledge on EV cars and really drawn to the Model S because of the looks and styling. I currently have a Camry and Silverado, I have a 35 mile commute to work one way about 95% freeway w/ a carpool and about 5% street, I don't carpool but would love to commute in the carpool lane to save some time.

So I basically have come here in hopes to meet current owners that can give me real world advice on owning a Tesla.

Thanks!

...So I basically have come here in hopes to meet current owners that can give me real world advice on owning a Tesla.

Thanks!

You can visit a Tesla store.

There's a user monthly meet-up also:

This group's content is available only to members - The Tesla Owners Club of Orange County (Lake Forest, CA) | Meetup

Being able to drive in carpool lane with an EV is such a great benefit. You should try it.

Hi @bakerboy, I help run the group that @Tam has linked to and we welcome owners and Future owners to our meet ups... the next live Meetup (with open RSVPs) is in Lake Forest for Brunch at Bru on the 19th... the link provided above is for the group, or check my signature line...

Welcome, @bakerboy!

IMHO, you don't need much knowledge to be an owner of a Tesla Model S. At least, not these days.

I think you need these things:
  • A 240V/40A line out to your garage or wherever you park your car overnight
    • An electrician can install this for you -- it's like adding a line for a clothes dryer
    • You'll have a full battery every morning -- most owners charge to 90%, not 100%, for battery longevity
  • Local Commuting
    • Your commute implies that you don't even need to charge at work
    • Depending on what Model S you buy, you'll have 200 miles of range or more to play with every day
  • Long-distance travel
    • Tesla SuperChargers on highways and elsewhere provide very fast charging
      • The car knows where they are
    • You can also use slower level 2 and level 3 chargers and destination chargers at various restaurants, hotels, etc.
    • For your first few long-distance trips, refer to these tools to get a sense of where you can go based on how much time you have in your trip for charging
      • evtripplanner.com
      • plugshare.com
  • Maintenance
    • No routine maintenance except for windshield wiper fluid
  • Operational cost
    • Depending on where you live, you'll spend ⅓ - ½ what you would spend on premium gas
    • No oil
You probably will spend a lot of mental effort thinking about what Model S to buy. What year. Which battery pack. How much money. If you're thinking used car, I suggest you buy a Certified Pre-Owned from Tesla. They come with good warranties. You'll pay more than in a private sale but you'll have a lot of peace of mind, especially as a first-time EV owner. I'd look at a '15 or '16 to try to capture the best technology versus reliability versus cost points on those curves. I owned a '13, which I loved, and now a '16, which I also love! But there were clearly some teething pains in the early days. If you choose to buy one of those earlier models, again, a CPO with warranty is your friend. If private sale, make sure the owner can transfer a warranty to you. That way, if almost anything goes wrong, you're covered.

You probably don't need all-wheel drive in LA, which will save you some more money. Rear-wheel drive has great traction control, you don't have to worry about the problems rear-wheel drive had in the old days. I admit that I have an all-wheel drive car now (my '13 was RWD), but that's probably as much about my mid-life crisis as any compelling need in the Maryland area.

Don't get 21" wheels and tires, they'll just cause you pain and money and time. Again, I have to admit that I have (staggered) 21s... but, again, I refer you to the midlife crisis thing.

I'd also suggest getting the biggest battery pack you can afford, which translates into more range, which it turns out you won't use as often as you think you might, but it will give you great peace of mind in general and when you are on longer trips it will translate into fewer charging stops.

Finally, you may find yourself configuring and re-configuring your potential car -- doesn't matter whether it's build-to-order, inventory or CPO -- and worried that you might wind up growing hair on your palms. Don't fret: this is a normal phase of pre-Tesla ownership. However, at all costs avoid configuring after midnight local time. No good decisions are made after that hour and you are likely to wind up impulsively selecting all possible options, in red, a color you've never dared own before, hitting the buy button, and then wondering whether you should say something to the wife the next morning or just act casual when the new car arrives. I speak hypothetically, of course.

Good luck!

Alan

• Funny
Reactions: SD_Engnr