TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hi-tech sleeping policemen that use the pressure of passing cars to create power

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by dpeilow, Dec 11, 2008.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

London News: Hi-tech sleeping policemen that use the pressure of passing cars to create power are to be tested by Ealing Council | london life | thelondonpaper

Discuss...

2. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

If the plates are used in places where you want to slow down traffic anyways (eg replacing speed bumps), then it's a good idea. But for other places, it might actually be a wasting more energy than just using electricity normally.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I saw this whole idea proposed and discussed somewhere else a few years ago. In a way it is a direct (localized) tax on those that use that particular road. I have to imagine that it would create some extra noise as the cars drive over the generator.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Maybe only place them on downslopes.