Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hibernation Preparation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I've had a LOT of fun rides and miles driven, including teaching my kids how to drive with our Roadster. But we're driving it much less, sometimes a month or more without a drive. We don't want to sell or pass along the Roadster. Can anyone recommend what we should do to for a long rest?

Thank you,

Chris

Leave it plugged in with the 120V cord. Standard mode. Anything else and the battery can get way out of balance. A 220V charger will work, but the charger will always be on and wasting power. Just check the screen once a month to make sure is is charged and has no warnings showing.

Be wary of the original 120V cable though, the original has its own breaker that can trip and that has led to a few bricked roadsters!!!
OVMS will help you get a warning if the battery goes below a user defined threshold if you're planning to be away for long periods
AND have someone who can go and reset it!

When I'm not going on any long trips, I drop by the garage often enough that none of this is really needed :)

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricTravel
During that month something could cause a current drain and the battery become bricked. Why not disconnect battery @65% or so and then it will last for a few years.
--
???? Having owned a Roadster for over 9 years I have yet to see a crazy drain that would brick a battery in less than 6 months. The battery disconnect is a pain to remove and a super pain to put in. Just keep a standard charge and drive occasionally.

Reactions: hcsharp
> The battery disconnect is a pain to remove and a super pain to put in. [dhrivnak]

Nor have I ever seen a 'crazy drain' but there is always the traditional 'Tesla vampire drain' that is present in any Tesla product, plus stuff always happens. :( Two weeks was the leeway I allowed on my 2.0 if it was free-ranging without cable but consider the many risks: power shutoff due to clerical error or lightning strike that goes unreported, etc.

Is there a writeup on the disconnect process? I've certainly never even seen it described hereabouts - please someone. The OP said he could not 'drive occasionally' and likely does not trust ICE types to keep his Roadster properly plugged in and charged to a maintenance level (and I don't blame him for such fears). My 2.0 is dead due to such failures* and any Roadster wreck today is at the mercy of such ignorance.

* Tesla Service refused on more than two occasions to send a Ranger to perform this disconnect, even with all expenses paid. It was like they had no knowledge of this procedure or the simple fact that it would be much simpler and far cheaper than replacing the car's traction battery in toto.
--

Last edited: