Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HID light bulb upgrade OEM or aftermarket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning

After reading as many threads as possible and still not sure what direction I should go

I have a 2014 and have noticed that my headlights are a different hue in regards to my fog lights

The intensity has diminished, they both are still functional

I have asked Tesla and they only have one HID bulb replacement for all years

I see newer model S units with a different white then mine and wanted to upgrade to a brighter headlamp bulb to increase nighttime visibility and to match my fogs

Is it true there is only one Tesla HID bulb replacement?

What other options do I have going forward.

Previous posts are all over the place and no clear cut replacement bulb stands out

Thanks

HID bulbs do "wear out" with reduced illumination. The cheapest fix would be to try to simply get new ones, but increase the wattage by 10w. Be aware, that going to a higher wattage will increase the temperatures of the housing, which can cause bubbling and discoloration.

Hi, great post!!

I'm in the same boat. I wrote wrote this in an older thread but got no answer yet:

No upgrade that I know of for the OEM LED headlights from Tesla... they are a proprietary design.

If you have the original HID headlights from Tesla... found on the Model S from 2012 to mid-2016:
  • You can try the aftermarket LED kit that Tension suggested, however, the output will be low.
  • I would recommend an upgraded HID kit that will overdrive new bulbs at 55W vs. 35W OEM.
  • 50% more lumens and better night visibility with the Teala OEM projector lens system. :cool:

If a-t-il all possible, could you reference to where I could purchase such a kit and detail somehow what should I expect from the <overdrive > qualifier. I’ve got a HID that intermittent on our November 2013 model s and am puzzled as to what to buy. So far I’m tempted by these:

Philips D3S Standard Authentic Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, 1 Pack
Philips D3S Standard Authentic Xenon HID Headlight Bulb, 1 Pack
Or

RCP D3S 6000K Xenon HID Replacement Bulb Diamond White Metal Stents Base 12V Car Headlight Lamps Head Lights 35W, 1 Pair https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01KSTL06U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_n7u6DbNG500GH

In a way, what I'm looking for is something cheaper than Tesla's Service Center complete light swap and better lighting (although I'm pleased with the actual bulb performance) without having something too bright. Hense the quote which refers to the 55 watts bulbs but I'm at a loss as to how much lumens is enought but not too much. I also am looking for durability. Keeping with the original 35 watts 4300 lumens is certainly my safer bet but, you know, it's always tempting to improve within reason when a burned bulb forces you to look into this "complex" field. I write complex as you all understand that we don't know the results until someone tries it and shares his results always taking into account that this is a very subjective topic.

I have a 2013 tesla that has a flickering problem with the left HID. Sometimes it goes out completely and I can get it to come back on if I cycle the power to the lights. Does this mean my bulb is bad or my ballast is toast? Would love to use this as an opportunity to upgrade the lighting. I think it really sucks compared to other cars at night

I have a 2013 tesla that has a flickering problem with the left HID. Sometimes it goes out completely and I can get it to come back on if I cycle the power to the lights. Does this mean my bulb is bad or my ballast is toast? Would love to use this as an opportunity to upgrade the lighting. I think it really sucks compared to other cars at night
I had the same problem.

Replaced the bulbs two years ago (see @David99 Headlights turning off by itself) and they have been fine since.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF7QKUY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
is what I bought.

Is this an upgrade over the factory model S lighting? I noticed it's 35w which I think is the same as what the car comes with. I'd really like to get something better than factory OEM lighting
Do you have the HID headlights currently? IIRC there were HID and halogen versions in 2013 models.

These are very bright with a good cutoff.

My son just said the other day that he could tell when I was coming to pick him up because the headlights are so much brighter than other cars (which I'm not sure I agree with, but he did just say it, lol).

Do you have the HID headlights currently? IIRC there were HID and halogen versions in 2013 models.

These are very bright with a good cutoff.

My son just said the other day that he could tell when I was coming to pick him up because the headlights are so much brighter than other cars (which I'm not sure I agree with, but he did just say it, lol).
I have the HID lights

So would you say your lights are now better than factory?