Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hidden costs behind the Model S ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4 costs,
- Repair costs, if you get in an accident.
- Insurance costs, sometimes premiums can be high.
- 21" wheel costs, if you get those.
- Maint. plans aren't exactly cheap. ESA isn't cheap either.

Besides the above 4, it's all fun and games. And electricity is cheaper than gas.

Oh wait, you'll end up spending way too much time on TMC. That's a cost too.
What do you mean by "repair cost if you get in an accident"? Isn't insurance for that?

Make sure you look at 19 inch rims other than stock - especially if you are looking at pre-slipstream rims. Those rims were quite boring. I paid $800 for rims that look somewhat like the typical 21s. Sure the 21's still have their appeal but I feel like I got 50% of the "look" for a lot less money and less ongoing money.

Insurance - $50 more than a Leaf per year. Taxes - way more. No other expenses in 22k miles. Original tires and battery like everyone else has already said.

I also charge 50% at work. And I pay 5cents a kwh at home. So $100 or less per year for electricity.

• Informative
Reactions: GQbed
Hey all,

first of all, please excuse my english. My first language is french and my english isn't that good. Hope you'll understand me :)

So, I live in Swizerland, have a small company and i'm thinking about leasing a Model S 90D under my company (more than thinking actually, if everything's ok I'll have it in maximum 6 months).

The fact is, my company can affort the lease etc. but I'm far from "rich". So is there anything I should know before ordering it ?

I'm on this forum for 3 months already, reading almost every thread and just found yesterday that we have to change the 12V battery minimum 1 time a year. Pretty strange but that's fine. What else should I know ?? I'm especially afraid of any thing that can happen and that's not taken by the original warranty. I can't even think about repairing something that cost me 5-10k, can't afford it.

And what about the 21inch tires, do we really have to change them every 10k km ? That's already a "huge" investment if we buy them @tesla.

So yeah, any advice is welcome, thank you by advance.

Regards
Bonsoir :) J'habite en Australie et le problème le plus grand c'est les SPEEDING TICKETS!!!
I believe that en Swisse they charge you a fraction of your yearly income as a speeding fine? Ouch, ouch, ouch!

there are many ways to damage the car that necessitate costly repairs without having an accident that insurance would cover. like I noted earlier the control that tesla maintains over replacement parts and repair shops inflates the costs of repairs.

Exactly what kort677 said. Also insurance companies are not charity. You pay for it one way or another. I just park my tesla far far away from everyone else, and drive super carefully. I will say though, autopilot has saved my ass so many times now, it's incredible.

Reactions: Richg
Not saying it's charity.. But adding high cost of insurance and expensive repairs together seem like double counting to me

Yeah that's a fair point. But, lets say you did have insurance, and insurance pays for all your damage. Usually, it's a hassle to work with them (at least in the US). Even in the best circumstance, you have to pay for stuff yourself first, and then fight to get your money back. And if your repair bill is 20-30K, that's just a higher number you are working with = more stress, less sleep. To some 20-30K may not matter, but to me it does.

Thanks for this post. However it is scaring me. I took delivery of my P90D a few weeks ago. It has the 21 inch wheels. I wish I had read this post earlier. Does anyone know f you can get tire replacement insurance. Had that coverage on a Mercedes, and it paid for itself.

Swissmoneychf-I used to live in Pully,me some fun roads around there.

Thanks for this post. However it is scaring me. I took delivery of my P90D a few weeks ago. It has the 21 inch wheels. I wish I had read this post earlier. Does anyone know f you can get tire replacement insurance. Had that coverage on a Mercedes, and it paid for itself.

Swissmoneychf-I used to live in Pully,me some fun roads around there.

Discount Tire will typically be willing to sell you tire damage replacement certificates (insurance) on new car tires.

is that insurance on tires that they sold or is it for any tires on any car?
In the past I have been offered a certificate on OE tires from Discount Tires. I've never taken them up on that--typically because I wasn't thrilled with the OE tires and didn't want to prolong the experience--I don't know the current practice.

Replacing sticky 21" performance tires every 7-9K miles is expensive, even if you never blow one out or break a rim: way more expensive than the cost of the electricity you'll use wearing them out. And changing wheels twice a year for winter/summer driving is both expensive (purchase, storage, and swap expenses) and inconvenient. Unless you need to drive in the harshest winter conditions, a Dual-motor S on 19" Nokian WRG3 all-seasons is both a very good snow car and a very good summer car.