Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hidden Quality of Life improvement Tesla never mentioned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my May build vision only Model Y just received her first update since 7 weeks ago (4.21.3 -> 32.21). I find all new features exciting. But what pleasantly surprised me the most is the improvement on the YouTube app. Before this update, the YouTube interface was unbearably sluggish like using a 7 years old phone. The video playback on 60 FPS videos (more and more of these over time) was choppy and buffered a lot. I even submitted a bug report asking google to block 60fps videos for Tesla for what I assumed limited hardware capability.

After the update, the app interface is much smoother (not like butter, maybe jelly), and the video playback is night and day difference. Before update, the 720p60fps was ok, occasionally skipped frames, and the 1080p60fps was unwatchable due to constant buffering. After update, 1080p60fps is as smooth as it can get, and you can even watch some 1440p60fps if you are not too picky. While the 4K60fps plays like the 1080p60fps before the update, I’m already super satisfied.

Interesting that release notes said nothing about it. Could it be the choppiness in the previous version just for us new cars due to different chips and lack of software optimization? And now they just caught up with older cars by software update, and Tesla chose to do it quietly because they don’t want to admit the issue?

I bet if I go use Netflix/Hulu it will be just as abysmal as it has been since I took delivery in September 2020. 😞 I’ll have to try out YouTube again but even if perfect, it’s just not anything I’d ever see myself using. I don’t have any desire to be reaching over and tapping around at various YouTube videos in my Tesla, but it would be nice to watch an episode of a show or part of a movie while charging with Hulu/Netflix and it not feel like I’m running it on an HP Touchpad. 🤦‍♂️