Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hidden sensors in the model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was watching the pictures from the latest MotorTrend article (Tesla Model 3 In-Depth - Exclusive Photos and Analysis) and noticed that parking sensors and the front radar seem to be complete hidden (or missing) from the model 3. Also it seems that model X doesn't have those sensors visible while the refreshed S seems to have parking sensors visible.

Is it really so that Tesla has managed to make all those sensors to be hidden, or are they not visible in the pictures or are they missing altogether? I don't really buy the last one since that would probably hamper autopilot functionalities - I could see them being missing from manufacturing prototypes however.

You can make out the model S parking sensors from this one but I don't think X or 3 have those visible:
http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/si...a-Model-X-Tesla-Model-S-charging-stations.jpg

Back of the 3, don't see any sensors. Of course they could be in the black part:
http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2016/05/2017-Tesla-Model-3-rear-end.jpg

I can see the parking sensors on the X near the fog light. The Model 3 prototype clearly has a backup camera, but I can't see sensors in the images.

Maybe the sensors from the falcon wing doors have improved and they are using those??

At the end of the day if they were introducing a new sensors suite and new autopilot it probably wouldn't be in the engineering prototype designed to test the production drivetrain. Maybe it has it's own super secret prototype (retrofitting a model S so they can test it out on public roads without people figuring it out).

Be on the lookout with a Model S with a trifocal camera... Oh wait, aren't all the new ones coming with them?

Last edited:
The forward radar in the refreshed S is located behind the new nose and cannot be seen without removing the bumper. The 3 prototype is likely the same design. This is a great improvement for those who live in cold climates because then it is less likely to be blocked by snow and ice compared to the old style.

I agree with you that there do not appear to be any visible parking sensors in the bumpers, front or rear, in the Motor Trend photos. I doubt that Tesla built the 3 prototypes without sensors. I suspect they are there, but hidden. We know that the X Falcon Wing sensors at the bottom of the doors, facing outwards, are hidden.

I sure hope they're hidden. I can't stand the look of cars with those little circles all over an otherwise smooth bumper. They catch dirt also.

It seems to make them hidden, all they would have to do is to get the sensor/computer to ignore something that is very close to the sensor (the bumper material), and only "look" beyond that.

in an X presentation some time ago (last year?) Elon talked about them developing the FW sensors to be able to shoot thru the body skin and still be as responsive as the button style. So if they have the tech worked out, it would be great to incorporate the hidden style as much as possible.

in an X presentation some time ago (last year?) Elon talked about them developing the FW sensors to be able to shoot thru the body skin and still be as responsive as the button style. So if they have the tech worked out, it would be great to incorporate the hidden style as much as possible.
I don't know the details of how this works, but if it protects them more from minor bumps and scrapes, then that will help reduce the lifetime cost of ownership.

I sure hope they're hidden. I can't stand the look of cars with those little circles all over an otherwise smooth bumper. They catch dirt also.

It seems to make them hidden, all they would have to do is to get the sensor/computer to ignore something that is very close to the sensor (the bumper material), and only "look" beyond that.

It's not that simple. Objects in the path damp the signal, and oddly shaped objects distort the signal, leading to different sensitivity at different spots. I'm not quite sure how Tesla has the FW door sensors set up, but putting one behind a structural element is a non-trivial challenge and will be influenced by the shape of the structure it is behind.

I've not owned a car with the button sensors... are they prone to having issues?

Currently driving Volvo V60 with front and back sensors. Only issues I've had them is during winter if the snow is really wet and sticky blocking the sensors. But it's sorted out in 5 seconds by removing the snow. Mind you, it has happened like 2-3 times in over 3 years so it's not a common issue.

Never had any issue with dirt.