Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hide-A-Key (with magnets) placement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got cool Hide-A-Key box with 2 magnets, but MY has such an inordinate amount of (non-magnetic) Aluminum and plastic that I'm finding it hard to locate a stealthy spot to place it. The front passenger seat rails are the best I've come up with thus far. Your magnetic hotspot ideas are welcome!

I think you are holding onto something "legacy" here. I cant find a reason for anyone to have a hide a key type device with a tesla model 3 or Y

1. Keycards are valid keys, 2 come with the car, and fit in every wallet / purse etc.
2. You can use your smartphone as a key to open the door, and remote start the vehicle if desired
3. if you share your car with someone else, you can setup phone as key for them and / or if they have the tesla app on their phone they can open the door remotely for you, and also start the car for you
4. If you are at a friends home and somehow get locked out and cant reach anyone who already has tesla app setup, you could call a friend, have them download the tesla app, give them your credentials and have them unlock the door (and start the car). you would simply change your tesla account password shortly after.

All of this without having a potentially vulnerable key device on the vehicle itself anywhere.

You might be used to having one of those things, but I cant see a single purpose it serves thats safer than any of the above.... unless I am missing something.

Edit:.. I know thats not what you asked, but I used to use those things too, until my wifes X3 had remote access to open the doors and such, and I got my model 3.

Last edited:
My bad! I use the box to hide my house key in the event I forget it or lose it.
Replace the locks on your house with a capacative pinpad lock. The schlage one even has a rubber grommet covering an external 9v post, that you can tap a 9v battery to, if the batteries are dead, to be able to unlock the door... I haven't carried house keys in years....

Reactions: TSLY
OK, here is why a Hide-A Key spot is necessary for some of us.
As a surfer you need a spot to hide your key when you get in the water. So I've tried disabling the phone but you still need to hide the Keycard somewhere around the perimeter of the car.
I've seen those rings that are waterproof and can replace the keycards but I wouldn't trust them in the ocean. This is why I always take the truck when surfing.

As a surfer you need a spot to hide your key when you get in the water. So I've tried disabling the phone but you still need to hide the Keycard somewhere around the perimeter of the car.
I've seen those rings that are waterproof and can replace the keycards but I wouldn't trust them in the ocean. This is why I always take the truck when surfing.
You could place the Tesla key card in a waterproof pouch.

Got cool Hide-A-Key box with 2 magnets, but MY has such an inordinate amount of (non-magnetic) Aluminum and plastic that I'm finding it hard to locate a stealthy spot to place it. The front passenger seat rails are the best I've come up with thus far. Your magnetic hotspot ideas are welcome!
Good black duck-tape is your friend. You can tape it to the front or back under the plastic bumper area.

• Helpful
Reactions: TSLY and Ormond
I would not take it surfing. Could get lost.

When i was in Bonaire diving one year we had rental vehicles we took to dive sites. Locals new the divers would go in the water and then they would look for valuables in your vehicle. If you locked it they smashed the window with a large piece of coral that were all over.
We simply never brought valuables with us. they would look for money and jewelry. If there were none they left your possessions.

Once someone left a camera in the car. We took it and put it under the car and surrounded it with rocks. Perhaps put the key in a small ziplock bag. Put things on the ground behind your vehicle and then secretly bury it under the sand just under your car?

My bad! I use the box to hide my house key in the event I forget it or lose it.

Oh, yeah, I get that. I used to have one of those "fake rock" looking things in my back yard, with a key hidden in it for that purpose (in case I locked myself out of the house). The back door of my current house is a single door, with a lock (instead of a sliding glass door I mean). I replaced the standard lock on that door with a lock you can open with a keypad. The one below, but there are others of course:

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 8.16.25 AM.png

Works great, ensures I can get in the home, and its on the back door so not visible to the street, so it doesnt draw any attention to itself. I make sure to test it twice a year, spring and fall, because it has batteries and I dont want to end up with it not working if I need it to.

Off topic somewhat, but basically falls into moving on from hiding physical keys around, lol.

Reactions: TSLY
Um so if I drop my phone in the lake or it just dies on batteries which happens roughly once every 2 weeks, I’m supposed to do what ? Hope someone’s at the boat ramp who feels like letting me use their cell phone to call someone to install a app to unlock my car .. lol. That’s ridiculous. Tape a god d@m key card somewhere and ur back on the road in seconds instead of possible hours.. I never understand why people make simple stuff complicated

Reactions: ajrettke