Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hiding EZPass Plate Tag behind Front Bumper - Any Success?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just saw this YouTube where the Model X owner used 3M Adhesive to mount the EZ Pass Toll Transponder meant for the license plate mount inside the front bumper area. I just took my Illinois tag and tried the same thing. Going on road trip soon that will have me across several tolls , just wondering if anyone else has found this mount to be successful.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    637.4 KB · Views: 363
Reactions: Fiddler
Doing this is much easier on the pre-refresh Model S, where the nose cone can be popped off without tools, exposing the bumper and other front end gear. This also makes placing radar detectors easier.
Having a more readily accessible space in front would be a help in future models.

As a design, I would generally welcome an the return of a "mouth" to balance out the headlight "eyes" and eliminate the ugly Snidely Whiplash mustache.

Doing this is much easier on the pre-refresh Model S, where the nose cone can be popped off without tools, exposing the bumper and other front end gear. This also makes placing radar detectors easier.
Having a more readily accessible space in front would be a help in future models.

As a design, I would generally welcome an the return of a "mouth" to balance out the headlight "eyes" and eliminate the ugly Snidely Whiplash mustache.
The nose cone was eliminated because it resembled a carbuncle. So get over it...unless you like pus.

Just wondering.... is there a reason to use the license plate mount on current (refresh) Model S's? The normal EZPass transponder mounts fine on the windshield of the S and X, the windshield doesn't have the 'barrier' any longer. I can see the advantage of hiding it totally, but can also see issues with some signal attenuation if it's 'inside' the frunk. The nose cone was probably the perfect answer.

Edit: Having read the other thread, looks like if there's only some plastic between the transponder and the 'outside', it may work well. I'll give this a shot also when I get my car!

Last edited:
I can confirm that the EZ Pass (IPASS) license plate mounted transponder placed inside the front bumper cavity with double sided 3M tape inside the bumper from the Frunk works perfectly. We passed through 7 toll stations from Chicago to Ohio and had 100% success. More importantly I feel it works better than the windshield mounted from old ICE vehicle because it's so far forward you trigger the gate sooner so you can zoom on. :)

If you follow this YouTuber instructions it will work:

I can confirm that the EZ Pass (IPASS) license plate mounted transponder placed inside the front bumper cavity with double sided 3M tape inside the bumper from the Frunk works perfectly. We passed through 7 toll stations from Chicago to Ohio and had 100% success. More importantly I feel it works better than the windshield mounted from old ICE vehicle because it's so far forward you trigger the gate sooner so you can zoom on. :)

If you follow this YouTuber instructions it will work:
Okay, but seems like overkill. Why not just put it in the front of the frunk? And all that about 'transponders don't like to be backwards'. Really? I doubt the radio waves care. I bet they can get through to the antenna, etc. just fine from overhead.

If you are putting one of the windshield types in a forward location, I think the frunk is a better location (more waterproof, for one!).

FWIW: if you use ezpass in NYC I've found that when the ezpass is mounted internally if may not work on the MTA bridges and tunnels.
Do you mean a windshield or license plate transponder internally or both? Perhaps the straight overhead antennas don't like going through the roof? I assume the 'forward' gantries for highways have a better angle on interior placed units (like in the frunk through the plastic of the front bumper, or even in the console as some have noted!). Might work through a sunroof/pano glass though?

Do you mean a windshield or license plate transponder internally or both? Perhaps the straight overhead antennas don't like going through the roof? I assume the 'forward' gantries for highways have a better angle on interior placed units (like in the frunk through the plastic of the front bumper, or even in the console as some have noted!). Might work through a sunroof/pano glass though?
what I meant was that if you mount it behind the nose cone or in the frunk it may not work on the MTA crossings. I have about a 75% failure rate with my external pass mounted behind the nose cone. at every other ezpass facility I have less than a 5% no read rate.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
what I meant was that if you mount it behind the nose cone or in the frunk it may not work on the MTA crossings. I have about a 75% failure rate with my external pass mounted behind the nose cone. at every other ezpass facility I have less than a 5% no read rate.
Gotcha, I thought you meant 'internally' internally. Yeah, any gantry that is directly overhead needs direct line-of-sight, and a normal windshield or license plate mount will give that. Inside the frunk or bumper won't with the metal overhead. We don't have tunnel readers in Virginia, but something to think about if you do have them on your routes!

Last edited: