Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Amp Charger Upgrade affect SC speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably has been asked before but couldn't locate the Answer in my casual search of the forum so thought I'd ask here:

If one opts NOT to buy the "High Amperage charger upgrade" at time of Model S purchase, does the Supercharger still utilize the full 72 amp capability even if the HPWC can only use 40/48 amp?

I am assuming it might since this option can be enabled after the fact (i.e. appears to software unlock the 72amp HARDWARE that is standard with the new cars much like the 60kwh batteries are locked versions of the 75kwh batteries).

Or If you don't buy the upgrade (nor pay later to unlock) you get actual slower charging rate at a SC?

I hope the former but wanted to ask!

Thanks

Cameron

Probably has been asked before but couldn't locate the Answer in my casual search of the forum so thought I'd ask here:

If one opts NOT to buy the "High Amperage charger upgrade" at time of Model S purchase, does the Supercharger still utilize the full 72 amp capability even if the HPWC can only use 40/48 amp?

I am assuming it might since this option can be enabled after the fact (i.e. appears to software unlock the 72amp HARDWARE that is standard with the new cars much like the 60kwh batteries are locked versions of the 75kwh batteries).

Or If you don't buy the upgrade (nor pay later to unlock) you get actual slower charging rate at a SC?

Thanks

Cameron

The in car AC charger is bypassed by the Supercharger which is DC to DC direct charging. There is zero effect on your Suoercharging speed.

Thanks

Cameron
SC speed won't make any difference whether you have 72A upgrade o not. It's irrelevant.

• Informative
Reactions: CameronB
The ordering page on the Tesla web site used to have an explanation that the high amp charger option (and the previous dual charger option) has nothing to do with supercharging. I looked and it's not there now. I think Tesla should include that language again-- it's a common source of confusion among new buyers.

To further explain the above posts-- the only benefit of 72A charging option is for AC charging from power sources with that high of an amperage. That's only HPWCs (now just called Wall Connectors) on the appropriate circuit or high amp J1772s (which are uncommon).

The ordering page on the Tesla web site used to have an explanation that the high amp charger option (and the previous dual charger option) has nothing to do with supercharging. I looked and it's not there now. I think Tesla should include that language again-- it's a common source of confusion among new buyers.

To further explain the above posts-- the only benefit of 72A charging option is for AC charging from power sources with that high of an amperage. That's only HPWCs (now just called Wall Connectors) on the appropriate circuit or high amp J1772s (which are uncommon).

Thanks guys! That makes a lot of sense with the DC-to-DC mode of the SC.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Cameron

Do they offer different wall mounts at different speeds?

I have access in buying a new wall mount but don't know if they have different versions and/or speeds.

So my question I was going to ask falls in line with OP. thanks

A slight clarification. The Tesla Wall Connector can handle up to 80 Amps, but many are actually wired for 40 amps and even less than that. That further diminishes the potential value to the 72 amp option. One of the major reasons to buy that option is Destination Chargers which are simply HPWC made available for public use. many of them are 40 amp, others are 80 amp. Only the latter will use the extra oomph of the 72 amp option.

Two years ago I bought dual chargers, later changed to a single 72 amp option. For the first year or so I used the 80 amps regularly. Now, with Superchargers more widespread I would not upgrade the onboard charger today. The P110D I have speced has only the standard.

Do they offer different wall mounts at different speeds?

I have access in buying a new wall mount but don't know if they have different versions and/or speeds.

So my question I was going to ask falls in line with OP. thanks
Often you will get better results by starting your own thread, for future reference. The Wall Connector is a single model for each region, and is set internally to the correct amperage during installation.

Reactions: Saghost