Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Amperage Charger option now included in 100D/P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m asking based on an upgrade if you have 48amp... it’s confusing after simplification if 48amp became standard or 72 became standard
My understanding is that all new Xs come with 48A chargers. That said, the SC quoted me $1,900 to upgrade the charger on my 2016 P100D from 48A to 72A. I have no idea if they're able to upgrade the chargers on cars manufactured more recently though.

• Informative
Reactions: Axtrader
So when using a SC, will it take longer to charge?
No, as mentioned above, superchargers bypass the onboard charger. The 72A onboard charger has very limited use for most people. If you need to recharge quickly at home and can provide 90A to the HPWC or if you need to make use of level 2 chargers while traveling. Most commercial level 2 Tesla chargers are 208V, which means only 8-10kW of charge depending if they're wired to provide 40A or 48A (max) with the 48A onboard charger. If you find a destination charger marked as capable of 16kW, that means it should be able to provide the full 72A required for the high amperage charger to reach 15-17kW charge rate.

Either of those rates are a fraction of what's provided at a supercharger and even the lower 8kW rate is sufficient for overnight charging. If I had to routinely rely upon destination charging while I waited, I wouldn't have purchased the Tesla.

Reactions: Fer M
Superchargers bypass the AC Onboard Charger. For most people, you don't need the 72A as that will require a 90A feed (take 80% of the feed). For example at work we only have 4 fast chargers that can provide 72A to our cars out of like 20 HPWCs. If your home can at most provide 60A that would be 48A on the receiving end. Most homes provide just 40A or 50A (32A or 40A respectively), about the power needed for a dryer safely.

Honestly, I would not have bought the 72 amp charger. Tesla forced us if we wanted the 100 battery. If I really need an emergency quick charge, I’ll just go to supercharger. To take advantage of it I would have to change out breakers to 100s
And wiring to 3 size all to gain an extra 17mph charge speed, just not worth expense.

Reactions: jboy210
See below table. Not sure if it is completely accurate because on the 90A/72A "Fast Charger" at work it gives me about 40miles/hour of charge. Usually juiced up in about 2-3 hours for me.

At home it costs a bit more to install the proper breakers to handle that amount so installation itself will get complicated and possibly a whole review for an electrical permit (depending on where you live). In addition, home charging is generally for overnight and at a 40A/32A, 20 miles/per hour of charge... 8 hours will get you about 160miles and you generally charge to 80 or 90%. For me I go 90% and that is around 260-267miles. Should be plenty for most people. Supercharging is usually for trips and on the road.

In fact the way I work was that I was worried about not having a charger at home, but as I found out, don't really need one since I can charge at work (60 miles round trip through San Francisco Bay Area Traffic) and using the Supercharger once in a while on a weekend if I end up driving a lot for errands.

Hope this helps!

Wall Connector

2019-02-19_16-22-34.png

Reactions: Fer M
That chart was updated when the Tesla stopped offering the 72 amp changer. Notice that the changing is the same for all amperage from 48 to 80. I found an older article that talks about at 72 amps the charge rate is 52 mph.

The complete guide to Tesla charging at home, on the go and autonomously

Yep... For Model X, on 72A I get 40 Miles per hour of charge. That was because when I bought mine it came with a 72A charger.

Model X:
40 Miles per hour of charge @ 72A
30 Miles per hour of charge @ 48A

Does that justify extra $1,900? Depends on your needs and if you have SCs readily available and\or driving habits. You won't find a lot of 72A Level 2 chargers around or even much above 40/50A... primarily around 48A or the more common Chargepoints here in my area are the 28A. For me, not worth it based on my use patterns.

B128B05A-68F3-4EE5-9623-BB24F4839AA7.png
C96A4F80-AFAF-4D54-8050-7543849B5870.jpeg

54 MPH charge rate at home S 100D with 72-Amp charger. Relatively short cable run, 100 Amp breaker means low voltage drop.

50 MPH charge rate for my friend’s S 85D with dual 40-Amp chargers. Field-testing our daughter’s new HPWC on 100 Amp breaker. Longer cable run, more significant voltage drop.