Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Amperage Charger Really is ONLY 17.2kW - Current Lowers at High Voltage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

araxara

X-LR M3AWD, MYLR
May 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
I was hoping that the 17.2kW High Amperage Charger would give me a little more power if the voltage was above 240V (72A*245V), but it appears that the car lowers the current for voltages above 240V. See the following (very short) video where the voltage is lowered to 68A:

Low Amps Video
by araxara, on Flickr

My voltage is higher than 240V due to solar panel output. Also, the charge current is normally 72A. I have not lowered it myself.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Yes, I've posted about this earlier.

I confirmed it with Tesla. The charger is firmware-limited to 17.5 kW maximum and at voltage above 240, will scale back current. This is done to guarantee the longevity of the charger. I understand from some of my contacts that there is a possibility this could change in the future once there is more data, but there is no commitment.

Unfortunately, it seems to be both power and current limited. I have the charger on a 208Y service and can only hit 72A. I was secretly hoping it would go to 84A at this voltage.

Yes, I've posted about this earlier.

I confirmed it with Tesla. The charger is firmware-limited to 17.5 kW maximum and at voltage above 240, will scale back current. This is done to guarantee the longevity of the charger. I understand from some of my contacts that there is a possibility this could change in the future once there is more data, but there is no commitment.