TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

High Amperage Charger Really is ONLY 17.2kW - Current Lowers at High Voltage

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by araxara, Apr 22, 2016.

1. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I was hoping that the 17.2kW High Amperage Charger would give me a little more power if the voltage was above 240V (72A*245V), but it appears that the car lowers the current for voltages above 240V. See the following (very short) video where the voltage is lowered to 68A:

[​IMG]
    Low Amps Video
    by araxara, on Flickr

My voltage is higher than 240V due to solar panel output. Also, the charge current is normally 72A. I have not lowered it myself.

• Informative x 1
  2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yes, I've posted about this earlier.

I confirmed it with Tesla. The charger is firmware-limited to 17.5 kW maximum and at voltage above 240, will scale back current. This is done to guarantee the longevity of the charger. I understand from some of my contacts that there is a possibility this could change in the future once there is more data, but there is no commitment.

• Informative x 4
  3. Colby Boles

Colby Boles Member

Unfortunately, it seems to be both power and current limited. I have the charger on a 208Y service and can only hit 72A. I was secretly hoping it would go to 84A at this voltage.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

This is true of all Tesla's chargers. Current is what determines the trace and wire sizing for the chargers.