TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

High Amperage Charger Upgrade after Delivery

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tpham07, May 25, 2017.

1. tpham07

tpham07 Member

So does anyone remember before the 60 was d/c-ed that the high-amperage charger upgrade was $1500 for all vehicles (or $1900 after delivery).

Has anyone upgraded after delivery? I tried emailing my OA but no reply for 3 days now so lol i was wondering if that's still a thing or not.

2. kev1n

kev1n Member

• Disagree x 1
  3. tpham07

tpham07 Member

The dual charger is different from the high-amperage charger offered on the refreshed S and model X.

Those cars came with a single 48A charger that could be upgraded to a high-amp 72A charger, not the dual 40A/80A chargers from the previous models...

In fact, your link has in big red letters "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH NEW FRONT FASCIA MODEL S"

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. kev1n

kev1n Member

have you tried giving a service center a call? I've found them to be more responsive.

5. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I literally just had this upgrade done yesterday. I contacted the service center and they ordered the part. It took about 6 weeks to come in. The install took a full day. The price was $2,000 plus tax. Full cost was just over $2,100 including tax. Works great and now I can finally take advantage of the 100 amp circuit and HPWC I had installed in my garage a couple months ago.

• Informative x 1
  6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

I thought it was a software upgrade, just remotely flip a switch to allow higher rate.
    I guess not.

7. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

It was for a brief time after introduction of the new body style S. But changed a month or so after. It was also software on the early X, not sure for how long. So that is why there is some confusion on the topic.

• Like x 1
  8. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Hmm my car was an early new style, delivered Oct 16.
    I had a quote done for upgrade which showed labour = 0hrs. Not sure if that's because it's really zero labour or if they are just doing the whole thing as a package and not charging for labour.
    Still seems pricey for even a part swap, I was hoping they'd do a price drop like with the recent battery upgrade.

9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I'm guessing fixed price package deal.

Just because it is a swap, doesn't mean they reuse the old component. I don't want a used charger on my new car.

10. BeamMeUp

BeamMeUp Member

My car is also an early new style June 2016. Currently have a quote to upgrade the charger.
    Model S HIGH AMPERAGE CHARGER UPGRADE (1092669-00-A) @ EUR 2,100. Mentions: NO LABOR PERFORMED
    Is a software upgrade but has to be done at service center.
    • Standard internal charger 11 kW (32 amp single phase, 16 amp 3 phase) => 54km/h
    • Upgrade to 16,5 kW (32 amp single phase, 24 amp 3 phase) => 81km/h
    You should check with your service center.

11. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

I just don't understand why it's so expensive.
    $2800AUD or $2100EUR seems crazy to just software enable, especially as it just frees up the destination charger quicker for someone else to use.

• Funny x 1
  12. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

My car is a December 2016 build, and it was definitely more involved than just a software change. They disassembled the back seat and physically installed a different charger. I could tell from the app that they had the car parked with the doors all open and the hood up for several hours, and when I got the car back they had disconnected all the child seats and had them just laying in the car on their sides.

• Informative x 1
  13. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Some are software locked, and some are two different physical parts--depends on when it was built. Also, since the European ones are capable of three phase, I don't know much about whether those were more software locked or not.

14. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

In Australia we are 3 phase as well. My car was Oct 16. The service invoice said "no labour required". Not sure if that really means there's no labour, or if it's just an easy way for their system to not charge for labour.

15. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

It's a price point they are trying to maintain for profit margin. But I assume more amperage, more warranty risk, etc.

Of course, all software should be free. It's just software.

16. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Well it's not really even buying software. The software is there, it's just a matter of changing the variable MAX_AMPERAGE=11 to MAX_AMPERAGE=16.5 via some admin screen.
    I understand wanting to maintain a price point. Just bad luck for me I guess.

• Love x 1
  17. nflfan7

nflfan7 Member

Hi, maybe you know this answer. i am having my Tesla wall charger installed, I'm putting in 90 amps since my car has the high amperage option. Should I also have installed a safety disconnect? Thanks much.

18. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

The electrician should know. It's based on local code. I believe primarily for the safety of someone working on it, so they can see if someone tries to flip it back on while they are working.

• Like x 1
  19. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Yes, that is required for an EVSE installation of a circuit greater than 60A.

No, it's not just based on local code. It's part of requirements of the national electric code about EVSE installation. Here is the citation:

http://mydocs.epri.com/docs/publicmeetingmaterials/1112/PDNNSH5Q3Z2/Day 1 PlugIn Electric Vehicle Codes Standards/D1_7C G Kissel Article 625 Restructure Proposal.pdf

This is section 625.42 "Disconnecting Means"

"For electric vehicle supply equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to
    ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location.
    The disconnecting means shall be capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for
    locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or
    circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the
    lock installed. Portable means for adding a lock to the switch or circuit breaker sh
    all not be permitted."

20. BeamMeUp

BeamMeUp Member

Just got the upgrade installed. Turned my car in at 10:45 and just before 11:00 I got it back. Job done. Now I'm charging at 24A and 81km/h. Don't know what they did. Given the very short time, which includes driving from the parking to the garage and back again, it couldn't have been much more than removing a panel and turning some switch. But honestly I don't know.