Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Amperage Charger Upgrade after Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the upgrade installed. Turned my car in at 10:45 and just before 11:00 I got it back. Job done. Now I'm charging at 24A and 81km/h. Don't know what they did. Given the very short time, which includes driving from the parking to the garage and back again, it couldn't have been much more than removing a panel and turning some switch. But honestly I don't know.
Was it a Model S or X, and what was the delivery month?

Just got the upgrade installed. Turned my car in at 10:45 and just before 11:00 I got it back. Job done. Now I'm charging at 24A and 81km/h. Don't know what they did. Given the very short time, which includes driving from the parking to the garage and back again, it couldn't have been much more than removing a panel and turning some switch. But honestly I don't know.
Can I ask what the cost was?

My car is a December 2016 build, and it was definitely more involved than just a software change. They disassembled the back seat and physically installed a different charger. I could tell from the app that they had the car parked with the doors all open and the hood up for several hours, and when I got the car back they had disconnected all the child seats and had them just laying in the car on their sides.

Sdorn: just to clarify, did you get an upgrade to the high amperage charger or did you manage to get a dual (or second) charger installed?

Incidentally, I notice that since the changes last month to the base specs, there is no longer an option fo the high amerpage charger. I have a one week old loaner Model X at the moment and it will only charge at 11 kw...

Sdorn: just to clarify, did you get an upgrade to the high amperage charger or did you manage to get a dual (or second) charger installed?

Incidentally, I notice that since the changes last month to the base specs, there is no longer an option fo the high amerpage charger. I have a one week old loaner Model X at the moment and it will only charge at 11 kw...

I got a high amperage charger that will charge at 72 amps, not dual chargers that can charge at a combined 80 amps. My understanding was that the dual charger setup is no longer available for newer cars. My car was built in December 2016.

I got a high amperage charger that will charge at 72 amps, not dual chargers that can charge at a combined 80 amps. My understanding was that the dual charger setup is no longer available for newer cars. My car was built in December 2016.

Yeah that's my understanding as well. I have that already. But for a new car it looks like even the high amperage charger is no longer an option.

Maybe. But, I have a loaner X75D from St Leonards. It had 31 kms on it when I got it. And it will only charge at 12kw/ 16A on my 3 phase charger.
Not much info out of Tesla, but it's been a few weeks since the high amp upgrade option disappeared (implying all cars are high amp).
Given the shipping time to Aus, your loaner might have been built prior to the change.
All conjecture though...

These assumptions and implications seem to be going the wrong way. When they first took it off of the website, it turned out the 75kwh models were all getting the lower power charger, and the 100kwh models were all getting the high power charger. Considering that they are doing the same thing with the Model 3, where the lower battery capacity gets the 32A charger and the bigger battery gets the 40A charger, this would seem like the more likely situation, rather than this assumption that all Model S are getting the higher power charger.

These assumptions and implications seem to be going the wrong way. When they first took it off of the website, it turned out the 75kwh models were all getting the lower power charger, and the 100kwh models were all getting the high power charger. Considering that they are doing the same thing with the Model 3, where the lower battery capacity gets the 32A charger and the bigger battery gets the 40A charger, this would seem like the more likely situation, rather than this assumption that all Model S are getting the higher power charger.

Yeah I guess with the smaller battery you could live with the slow charging. But all of this SKU rationalisation in the pursuit of cost outs is getting a little extreme. At this price point, weed more choice (especially around the interior).

Wouldn't surprise me if they rollout "Tesla Individual" once the 3 gets a head of steam. More choices and more margin for some of the stuff they used to offer. Maybe leather again.

Yeah I guess with the smaller battery you could live with the slow charging.
48A is not slow charging for AC charging. It's a bigger charger than any other EV on the market except for Tesla's 100D cars. It's even bigger than the standard charger in all the early Model S. (Few people ordered the dual charger option, and some of those were because they mistakenly thought it would give faster supercharging).

48A is not slow charging for AC charging. It's a bigger charger than any other EV on the market except for Tesla's 100D cars. It's even bigger than the standard charger in all the early Model S. (Few people ordered the dual charger option, and some of those were because they mistakenly thought it would give faster supercharging).

It's slow once you have the fast one. Especially if you have 3 phase power.

Reactions: boonedocks
We have the 48A charger for our S 100D, and that's fast enough to fully charge the car overnight (assuming we are always driving between 10-90% of charger). It is connected to an HPWC on a 100A circuit, so we could charge faster, if we had the 72A upgrade - but we really don't need it.

Our S P85 has the dual chargers, and can charge at 80A - and we haven't needed to charge that fast. Now the S P85 is charging using a 14-50 outlet, dialed down to 32A (because it's on the same 100A circuit) - and it looks like the new Model S we should be getting in Q4 this year only comes with a 32A charger.

Screenshot_20170807-235505.png

Reactions: Jan Fiala