Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Back Booster for Model S? Cybex, Diono or Maxi Cosi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone find a HIGH BACK booster that has worked for them? I've seen a lot of old threads debating backless boosters and seat belt extenders -- please let's not rehash that. I'm just wondering with new car seats coming out every year, has anyone found a high back booster that works with the seatbelt path and NO seat belt extenders. Especially interested to hear if anyone has successfully used a Maxi Cost Rodifix or any of the Cybex seats as they all seem to have a narrow base. I have a Clek Oobr which doesn't work because of the tilted-forward headrest and the fact that it blocks the seatbelt. I've also used a backless booster for several months now (Chicco GoFit Backless) but my daughter is complaining that her back hurts and she would like a headrest, and I am thinking now I'd feel better with side impact protection.

Or those with a Diono RXT: does it work for you with the seatbelt? I'm worried my daughter is too tall for the harness slots.

I have the cybex and it latches in just fine (their boosters connect to the latch anchors so it isn't moving around when not in use), but blocks the buckle, so you have to decide - either an adult climbs in the back each time to help the little guy/gal, or you use a seat belt extender with it. Not crazy about either choice...

Anyone additional thoughts here? I just picked up a Maxi-Cosi RodiFix for my new Model S and, as described by The Car Seat Lady for the Model X (You are being redirected...), there's a gap at the back created by the headrest. There's also a slight gap on the bottom created by the rigid LATCH system. Maxi-Cosi explicitly states the seat is not compatible with the Model S because of the headrest interference.

What I'm wondering is: is it better to just use a booster (no back) and forgo the additional side-impact protection provided by the high-back, or use a high-back that doesn't fit properly? I'm guessing there's no good answer to this because it would require some sort of crash testing to determine if the improper fit is sufficiently detrimental.

Quite honestly I find the whole thing very frustrating. I'll likely require a proper booster (high-back or not) for my kids for the entire time I own the car, so it would be good to know if I'm putting them at risk.

I have the jumpseats and 3 kids between the ages of 4 and 9, so (in addition to the problem of fighting over the jumpseats) I have the same booster/seat belt problem. I haven’t found a great booster, but I did buy a car seat leveler/angle adjuster from Amazon for $7 to put under the seat that evens out the slope of the back seat where it slopes down away from the door, making it a bit easier to access the seatbelt. The 4 year old can’t buckle it himself by the 7 and 9 year olds can. Helps a little until someone finds a better booster seat.

I just switched to a Maxi-Cosi RodiFix for my 4 year old and have been quite happy with it. I wasn't even aware of any potential fitment issues until seeing wesjanik's post. I like the rigid LATCH system which makes it a lot easier to install/uninstall the seat for those times I need to fold down the seats for those Home Depot/Lowes runs without trying to stick my hands through the seat cushions to try to find those stupid LATCH buckles at the end of the belt straps.

When your kid gets older and you switch over to backless, I just got the Harmony Big Boost Deluxe with LATCH for my 6 year old. The shape of the seat works very well with back seat of Model S as it tapers in narrow to give you access to the seat belts, but the front is wider for a larger kid to sit comfortably. Only downside of this model is that it is a Walmart exclusive...

Anyone find a HIGH BACK booster that has worked for them? I've seen a lot of old threads debating backless boosters and seat belt extenders -- please let's not rehash that. I'm just wondering with new car seats coming out every year, has anyone found a high back booster that works with the seatbelt path and NO seat belt extenders. Especially interested to hear if anyone has successfully used a Maxi Cost Rodifix or any of the Cybex seats as they all seem to have a narrow base. I have a Clek Oobr which doesn't work because of the tilted-forward headrest and the fact that it blocks the seatbelt. I've also used a backless booster for several months now (Chicco GoFit Backless) but my daughter is complaining that her back hurts and she would like a headrest, and I am thinking now I'd feel better with side impact protection.

Or those with a Diono RXT: does it work for you with the seatbelt? I'm worried my daughter is too tall for the harness slots.
Hi, what did you end up getting for your high back booster seat? I have a Model S and Cybex B-fit is not fitting properly. I was considering Z-fix or Clek Oobr, but I am so confused. I want to get one of those ADAC tested side protection booster. Thank you in advance!