Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High battery degradation from brand new MYP.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MYP last week and have noticed that ABRP is showing over 7% battery degradation. My last model Y had less than 2% after 24,000 miles. Seems very excessive for a brand new car. Also the last model y showed over 77 kWh capacity and this one is showing much less at 73 kWh. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Attachments

• 7A4EFD10-4468-4255-B598-D1FA4D064DE8.jpeg
    7A4EFD10-4468-4255-B598-D1FA4D064DE8.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 275
I wonder if the degradation is being calculated based on a bad assumed number. I say that because IF the capacity of a 100% battery was incorrectly assumed to be 79.00 kW then the math would work out to 7.1% degradation you are seeing:

73.4 kWh / (100% - 7.1%) = 79.0 kWh

Of course this might just be a coincidence.

My Model Y LR has 27,941 miles and ABRP live data says my degradation is only 0.8% BUT my capacity is 72.9 kWh, which is less than you. I'd rather have more capacity, regardless of the calculated degradation number ;-)

I wonder if the degradation is being calculated based on a bad assumed number. I say that because IF the capacity of a 100% battery was incorrectly assumed to be 79.00 kW then the math would work out to 7.1% degradation you are seeing:

73.4 kWh / (100% - 7.1%) = 79.0 kWh

Of course this might just be a coincidence.

My Model Y LR has 27,941 miles and ABRP live data says my degradation is only 0.8% BUT my capacity is 72.9 kWh, which is less than you. I'd rather have more capacity, regardless of the calculated degradation number ;-)

That is an interesting theory. I did see the percentage change from 7.3% to 7.1% degradation after super charging, doing some personal tests to see if ABRP just didn’t have enough charging data. There is another thread, covering something similar stating ABRP only gets degradation data while supercharging. I might try supercharging to 100% next time I have some free time to see if that changes the calculation at all.

Also isn’t the maximum capacity rated at 82 kWh now instead of 79 kWh?

Isnt it still a guessometer? While its better than nothing it does mean that if one number is wrong then whole thing is wrong and in some cases you could never know you are looking at bad data.
No. A guess-o-meter refers to a range display that changes based on driving style.

That is not what Tesla does. The energy screen and the range display in the car combine to tell you exactly what is the kWh capacity of your battery - and Tesla tells you in kWh. It is an estimate of the BMS, but it is not a guess-o-meter.

I’d recommend the OP just use the car displays to find out what it is saying for the battery kWh capacity, as outlined elsewhere. And also be patient with a brand-new car - it may take a while for the BMS to settle out.

As I recall MYP starts at about 80.7kWh, and it does seem that ABRP is assuming 79kWh (I’ve seen them make this error before), which means it is underestimating “capacity loss” (which is probably but not certainly just BMS error in this case).

Last edited:
I picked up my MYP last week and have noticed that ABRP is showing over 7% battery degradation. My last model Y had less than 2% after 24,000 miles. Seems very excessive for a brand new car. Also the last model y showed over 77 kWh capacity and this one is showing much less at 73 kWh. Anyone else have a similar experience?

May be schedule an appointment through the Tesla app as an extra check? ABRP is a third-party app...it doesn't make sense for a brand new vehicle to show that level of degradation. That app should may be have an option to set the degradation to 0%.

I would definitely see what Tesla has to say about this though. They can do extra testing and make sure everything is good with the main battery.

Did you get it checked out? My 2021 model 3 sr that I bought in September last year has lost around 6% in battery degradation and I also wonder if this is normal. There are about 4,300km on the car

Did you get it checked out? My 2021 model 3 sr that I bought in September last year has lost around 6% in battery degradation and I also wonder if this is normal. There are about 4,300km on the car

I guarantee you 10000% that if they did "take it to get checked out" they were told "this is within spec". That is what tesla will tell anyone who brings any sort of degradation concern to them before the 30% thresshold, unless the car is also throwing out battery errors.

Nothing wrong with 6%. Normal over the course of the first 5 months. Definitely on the high side, but definitely normal. Also I wouldn't put too much stock in cold weather estimations (it's just more for the BMS to correct for so another potential source of error), and the number will bounce around a couple % anyway. So it could be as little as 4% loss. On the plus side, you're well on your way to 10%.

My suggestion is to not worry about it. The BMS is just a rough estimate. Last spring, I tried many of the recalibration tricks just to have my car be back in the bottom 5% of Teslafi a within a week. After being well below average for the past 18 months, today, it's right at the fleet average. Why? Who knows. It's not worth worrying about.
Screenshot_20220111-173252_Chrome.jpg