Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High beams not working or I don't know how to work them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure they work that way?
Here is how the manual describes it:

1628541188742.png

Again it isn't auto high beams. It is auto low beams, when you have high beams turned on.

Here is how the manual describes it:

View attachment 694376

Again it isn't auto high beams. It is auto low beams, when you have high beams turned on.
So why does Tesla call it Auto High Beams? And why do you have to activate Auto High Beams in the menu? If it was auto low beams, they should call it that. All in all, very confusing. Maybe the best term would be "auto high beam disable". By default high and low beams are active and the high beam portion is disabled when oncoming light is detected. And suggesting that the low beam portion is off when high beams are on is also false. Both beams are on when high beams are on. Otherwise you would have low visibility in front of the car and only be able to see far down the road which would be very unsafe.

This is confusing. Are you sure they work that way? When I had the auto feature activated I did not have to push the stalk away from me. However, the auto feature did not work properly so i disabled. Now it turns on when I push away from me and turns off when I pull towards me, like normal high beams. Also, low beams are always on when it's dark. Why would the car think it only needs high beams? I don't believe that is possible. There is OFF/Low Beams ON/Low+High ON.
Yes, that is definitely how it works... Auto headlights only turns on/off the lowbeams. When you push on the left stalk, you'll see a grey outline with an "A" in it for auto... It will turn blue if the highbeams actually turn on. If you push forward on the stalk again, the grey outline with the "A" will disappear...

If your highbeams are turning on by themselves without you pushing on the stalk, I'm guessing you have Auto Pilot on? Auto Pilot will automatically turn on your brights in auto mode, when your lowbeams are on. But if you push forward on the stalk, you can turn off auto highbeams while keeping AutoPilot enabled. I had to just that on a recent roadtrip to prevent from flashing everybody.

So why does Tesla call it Auto High Beams? And why do you have to activate Auto High Beams in the menu? If it was auto low beams, they should call it that. All in all, very confusing. Maybe the best term would be "auto high beam disable". By default high and low beams are active and the high beam portion is disabled when oncoming light is detected. And suggesting that the low beam portion is off when high beams are on is also false. Both beams are on when high beams are on. Otherwise you would have low visibility in front of the car and only be able to see far down the road which would be very unsafe.
This is how it works in all my other cars too tho. You can enable disable auto-highbeams in the settings... Then if you push on the stalk with auto enabled, it displays an A instead of H, and will only turn on the highbeams if it thinks there are no cars around... If you don't push on the stalk, the highbeams will never turn on, regardless what the auto setting is.

And suggesting that the low beam portion is off when high beams are on is also false. Both beams are on when high beams are on. Otherwise you would have low visibility in front of the car and only be able to see far down the road which would be very unsafe.
This is actually not true. It is normal on many headlight designs for the low beams to turn off when the highbeams are on. 9007 bulbs for example are all like this.. You typically cannot engergize the lowbeams and highbeams at the same time on a 9007 bulbs.

Yes, that is definitely how it works... Auto headlights only turns on/off the lowbeams. When you push on the left stalk, you'll see a grey outline with an "A" in it for auto... It will turn blue if the highbeams actually turn on. If you push forward on the stalk again, the grey outline with the "A" will disappear...

If your highbeams are turning on by themselves without you pushing on the stalk, I'm guessing you have Auto Pilot on? Auto Pilot will automatically turn on your brights in auto mode, when your lowbeams are on. But if you push forward on the stalk, you can turn off auto highbeams while keeping AutoPilot enabled. I had to just that on a recent roadtrip to prevent from flashing everybody.
No, I do not have auto high beams enabled. Blinded too many oncoming cars, implementation is garbage. And by pushing forward on the stalk to turn high beams off you are not disabling auto high beams. You are just turning them off until the next time you drive when they will turn back on. The only way you can disable is in the menu.

This is how it works in all my other cars too tho. You can enable disable auto-highbeams in the settings... Then if you push on the stalk with auto enabled, it displays an A instead of H, and will only turn on the highbeams if it thinks there are no cars around... If you don't push on the stalk, the highbeams will never turn on, regardless what the auto setting is.
That makes sense and now that you mention it I think my wife’s last 2 cares were that way. However I swear the last Grand Cherokee I had was always on when it detected it needed it and didn’t require a per drive setting.

I'm having the same issue. I have a long, unlit narrow drive through woods. I'd love to have high beams on to see any animals in the road ahead, but they will not stay on. It seems that just the reflections from the trees are confusing it. When I get onto a wider country road they will stay on.
I think the sensitivity of this needs to be turned down. Oncoming car headlights should be distinguishable from tree reflections.

I'm having the same issue. I have a long, unlit narrow drive through woods. I'd love to have high beams on to see any animals in the road ahead, but they will not stay on. It seems that just the reflections from the trees are confusing it. When I get onto a wider country road they will stay on.
I think the sensitivity of this needs to be turned down. Oncoming car headlights should be distinguishable from tree reflections.
At least it's possible to fix with an update... All my cars have this exact same problem on our unlit backroads on our hill... when I'm going up the hill, one of the houses has a mercury vapor lamp on the back of their property... This light pokes thru the trees at just the right angle on one of the curves near the crest of the hill, that confuses all my cars' auto highbeams, both Tesla and non-Tesla. This is unfortunate for me, becuase right after this curve, is where the deer like to jump out... Luckily, my Y is much quicker to turn the highbeams back on than my other cars. On my other cars, I have to rely on flash to pass, to force the highbeams on, to check for deer.

This is not what is the problem with my model 3 or some others are stating. We want to temporarily switch ON high beam, and not just flash. In most cars, you push left stalk forward to do this (you pull left stalk back to flash). But in my model 3, push left stalk forward only toggle auto main bean on and off.

This is not what is the problem with my model 3 or some others are stating. We want to temporarily switch ON high beam, and not just flash. In most cars, you push left stalk forward to do this (you pull left stalk back to flash). But in my model 3, push left stalk forward only toggle auto main bean on and off.
My other cars work like this too... If you push the stalk, it only turns on the brights in Auto mode... If you want it to force on the brights when you push the stalk, you need to disable Auto Highbeams...