Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High cost of charging according to TeslaFi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow I am polar opposite. I'd only buy one again b/c of the money we are saving. I mean it costs me like 3 bucks to charge overnight off peak and we've driven 2300 miles so like $30 to charge at home. Premium gas for same milage would be approx $345. Not to mention saving $100-200 a month not being charged for PeachPass Lane (Georgia) and if you believe "time is money" then the single person lane is priceless.

I don't even question the savings over a ICE especially ones that that Premium like our MB, BMW. Especially in the Summer Jun-Sept.

View attachment 727905

I know it works out for some people but it's highly dependent on temperatures, utilities rates and driving conditions.

Also your numbers don't add up but it's irrelevant anyway. You must have paid more than $30. You likely paid over $100.

Not saying it's Teslas fault. If my electric was cheaper I'd be happy so it's my utilities fault.

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
I know it works out for some people but it's highly dependent on temperatures, utilities rates and driving conditions.

Also your numbers don't add up but it's irrelevant anyway. You must have paid more than $30. You likely paid over $100.

Not saying it's Teslas fault. If my electric was cheaper I'd be happy so it's my utilities fault.

I get an alert each day of previous days electricity usage. Every time I charge from 15-20% to 100% (LFP) my usage goes up $3. One day it was $4 but we really used the a/c that day in the house. I monitored this the first 6 or 7 full charges and same every time.

So it does add up...perfectly.

Reactions: Karsa
I get an alert each day of previous days electricity usage. Every time I charge from 15-20% to 100% (LFP) my usage goes up $3. One day it was $4 but we really used the a/c that day in the house. I monitored this the first 6 or 7 full charges and same every time.

So it does add up...perfectly.

Am I looking at this wrong or something?

Even if you charged off peak and had no extra fees your Tesla would need to consume around 8kwh per 100miles for it to cost $30 to go 2300 miles at a rate of $.15 per kWh.

I don't think that's possible yet.

Even if you charged off peak and had no extra fees your Tesla would need to consume around 8kwh per 100miles for it to cost $30 to go 2300 miles at a rate of $.15 per kWh.

I'm just telling you my real world scenario...and GAPower is .05 cents per kWh at night. 7 times tracked and each time my power bill went up $3 to charge overnight to 100%.

My average monthly power usage is about $5 a day...including those 2 times a week we fully charge.
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 10.22.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 10.29.17 PM.png

2021-09-23_11-06-28_000.jpg
2021-09-23_11-06-38_000.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Z_Lynx
I'm just telling you my real world scenario...and GAPower is .05 cents per kWh at night. 7 times tracked and each time my power bill went up $3 to charge overnight to 100%.

My average monthly power usage is about $5 a day...including those 2 times a week we fully charge.
View attachment 727935

View attachment 727937
View attachment 727938View attachment 727939

Oh I see what I did wrong. I though they were giving you a time of use rate reduction of .05 from .20 but that's wrong. Your electric is actually dropping to .05. At that rate yes your car is using 30kwh per 100miles so it's normal. It's really good your electric company gives you a 75% discount.

I don't have a smart meter here in PSE&G-land NJ, but I've noticed that they charge a fee of something like $12 per month for the plan which has on-peak and off-peak rates. I'd need to sit and calculate how much I'd really be saving to charge off-peak with the charge included. Right now, I'm paying somewhere between 13.2 and 14.1 cents per kW, depending on total usage and time of year. Which certainly isn't terrible. I still have to sit down and look at my total usage over the 6+ months I've had my car vs the previous 6 months (although seasonal variations and estimated bills prior to getting the car might make that difficult). But I didn't necessarily buy the car because I would save on fuel (although anecdotally I feel like I am). The real savings come with maintenance savings over the ICE vehicle, even without catastrophic issues like a new clutch. Also - I like the idea of doing my little part for the environment, especially as the grid gets cleaner (sorry, Joe Manchin, but this WILL happen). And it's a cool ride....

And @rejedejo in the Northeast typically Supercharger fees are 31 cents per kW, not 25 cents.

I don't have a smart meter here in PSE&G-land NJ, but I've noticed that they charge a fee of something like $12 per month for the plan which has on-peak and off-peak rates. I'd need to sit and calculate how much I'd really be saving to charge off-peak with the charge included. Right now, I'm paying somewhere between 13.2 and 14.1 cents per kW, depending on total usage and time of year. Which certainly isn't terrible. I still have to sit down and look at my total usage over the 6+ months I've had my car vs the previous 6 months (although seasonal variations and estimated bills prior to getting the car might make that difficult). But I didn't necessarily buy the car because I would save on fuel (although anecdotally I feel like I am). The real savings come with maintenance savings over the ICE vehicle, even without catastrophic issues like a new clutch. Also - I like the idea of doing my little part for the environment, especially as the grid gets cleaner (sorry, Joe Manchin, but this WILL happen). And it's a cool ride....

And @rejedejo in the Northeast typically Supercharger fees are 31 cents per kW, not 25 cents.

Yeah but how do we make electricity again?

Cleaner than before, every year, look it up. Impressive actually, most years in the past 5-10, 80-90% of new power generation is renewable, split between solar and wind. Electricity can be and is being de-carbonized. Burning gasoline can never be de-carbonized.
💯 Tezlab actually shows about 45% renewal vs 55% fossil here in NJ, but again, no one's building new coal plants in the US so....

Reactions: OxBrew

I have charged it and checked my daily electric bill 10 times since posting. They email me every morning my daily usage and I can clearly see how much my bill went up the nights I charge. $3-4 to charge over night for off peak/nighttime.

1643237911786.png

They also have this rate but they admitted that if "someone is home" that it might end up costing more overall due to price during the day.
Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 6.05.02 PM.png