Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High CPO prices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a couple years things should've settled down a bit. Or you can wait for the inevitable CPO dump sometime this year. Which will be around the time my attitude swiches from "wow this car is still worth a lot, I should sell it" to "holy crap this thing has lost value, I should never have bought it"

I'm still hoping for a Model S refresh in June and if I had to guess, I'd bet that we will see a CPO dump before then but who knows...

I'm still hoping for a Model S refresh in June and if I had to guess, I'd bet that we will see a CPO dump before then but who knows...

They're always changing things, but at this point my guess is the next big change will be EAP. There's not a lot of tweaking they can do to the car at this point to make it a whole lot more desirable. Although I am holding out for hipster spec with normal door handles, climate control knobs and crank windows. Maybe a Nurbugring edition with beefed up cooling, flared fenders and 130kwh of battery as a last hoorah for the platform.

In the mean time they've got their hands full with model 3, and model Y coming.. and the semi... and the grid batteries... and full self driving...

The S just had a facelift 2 years ago. My guess is they'll run it out to 2020-2022 and then do a major redesign. It still feels pretty far ahead of anything else. Once Mission E releases then they can take their 2nd shot.

Last edited:
They're always changing things, but at this point my guess is the next big change will be EAP. There's not a lot of tweaking they can do to the car at this point to make it a whole lot more desirable.

In the mean time they've got their hands full with model 3, and model Y coming.. and the semi... and the grid batteries... and full self driving...

The S just had a facelift 2 years ago. My guess is they'll run it out to 2020-2022 and then do a major redesign.

You could be right but it would be surprising if we don't see a Model S refresh this year given that the interior is mostly untouched from 2012. Still it it's interesting to think that 6 years after the Model S came out no other automaker has matches what Tesla accomplished on a shoestring budget.

You could be right but it would be surprising if we don't see a Model S refresh this year given that the interior is mostly untouched from 2012. Still it it's interesting to think that 6 years after the Model S came out no other automaker has matches what Tesla accomplished on a shoestring budget.

I've ridden in a couple 2013's and the Next gen seats are quite a bit different. I kind of miss the old open console and might retrofit back to it someday. Otherwise the biggest thing they could do is maybe a center armrest in the back and some non visible improvements to further reduce squeaks and rattles. But at this point the car is getting a bit old to do that. If it was going ot happen I think they would've done it with the facelift. The thing about extreme minimalism is there really isn't much to upgrade.

I do often remark now that for as futuristic as these cars still feel, they're actually getting pretty old in terms of automotive design. Most platforms last 8-10 years. So it's nearer the end of its run than the beginning.

Yes, given the choice between an overpriced CPO inventory that is playing musical chairs with cars being moved in and out of inventory every few weeks and months along with the Model 3 configuration he wants not being available, it is either:

a) Possibly overpay for a CPO car now
b) Buy an ICE relic or a non Tesla EV that is compromised
c) Wait a bit more for additional Model 3 configurations to be available or CPO prices to be more "normal."

If possible, I would obviously pick option C.

If that is not possible, there is nothing else to discuss and people are I'm sure smart enough to do what they have to do :)
If option C is possible, then obviously you don't need a new car - so valid for those who just want an upgrade, an additional car, or one for their collection.

b) Buy an ICE relic or a non Tesla EV that is compromised
You think you may be a little subjective? ;) Tesla's are great cars, I'm about to take our 4th delivery, but please, there exist other options.

First, there are other EV's which may be great choices for some. If you don't need supercharging, Nissan Leaf 2.0 is a great option, it even has a close equivalent of AP (does most if not all that EAP does today), and it has coat hooks, phone integration, surround view, and other options Tesla owners can only dream about. Similar story on the Bolt.

Second, at $100K budget there are some nice ICE or even hybrid options. You may call them relics, but at that price range you can get some real nice features. That, and in some less common situations, even an S100D just doesn't have the range to be practical.

Third, if your bugdet is limited to say $40K, Tesla is not really a viable option ($35K Model 3 is too far away), but you can get other EV's or a decent ICE car for that.

Last edited:
You have got to be kidding me
Used Inventory | Tesla

In the unlikely event someone actually buys it:

Model S
  • 60 kWh Battery
  • 208 miles range (EPA)
  • 5.9 seconds 0-60 mph
2014 23,655 miles P48746

Located in Chicago
$76,300

This has to be a mistake. The most expensive other 60 is $17k cheaper

I doubt this is any more of a mistake than some 2014 P85Ds I've seen for around $100K!

This is what people talk about when they say that some CPO prices are ridiculously inflated so if you buy one, do your research so you don't get screwed.

If option C is possible, then obviously you don't need a new car - so valid for those who just want an upgrade, an additional car, or one for their collection.

You think you may be a little subjective? ;) Tesla's are great cars, I'm about to take our 4th delivery, but please, there exist other options.

First, there are other EV's which may be great choices for some. If you don't need supercharging, Nissan Leaf 2.0 is a great option, it even has a close equivalent of AP (does most if not all that EAP does today), and it has coat hooks, phone integration, surround view, and other options Tesla owners can only dream about. Similar story on the Bolt.

Second, at $100K budget there are some nice ICE or even hybrid options. You may call them relics, but at that price range you can get some real nice features. That, and in some less common situations, even an S100D just doesn't have the range to be practical.

Third, if your bugdet is limited to say $40K, Tesla is not really a viable option ($35K Model 3 is too far away), but you can get other EV's or a decent ICE car for that.

My budget isn’t $40k... unless I’m buying an ICE (which I don’t want to do so I’m bringing my budget down). The preference is for a Tesla, but this situation seems non-sensical... one would think that if they can’t produce the 3 in big numbers, then they would siphon off some waiters with equivalent priced 2-3 year old Model S. But clearly, I don’t know how they are thinking about this.

My current car is just getting old, and after 2 years of waiting... I’d like my Model 3!

My budget isn’t $40k... unless I’m buying an ICE (which I don’t want to do so I’m bringing my budget down). The preference is for a Tesla, but this situation seems non-sensical... one would think that if they can’t produce the 3 in big numbers, then they would siphon off some waiters with equivalent priced 2-3 year old Model S. But clearly, I don’t know how they are thinking about this.

My current car is just getting old, and after 2 years of waiting... I’d like my Model 3!
The issue you are facing is that there are other people who are willing to pay higher CPO prices. You may think they are overpaying, and others may agree, but it still makes sense to sell the CPO at a higher price. If they had a lot more CPO's, prices would come down, but at this point there is a shortage of CPO's until mid or late June - this is because there will be no new cars delivered in USA in April or May (except for the 138 inventory MS there now, which is nothing compared to regular production volume of few thousand per month).

I noticed by the way that CPO's tend to follow a used car model of pricing it high, then gradually lowering the price until it sells (kind of like a reverse auction). If nobody is willing to pay more than you, then eventually you will get the car you want at your budget, however if someone snags it before it hits your price, Tesla makes more money and you are back to square one. The more CPO's they have, the faster they move prices. At this point the CPO's are limited so I would expect prices to drop slower.

Last edited:
The issue you are facing is that there are other people who are willing to pay higher CPO prices. You may think they are overpaying, and other may agree, but it still makes sense to sell the CPO at a higher price. If they had a lot more CPO's, prices would come down, but at this point there is a shortage of CPO's until mid or late June - this is because there will be no new cars delivered in USA in April or May (except for the 138 inventory MS there now, which is nothing compared to regular production volume of few thousand per month).

I noticed by the way that CPO's tend to follow a used car model of pricing it high, then gradually lowering the price until it sells (kind of like a reverse auction). If nobody is willing to pay more than you, then eventually you will get the car you want at your budget, however if someone snags it before it hits your price, Tesla makes more money and you are back to square one. The more CPO's they have, the faster they move prices. At this point the CPO's are limited so I would expect prices to drop slower.

I agree with this in principle. No one as a right to a certain price. But if Tesla's going to pump the market they should really increase the residual on leases, those should at least somewhat reflect the actual private party market.

I guess you can buy out when you're done if you're aware of this discrepancy. My friend bought out his 2013 after his lease and traded it in to Volvo for 8K more than what he paid Tesla for it.

I agree with this in principle. No one as a right to a certain price. But if Tesla's going to pump the market they should really increase the residual on leases, those should at least somewhat reflect the actual private party market.
  1. Future residuals need to be worst case, as they are into the future. Current trade-in prices are only top limited by CPO prices - as a shrewd business Tesla should give you the least that you'd take.
  2. They just repriced the CPO's to their high point - it doesn't mean they will sell at that price (they will slowly be dropping over time until sold)
  3. With the Model 3 ramp up Tesla is staff limited, so maybe they simply make more money per Model 3 than per CPO (think reconditioning, transportation, and storage costs), so they might want to discourage trade-ins completely, unless there is net same or more money to be made on CPO than brand new Model 3. Hiring and training new staff and building out facilities takes time, so for the moment if they can keep everyone occupied delivering new cars, it may not make financial sense to sell CPO's, so best thing to do is price them such that people will prefer new and offer trade-ins low enough so people prefer to sell them on their own.

I guess you can buy out when you're done if you're aware of this discrepancy. My friend bought out his 2013 after his lease and traded it in to Volvo for 8K more than what he paid Tesla for it.

They will not change residuals because they know the cars are not worth much more than the residuals they have set.

Over the new few years, EVs are going to get substantially better with competing models by Audi, Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc., not to mention Tesla's own impending refresh of the Model S. All the new EVs will make the newer cars more desirable.

The current pricing is just plain absurd when several year old cars are priced at close to what a comparable car would be new.

Anyone looking to buy a CPO car right now at these prices, should be careful wit hhow much you pay.

If the past is any indication, we will see within a few months from now, hundreds of CPO listings with revised pricing grounded in reality

The issue you are facing is that there are other people who are willing to pay higher CPO prices. You may think they are overpaying, and others may agree, but it still makes sense to sell the CPO at a higher price. If they had a lot more CPO's, prices would come down, but at this point there is a shortage of CPO's until mid or late June - this is because there will be no new cars delivered in USA in April or May (except for the 138 inventory MS there now, which is nothing compared to regular production volume of few thousand per month).

Fair points but as P85Dave pointed out— they have absurd prices on many of these that aren’t based in reality. Who pays more for a used car than a new one? These aren’t collectors items.... ok, well, maybe the green one is

Reactions: Electricious
Fair points but as P85Dave pointed out— they have absurd prices on many of these that aren’t based in reality. Who pays more for a used car than a new one? These aren’t collectors items.... ok, well, maybe the green one is
As long as there are people willing to pay those "absurd" prices, Tesla will keep pricing the CPO's at those prices. I just looked at vroom.com and only 8 Tesla's show up and all sale pending, even a 2013 P85 selling for $50K, so there is good demand. Vroom tends to price all their cars to move fast by the way, and they don't include CPO warranty.

As long as there are people willing to pay those "absurd" prices, Tesla will keep pricing the CPO's at those prices. I just looked at vroom.com and only 8 Tesla's show up and all sale pending, even a 2013 P85 selling for $50K, so there is good demand. Vroom tends to price all their cars to move fast by the way, and they don't include CPO warranty.

Yep, can’t argue with the market but I can avoid (what I consider to be) over-paying.