Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Demand and Price Gouging on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took deliver last Saturday on July order. Paid Tesla $60,710 including tax, fees, and $1500 EV rebate. Flipped my BMW lease and then calculated my actual OOP cost... $54,804. This doesn't factor in the $4K price increase and $150 order deposit increase. I feel blessed I ordered when I did and lucky I got delivery before EV rebate cut.

TSLY...couldn't agree with you more. I wanted to surprise my wife this past summer with a red MY, but always want to avoid financing (retired and like staying debt free). I was going to be short on cash so decided to sell my black 2016 Jeep Wrangler JK (used only for hunting and fishing). Granted it had slightly less than 9,000 miles and was in spectacular shape (babied every day). When a Toyota dealer offered me $1700 more than I originally paid for it 4 years ago....time to wish that Wrangler goodbye (not to mention the 18 MPG).

I put in my cybertruck order this summer, but with production starting late 2022, I am guessing my number may be more like 2024-2025. Too long for this old guy. Decided to order a black MYP next summer….if the prices return back to some degree of normalcy…..Plus getting free electricity on nights, makes going all electric a no brainer. I hope the market will settle down by then.

Reactions: TSLY
TSLY...couldn't agree with you more. I wanted to surprise my wife this past summer with a red MY, but always want to avoid financing (retired and like staying debt free). I was going to be short on cash so decided to sell my black 2016 Jeep Wrangler JK (used only for hunting and fishing). Granted it had slightly less than 9,000 miles and was in spectacular shape (babied every day). When a Toyota dealer offered me $1700 more than I originally paid for it 4 years ago....time to wish that Wrangler goodbye (not to mention the 18 MPG).

I put in my cybertruck order this summer, but with production starting late 2022, I am guessing my number may be more like 2024-2025. Too long for this old guy. Decided to order a black MYP next summer….if the prices return back to some degree of normalcy…..Plus getting free electricity on nights, makes going all electric a no brainer. I hope the market will settle down by then.
Wranglers are the lowest depreciation vehicle in the US, it's been that way for quite some time now.

I know this thread is really old but yes, they're smoking crack. Why would I ever pay you that much for a '21 with 14k miles when I can get a brand new '22 (possibly '23 depending on when it's delivered) for like $7k less...are people really this dumb? These price gouging dealers don't realize that they are gonna leave a source taste in folks mouths. This market won't stay like this forever.
15377766-F4AC-464F-9509-729224AA9E9B.jpeg

I, like many folks on this forum, have ordered a Model Y over 3 months ago and have seen my EDD date slip 3 times already. Today, I went out to www.edmunds.com to look at Tesla Model Ys and noticed about 30 cars with less than 500 miles. I then noticed about 12 MY that seemed to have gone from Tesla Delivery straight to the dealership and selling for $10k over buying the car directly from Tesla. What is interesting about this is that dealerships seem to have a couple of cars that are practically new and are selling for used. Thus, not only are they getting you on the price of the car, they are charging you a higher interest rate if you finance. Meanwhile, there are folks in this forum that have placed their orders in June and have not received their VINs yet. This is obviously not Tesla's fault. The greedy dealerships

I am reaching out to everyone on this board to see if there is any course of action that we can take to report this issue.

WOW 😲 greedy 🤬 dealers !

I know this thread is really old but yes, they're smoking crack. Why would I ever pay you that much for a '21 with 14k miles when I can get a brand new '22 (possibly '23 depending on when it's delivered) for like $7k less...are people really this dumb? These price gouging dealers don't realize that they are gonna leave a source taste in folks mouths. This market won't stay like this forever.View attachment 777021
Unfortunately there probably will be a chip shortage for the foreseeable future and could get worse.

Unfortunately there probably will be a chip shortage for the foreseeable future and could get worse.

Yes...this does not bode well for untangling already tangled up supply chains.

Simple principles of supply and demand. When is the last time you had to wait 6 months for anything? I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see at least one more $1000 price increase by Tesla for the Y in the next few months. I just can't believe I am driving around in a car that is currently appreciating in value, LOL! First time for everything I guess.

With that said, I think the used car market for the Y will stay strong for at least a handful of years with people wanting to get into it at ~$35000 range. I plan to sell mine in a couple of years after it's paid off for a 2025 version. Should provide a nice down payment on the new one! ;)
FWIW, a 2017 Prius with ~40k mi is currently selling for what it cost me years ago.

This isn't Tesla specific by any means. I thought about selling my MY too, but making a couple thousand and being down a car for 1/2 year isn't worth it to me.

I know this thread is really old but yes, they're smoking crack. Why would I ever pay you that much for a '21 with 14k miles when I can get a brand new '22 (possibly '23 depending on when it's delivered) for like $7k less...are people really this dumb? These price gouging dealers don't realize that they are gonna leave a source taste in folks mouths. This market won't stay like this forever.View attachment 777021
Did it have 7 seats? FSD?

This isn't Tesla specific by any means. I thought about selling my MY too, but making a couple thousand and being down a car for 1/2 year isn't worth it to me.
The reverse is also true... someone who really needs a car, and can afford it, is willing to pay full retail price on a used Tesla, with a few thousand miles and last years model, in order to have it now, and not have to wait 3, 4, 5 months.

When I took my MY to get clear bra'd, the owner of the Wrap company pointed out another clients car, a used Model X he had just wrapped, and told me that the customer had just purchased it, a 2021 model with around 6,000 miles. The guy paid very close to what a brand new Model X would have cost, but he simply didn't want to wait, or perhaps he simply couldn't wait.

Moderator Note: 15 posts moved to Politics - Quarantine Thread. Politics are forbidden here unless they directly relate to EV legislation. Politics as a team sport are definitely not permitted. Future political posts by the same members will result in account action, unfortunately.

As I've said many times before, you're not changing someone else's political ideology on the Tesla Motor Club Forum. So maybe save it for some other environment.

Thanks for understanding.