Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High EMF readings from passenger side along doors and bottom mat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheWalkingDad

Cybertruck 23' or bust.
Oct 30, 2018
Maryland
Just out of curiosity I took a trifield meter and did a reading from the mat to my surprise it was pegged beyond 100 milligauss. The seat was around ~20. The drivers side was fine (3-4 mg). I'm not sensitive to EMF but just thought it strange Tesla hasn't shielded this right side. I'm thinking its the cable linking the 12V batt to the inverter in the back of the vehicle?

Anyone have a similar experience?

wPIYSrO.jpg

https://www.who.int/peh-emf/publications/facts/fs296/en/

“Studies on EHS individuals
A number of studies have been conducted where EHS individuals were exposed to EMF similar to those that they attributed to the cause of their symptoms. The aim was to elicit symptoms under controlled laboratory conditions.

The majority of studies indicate that EHS individuals cannot detect EMF exposure any more accurately than non-EHS individuals. Well controlled and conducted double-blind studies have shown that symptoms were not correlated with EMF exposure.

It has been suggested that symptoms experienced by some EHS individuals might arise from environmental factors unrelated to EMF. Examples may include “flicker” from fluorescent lights, glare and other visual problems with VDUs, and poor ergonomic design of computer workstations. Other factors that may play a role include poor indoor air quality or stress in the workplace or living environment.

There are also some indications that these symptoms may be due to pre-existing psychiatric conditions as well as stress reactions as a result of worrying about EMF health effects, rather than the EMF exposure itself.”

@miketc How do you zero that meter? DC magnetic fields (like AC) are harmless.You should get 200mG or so hoizontal just from the Earth's field. (500mG total at your location)

You also can't shield magetic fields without adding steel or mu metal. Running dedicated return lines with the power feed does cut the field significantly, but everyone uses the car body instead. A car's defroster power feed is worse not to mention the cabin fan on high.

The speakers will be high too.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors and pk44FG
I'm not sensitive to EMF but just thought it strange Tesla hasn't shielded this right side.
I’m glad you are not sensitive to EMG. Neither is anyone else.

At ArsTechnica: Woman who sleeps in $500 EMF-blocking sack wants area-wide Wi-Fi limits

Quote from that article: “...there is no evidence to support the idea of "electromagnetic hypersensitivity." The World Health Organization calls it "idiopathic environmental intolerance with attribution to electromagnetic fields," or IEI-EMF. Dozens of studies have found that people who claim to be sensitive to the non-ionizing radiation from mobile phones and Wi-Fi are unable to determine when they've actually been exposed.”

Just out of curiosity I took a trifield meter and did a reading from the mat to my surprise it was pegged beyond 100 milligauss. The seat was around ~20. The drivers side was fine (3-4 mg). I'm not sensitive to EMF but just thought it strange Tesla hasn't shielded this right side. I'm thinking its the cable linking the 12V batt to the inverter in the back of the vehicle?

Anyone have a similar experience?

wPIYSrO.jpg

you get that high a reading in any car if you place the meter near the center console.