Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High end Model 3 vs base Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure there has been some comparison thread already, but I would like to compare the features as well the cost of the two. I know this is not exactly apples to apples, but hopefully this will help people decide which to get.

Base Model S S75
$71K without Autopilot
$76K with Autopilot

High End Model 3:
$49K without Autopilot
$54K with Autopilot
(long range + 9K)
(premium + 5K)

Same features:
1) Autopilot If purchased
2) 4 years/50K miles car warranty
3) power seat, heated seat, power fold mirrors, etc (most of the stuff in premium package in model 3 are standard in model S)

Feature less than Model 3:
1) Range: 259 miles compared to 310 miles
2) Probably more expensive to maintain the Model S compared to the Model 3.

Features over Model 3:
1) Air Suspension
2) Power Liftgate
3) Free unlimited supercharging with referral until 2018 or 400KWh free annually
4) larger car (more interior space)
5) Self-presenting door handle
6) interior lighting
7) 4.3 sec to 60mph
8) Free courtesy rental during servicing
9) 8 years/unlimited miles warranty on battery and drivetrain
10) can get in typically in 30 days
11) dash display
12) 17 inch screen vs 15 inch screen
13) Premium seats/interior materials.

Let's take the autopilot version numbers and compare:
$76K for Model S75
$54K for Model 3 long range premium version

So you are looking at $22K difference if you are willing to forgo 51 miles of range. However the Model S might be able to get free unlimited supercharging. Over the life of the car, I estimate around $3K of fuel cost for all those road trips.

So it's really:
$73K for Model S75
Or $19K price difference.

So you have to ask yourself if the $19K is really worth the features over the Model 3 and giving up 51 range.

Here are the things the Model S can be configured with which the Model does not have:
1) Premium package in Model S (adds bio-defense mode)
2) Sun-roof
3) Rear facing seats
4) For now AWD (you have to wait until late 2018 before you can get AWD model 3)

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
I am sure there has been some comparison thread already, but I would like to compare the features as well the cost of the two. I know this is not exactly apples to apples, but hopefully this will help people decide which to get.

Base Model S S75
$71K without Autopilot
$76K with Autopilot

High End Model 3:
$49K without Autopilot
$54K with Autopilot
(long range + 9K)
(premium + 5K)

Same features:
1) Autopilot If purchased
2) 4 years/50K miles car warranty
3) power seat, heated seat, power fold mirrors, etc (most of the stuff in premium package in model 3 are standard in model S)

Feature less than Model 3:
1) Range: 259 miles compared to 310 miles
2) Probably more expensive to maintain the Model S compared to the Model 3.

Features over Model 3:
1) Air Suspension
2) Power Liftgate
3) Free unlimited supercharging with referral until 2018 or 400KWh free annually
6) interior lighting
7) 4.3 sec to 60mph
11) dash display

Let's take the autopilot version numbers and compare:
$76K for Model S75

So you are looking at $22K difference if you are willing to forgo 51 miles of range. However the Model S might be able to get free unlimited supercharging. Over the life of the car, I estimate around $3K of fuel cost for all those road trips.

So it's really:
$73K for Model S75
Or $19K price difference.

So you have to ask yourself if the $19K is really worth the features over the Model 3 and giving up 51 range.

Here are the things the Model S can be configured with which the Model does not have:
2) Sun-roof
3) Rear facing seats
4) For now AWD (you have to wait until late 2018 before you can get AWD model 3)
And the wait for an M3 may miss out some of the federal tax credit.

And the wait for an M3 may miss out some of the federal tax credit.
I didn't factor that in because you can probably get the full tax credit if you placed your reservation way back and OK with the RWD model. Also we really don't know the cost of the AWD right now.

If you op for the AWD version, then you might be sacrificing another $3.75K and some ownership time.

So assuming the AWD adds another $5K to the model 3's cost, the comparison is $15,250 and 1 year of driving vs the $19K and 1/2 wait.

The interior dimensions are only slightly smaller than the Model S. Cargo Capacity is about half. Headroom is actually more in the Model 3.

Headroom (front)
Model 3 - 39.6 inches
Modeli S - 38.8 inches

Headroom (rear)
Model 3 - 37.7 inches
Model S - 35.3 inches

Cargo volume
Model 3 - 15.0 cubic feet
Model S - 31.6 cubic feet

The Verge posted a nice chart, also comparing with the Bolt.
How the Tesla Model 3 compares to the Model S and Chevy Bolt

Reactions: ancreserve
Mercury Insurance, clean driving record + multi-vehicle + multi-policy discount.
We pay about $1,300 per year for our Model S in Atlanta. Our BMW i3 is actually about $1450 per year, which doesn't make any sense why it's more since it's a lot cheaper.

I imagine the Model 3 will be cheaper to insure since the chassis is is mostly steel with only aluminum hang on parts like the doors and hood.

I'm looking at exactly this choice, since I'm looking to trade my 2013 S for a car with autopilot and I have a day 1 reservation for a 3. I've been saying for the last few months I'd either get the 3 or a new S, and now the time for the decision has come. For me the bottom line is that I'd prefer to get the extra range, and once you're looking at the 100D the price difference is almost double (after tax credit).

As for the other things:

1) Air Suspension
I need it in the S to avoid scraping in my driveway because the front overhang is so long. I'm assuming the 3 will be fine.

2) Power Liftgate
Nice, but not a big deal.

I use very little supercharging. Besides my commute I do mostly weekend driving where I take back roads and do the roundtrip on a single charge (which is why I care more about the range).

Passenger space I'll be fine with. Not sure I'll be able to do camping in the 3 like I do in the S, but we often bring my wife's SUV anyway. Mostly I'd prefer a smaller car (the S is way bigger than any car I've owned previously). I drive a mountain highway on my commute, so handling is important. So far the 3 sounds promising.

No big deal.

6) interior lighting
Don't care.

7) 4.3 sec to 60mph
The large battery 3 is at least as fast as my old S, which I feel is plenty fast enough.

I haven't hear anything about this, but even if true I've saved a lot of money up front, so not really a valid concern. I rarely have gotten a Tesla loaner anyway.

I'm not going to drive anywhere close to 120K miles in 8 years.

I'm only looking at 3-6 months for a 3, I can wait.

11) dash display
I think I'll be fine with this. I find myself glancing at the map in the center more than the display in front of me anyway.

I'm a little concerned about the presentation of all the information, especially media info along with the map and speed, etc. I'll see.

I think I'll be fine with the 3 stuff.

I probably wouldn't order the premium package in the S anyway.

2) Sun-roof
Don't have it in my current S, probably would just go for the glass roof anyway.

3) Rear facing seats
No need.

I was planning on getting AWD, but now might go without. The main reason is for going skiing, but again we mostly take my wife's SUV anyway.

You forgot the key fob. I'm not sure about the whole phone/key card thing. I want to see how well it works.

[QUOTE="You forgot the key fob. I'm not sure about the whole phone/key card thing. I want to see how well it works.[/QUOTE]

I actually would have paid extra for the key fob. Not for functionality, I just think it looks cool. As far as using the phone it seems to work really well when I test drove the S. The Tesla employee who came along didn't have the key fob, he controlled everything on his phone and even showed us the summoning feature.

As far as using the phone it seems to work really well when I test drove the S. The Tesla employee who came along didn't have the key fob, he controlled everything on his phone and even showed us the summoning feature.

It works really well on the S if you have good cell connection. Bottom floor of an underground garage or out at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere on an interstate, not so much.

My success rate with the app at work is way less than 50% because the car uses at&t and they dont have good coverage at my office.

However the 3 is supposed to use BT which is a different animal. As long as it doesn't require Tesla server authentication each time, it should work better.

It works really well on the S if you have good cell connection. Bottom floor of an underground garage or out at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere on an interstate, not so much.

My success rate with the app at work is way less than 50% because the car uses at&t and they dont have good coverage at my office.

However the 3 is supposed to use BT which is a different animal. As long as it doesn't require Tesla server authentication each time, it should work better.
I totally didn't realize that it was dependent on cell coverage. We were outside so the cell connection was probably strong. I think BT should be a good solution. I hate carrying things so I am okay with the key card. I always have my wallet and cellphone wherever I go.

From watching the Model 3 event, I got the feeling that Tesla didn't really want to promote the 3. It's really hard to justify paying twice as much for a Model S given how good the Model 3 is.

At the same price I'd rather have the Model 3.

I wish the model 3 were a hatchback that favored cargo at the cost of rear passenger space (same design as Model S but smaller eats into space for cargo and passengers).

But trunk vs hatch isn't a deal breaker for me.

I'd still rather have the smaller Model 3 vs a larger Model S even if the features and price were equal other than passenger space/cargo space.