Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High end Model 3 vs base Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the same price I'd rather have the Model 3.

I wish the model 3 were a hatchback that favored cargo at the cost of rear passenger space (same design as Model S but smaller eats into space for cargo and passengers).

But trunk vs hatch isn't a deal breaker for me.

I'd still rather have the smaller Model 3 vs a larger Model S even if the features and price were equal other than passenger space/cargo space.
If this picture is accurate, it should solve most people's cargo problems.

2017-07-31.png

I will go a step further and say that features like automated door handles have negative value, therefore not having them is an asset, not a drawback.

It doesn't make any sense to buy a model s right now. Most likely an upgrade is coming (which I doubt considering how busy they are with the model 3), or a significant price cut is coming. I suspect the later. Maybe tesla will discontinue the S75 and provide the 100kw battery at the same price as the 75D.

If this picture is accurate, it should solve most people's cargo problems.

I'm not talking about a person, I'm talking about bulky hard objects like a dresser or a big screen TV in a box. With a hatch you can get almost anything in, with a trunk it has to fit inside the opening (which is almost always significantly smaller than the actual storage space). Short of teleportation there is no way to get the largest possible item in the storage space of a car with a trunk + fold down rear seating that you could get inside the same space if there were a full sized hatch instead.

I'm not talking about a person, I'm talking about bulky hard objects like a dresser or a big screen TV in a box. With a hatch you can get almost anything in, with a trunk it has to fit inside the opening (which is almost always smaller than the actual storage space). Short of teleportation there is no way to get the largest possible item in the storage space of a car with a trunk + fold down rear seating that you could get inside the same space if there were a full sized hatch instead.
How often are you buying dressers? TVs should easily fit.

I went through this little exercise after the reveal due to learning when the AWD might be available. I didn't order on Day 1, but day 3 (had to convince the wife), and I specifically want AWD, which per My Tesla is not until Oct-Dec 2018.

My thought process went like this. I suspect that the full federal tax rebate will be used up by then (it might still be in the $3750 range, or at least the $1875 amount.) Taking that into account, and the fact that Colorado has an additional 5k currently, going the Model S route has a $12.5k incentive right now vs. a "who knows what will be available in Oct - Dec 2018" amount. (Maybe $0, maybe $1875, or $3750, or $6875, or even $8750.) Since that is too far in the future to know, I will assume $0, and anything available is just gravy.

Of course, even with the current $12.5k incentive, the S AWD is still quite a bit more ($80.5k with EAP and blue paint). than what I could get in Feb-Mar 18 if I settled for an RWD, which I won't, so it doesn't really factor in. (Even though I am suspect the same $12.5k incentive would be available then.) However, I never planned a RWD model 3, or on the bigger battery, as I was/am happy with 215-220 range, so spending $9k on something I didn't want/need would just eat into that incentive on a vehicle I didn't want. So, still focusing on the AWD model 3.

So finally, assuming the base $35k model 3, AWD costing 5k (like the S, even though I believe Elon indicated it would be cheaper per a tweet), 5k for premium, $1.5k for wheels, and $1k for paint, that comes to $47.5k, which is $33k less than the AWD Model S before incentives. With incentives, it is still $20.5k more for the S, and that assumes there are NO Federal or State incentives when I am ready to buy. That is a LOT of money.

What would be interesting is if Tesla brought back a 60D (or whatever they called it since they seem to be moving away from battery size labeling) in the Low / Mid 60's, as a way to reduce some of the Model 3 pre-orders. That would maybe make the difference of approx. $10k, which is still a lot of money, but more palatable when you consider the differences between the S and 3.

Sorry, that was long....

who knows what will be available in Oct - Dec 2018" amount. ... I will assume $0

Hi. The deadlines for Tesla will be determined by the end of this year. There are only two possible scenarios. A third option is not possible. For more info, click here.

Optimistic Scenario
$7,500 for deliveries until Jun 30, 2018
$3,750 for deliveries until Dec 31, 2018
$1,875 for deliveries until Jun 30, 2019

Pessimistic Scenario
$7,500 for deliveries until Mar 31, 2018
$3,750 for deliveries until Sep 30, 2018
$1,875 for deliveries until Mar 31, 2019

What would be interesting is if Tesla brought back a 60D ...
This is not going to happen. See my message here from a few months ago.

Hi. The deadlines for Tesla will be determined by the end of this year. There are only two possible scenarios. A third option is not possible. For more info, click here.

Optimistic Scenario
$7,500 for deliveries until Jun 30, 2018
$3,750 for deliveries until Dec 31, 2018
$1,875 for deliveries until Jun 30, 2019

Pessimistic Scenario
$7,500 for deliveries until Mar 31, 2018
$3,750 for deliveries until Sep 30, 2018
$1,875 for deliveries until Mar 31, 2019
Math, sales, and sales projections, and model 3 ramp up expectations do not support the pessimistic scenario at all right now.

Most likely an upgrade is coming (which I doubt considering how busy they are with the model 3), or a significant price cut is coming. I suspect the later.

Last Tuesday, a Tesla sales rep told me that Tesla wants to protect the price point on the Model S, but will include former "options" as "standard", as cost of production comes down. I think we're already seeing this to some extent.