Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Fidelity sound system new Model S - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully even the hijacks are useful to the OP. Hyperbole is almost a matter of course when it comes to audio. :) I can say that the other car in the household is a Soul EV and the UHFS is substantially better than the Kia, so if you have a car with worse sound it might have something wrong.

Reactions: cybergates
I hear you. That said, I upgraded my base system with the Light Harmonic speakers + NVX subwoofer. Dramatic difference. I can't say how it compares to the UHFS, but the sound is substantially than the base system.

How did you get the NVX Subwoofer installed? The LH speakers are easy enough to install, but I don't know you would wire up the Subwoofer.

Just to point out for others. The LH speakers are definitely better in the high volume range. It's clearer compared to the Stock even after the SW sound upgrades. The Stock Speakers are good up to maybe volume level 3. But anything higher than that, it gets progressively bad. The words in the songs are harder to make out at anything higher than 6 on the stock Speakers. But with the LH speaker replacement, I am able to make out he words easily. Even talk radio sounds clear and better at highway speeds. Bass is still lacking compared to the UHFS option, but hopefully either the NVX Subwoofer or the LH subwoofer upgrade will alleviate this problem. Overall if you listen listen to music at volume 3 or lower, I would stick with the stock OEM speakers. But if you like to pump it up to more than 3 either on highways or just by itself, definitely upgrade to the LH speakers if you are coming from the base speaker system.

How did you get the NVX Subwoofer installed? The LH speakers are easy enough to install, but I don't know you would wire up the Subwoofer.
I had a professional installer do both the LH speakers and the NVX sub/amp. The shop did a great job with both installs and prices were very reasonable. There are a number of YouTube videos outlining the NVX install process, if you're comfortable doing the work yourself. I was not. :) You can also contact NVX. They have a number of recommended installers.

I um, stalked - I mean, sauntered, by a Tesla showroom and somehow wandered in, and casually asked “Allyson” what the differences were between the UHF and non-UHF. Before I could even say anything more, she dashed into the back office, came running out with two sets of key fobs, and then steered me towards where all the test drive vehicles were parked. Pairing my phone, as well as using Slacker radio, we sat for a few minutes in both versions, just listening to the same songs on both audio systems. A. WORLD. OF. DIFFERENCE.

Even to my untrained, non-audiophile ears. Spring for the Ultra High Fi, and if you can’t bring yourself to do that, save up for a high end audio system that you really, really want. This car deserves it, and nothing less.

I also got to check out the panorama, all-glass, non-sunroof, roof, which I LOVED, as well as the perforated seats, which I was indifferent to.
We found out the hard way that ordering the all-glass roof removes the satellite radio from the UHFS. There was no mention of that when I picked all-glass roof on website. I was also stupid thinking the all-glass roof was like the panorama sunroof in my E550 - when we got home, was wondering how to open sunroof. Doh! Didn't realize the sunroof option had glass in the rear as I would have ordered that instead.

IMHO, the UHFS system sounds amazing.

I am hoping the UHFS sounds great as suggested. I am shocked the system won't allow me to connect an iphone through USB and play music like I have on ICE cars going back more than eight years. I see the upgrades owners have done to their stock systems. Has anyone found a need to upgrade speakers on the UHFS?

Agree - I was in disbelief when I couldn't connect and control my iPod through the UHFS. I heard it is supported via Bluetooth, but I ended up copying music to a USB flash drive. However, the music streaming Tesla provides is pretty cool and has really good music.

FWIW, I tried both the standard and UHFS systems back to back at the showroom this week before finalizing my MS 100D using music files I brought to the showroom on a usb drive. The UHFS sounded sufficiently better to me that I ordered it. Tighter bass, clearer and cleaner mid and highs. I am 65 with higher end home audio system and with ears still working generally ok!

FWIW, I tried both the standard and UHFS systems back to back at the showroom this week before finalizing my MS 100D using music files I brought to the showroom on a usb drive. The UHFS sounded sufficiently better to me that I ordered it. Tighter bass, clearer and cleaner mid and highs. I am 65 with higher end home audio system and with ears still working generally ok!

I did the same thing you did, using the music on my iPhone and I agree with you. I ended up ordering the UHFS too.

Last edited:
Audio is pretty important to me but I think UHFS is not worth it. It's not as good as Harmon Kardon in BMW. Honestly it's wroth 500 bucks at most. At 2.5k it's a total ripoff. The base system on the Model S sounds OK, but just has no bass due to lack of sub. Definitely better than the base BMW sound, which sounds like crap. Honestly the UHFS just adds a sub and not a very good one at that...

The reason the uhfs sounds better than the base sound is because the 2 front speakers are slightly better. But overall still pretty crappy. Most replace them with something else.

IMO, the only reason to get the uhfs is because you are lazy and don't want to replace the base speaker yourself and you are OK with the sound. But if you want better sound save the money and go with after market sound.

I am not promoting LH system but once they break in, they really shine at higher than volume 3 on tesla's control. Sound is crisp throughout and even with the subwoofer base is good. Once you add the subwoofer then you got yourself a pretty decent sound system definitely better than the uhfs.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Hi,

First time potential Tesla buyer - wondering if the High Fidelity sound system new Model S - worth it? I'm coming from previous cars such as a BMW 3 series with the harmon kardman sound system and the infiniti g35 with bose speakers. I don't care about XM necessarily. I'm not some nut audiophile but I don't want a sound system that sounds like a honda accord either.

Any thoughts?

I did not get the High Fidelity sound system. I found adjusting the equalizer settings help enough for me to be happy with the sound. The lack of a High Fidelity sound system bothered me so much, I bought my second one without one as well. Just today, a coworker (w/ Model 3 reservation) asked if I had UHF, and I told him now. He decided he was going to be ok without it.

With that said, some get it and still do not find it sufficient, YMMV

The reason the uhfs sounds better than the base sound is because the 2 front speakers are slightly better. But overall still pretty crappy. Most replace them with something else.

IMO, the only reason to get the uhfs is because you are lazy and don't want to replace the base speaker yourself and you are OK with the sound. But if you want better sound save the money and go with after market sound.

I am not promoting LH system but once they break in, they really shine at higher than volume 3 on tesla's control. Sound is crisp throughout and even with the subwoofer base is good. Once you add the subwoofer then you got yourself a pretty decent sound system definitely better than the uhfs.

Yeah, I have to admit, I’m pretty lazy, and I’m also apprehensive about even the most competent and meticulous auto audio installers tearing into my brand new car.

Somewhat off topic. So my iPhone is tethered to iTunes on my iMac desktop. Would I necessarily get as good or better audio quality from burning all my favourite songs from my desktop to a USB memory stick, as I would playing my songs via bluetooth from my iPhone?

Somewhat off topic. So my iPhone is tethered to iTunes on my iMac desktop. Would I necessarily get as good or better audio quality from burning all my favourite songs from my desktop to a USB memory stick, as I would playing my songs via bluetooth from my iPhone?
Just a bit. The Bluetooth compression is noticeable. However for most people it will be a challenge to notice the quality loss, particularly when you're moving.

Reactions: avesraggiana
I wish I'd bought the UHFS.

Aftermarket systems do offer more bang for the buck, but installation is an issue - I'm slightly worried about non Tesla certified shops working on the car.

I thought the Light Harmonic system looked good, but the threads I've read here seem to suggest some reliability issues? Heard nothing but good things about the NVX sub around this forum though.

I have two Tesla's one with the upgraded sound and one without. I adjusted the equalizers to the same settings on both cars and played the same songs off my iPhone. I could tell a little difference on some songs, but most of the time I was hard pressed to hear a difference. I'm trading in the one with the upgraded sound for a S100D. I did not order it with the upgraded sound. I did order every other option except the 3rd row child seats.