Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Fidelity sound system new Model S - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I'd bought the UHFS.

Aftermarket systems do offer more bang for the buck, but installation is an issue - I'm slightly worried about non Tesla certified shops working on the car.

I thought the Light Harmonic system looked good, but the threads I've read here seem to suggest some reliability issues? Heard nothing but good things about the NVX sub around this forum though.

The LH reliability issue is with their amps. I just got their speakers and did a swap. So it is using the old tesla's amp. This is not ideal but it should be close enough. The old speakers are 2ohms and the LH is 1 ohms. So there is a mismatch but it should be small enough it should all that matter.

• Informative
Reactions: OBX John
I think the UHFS sounds fine, even on Bluetooth to my iPhone. It definitely sounds better with USB music, even recorded as AAC files transferred easily from iTunes. I would note that some recordings I have tried do sound muddled but since other recordings almost universally sound crisp, vibrant and in my opinion very nice, I chalk that up to a bad recording rather than a system flaw. I do wish the system would play direct from the phone while plugged into the dock (lightning port to USB) as that is always a better sound than Bluetooth. Seems like a simple software fix if they cared about their users.

Reactions: avesraggiana
I think the UHFS sounds fine, even on Bluetooth to my iPhone. It definitely sounds better with USB music, even recorded as AAC files transferred easily from iTunes. I would note that some recordings I have tried do sound muddled but since other recordings almost universally sound crisp, vibrant and in my opinion very nice, I chalk that up to a bad recording rather than a system flaw. I do wish the system would play direct from the phone while plugged into the dock (lightning port to USB) as that is always a better sound than Bluetooth. Seems like a simple software fix if they cared about their users.

Prompted by your post, I’ve just filled a USB with a few hundred of my favourite songs. Now I’ve cooked up another reason to ask to drive my dad’s Tesla - to check out the audio quality coming from a USB!

Oh, my gosh! It’s several hours later, and you’re right! The same music sounds noticeably better on a USB stick. Better how, I can’t quite put my finger on. Just, I don’t know - fuller, clearer, brighter? There is a definite difference. Thanks for the tip, I would have never known this had you not said anything.

Oh, my gosh! It’s several hours later, and you’re right! The same music sounds noticeably better on a USB stick. Better how, I can’t quite put my finger on. Just, I don’t know - fuller, clearer, brighter? There is a definite difference. Thanks for the tip, I would have never known this had you not said anything.

Buy a mini usb (SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-064G-B35) from Amazon. It does not stick out like a memory stick and is "fast" and was a whopping $18 for 64 GB with free shipping on Amazon Prime. I got the idea from others on both boards so not really my idea. Glad your dad is loving the car but hopefully you get to enjoy it too.

• Informative
Buy a mini usb (SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-064G-B35) from Amazon. It does not stick out like a memory stick and is "fast" and was a whopping $18 for 64 GB with free shipping on Amazon Prime. I got the idea from others on both boards so not really my idea. Glad your dad is loving the car but hopefully you get to enjoy it too.

Found it. Thanks for another great tip!

Bluetooth applies lossy compression to the audio signal. When that compression is applied to a source like mp3 that's already been compressed the results aren't pretty. Put direct CD rips or FLACs on your USB - or better yet 24 bit high-def FLACs - and you will be blown away by the sound.

• Informative
I just added a JL Audio PowerWedge+ (Model Number ACS110LG-TW1) to my standard audio system and it's a giant improvement over stock for not that much money. Also, the box fits perfectly in the trunk well and is ported to the side, so the sound comes up through the space between the trunk well and the side trunk pocket.

so i didn't get the premium sound - overall happy tho - even the base system is better than a "honda" so I'm happy
So having just placed my order for a new MS 75D, my first Tesla, I have had the same dilemma as many of you. But now the UHFS is packaged in with the winter pack and the upgraded HVAC system, cost £4700. So whilst I have always upgraded audio in my cars, this cost is too great and will have to go with std.

How are you feeling about the audio now Cybergates. Your last post was a bit of comfort for me. Just got to wait 2-3 months now.....

So having just placed my order for a new MS 75D, my first Tesla, I have had the same dilemma as many of you. But now the UHFS is packaged in with the winter pack and the upgraded HVAC system, cost £4700. So whilst I have always upgraded audio in my cars, this cost is too great and will have to go with std.

How are you feeling about the audio now Cybergates. Your last post was a bit of comfort for me. Just got to wait 2-3 months now.....

Hi there - def enjoying my car. The basic sound system is definitely better than a honda or acura base system. Sometimes i do wish i had the upgraded system but its not a biggie (better base w the subwoofer). Otherwise most stuff sounds totally fine. Overall i opted for the premium upgrade and AWD instead of premium sound and happy with my decision. In my IS, the lexus mark levinson system is definitely better than tesla basic system.

Sounds like a Light Harmonic or NXD? upgrade might be something to consider in the future. I kinda hate to have to car taken apart so new so will probably wait on this. Not a showstopper by any means. An ideal upgrade would be if the built in eq on the touch screen can be enabled w any of these 3rd party sound systems- is that possible?

Lets put it this way - there are always ways to upgrade the sound system. however it would be impossible to add all wheel drive or premium upgrades.