Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

3YMimi73

❤️ ‘21 M3LR ‘23 MYLR ‘24 MYLR ❤️
Mar 26, 2022
Fingerlakes Region NY
I noticed this noise coming from the center-armrest area of the car today. It’s a high frequency sound and it’s definitely annoying at times. It’s when I’m driving is when I hear it. My husband is partially HOH so he definitely can’t hear it and thinks I’m making it up.
I have to turn the music up loud enough to drown it out. Is this something of concern and should I schedule a service appointment? My 21 M3 doesn’t make this noise, so I don’t know if it’s a MY thing.

• Informative
Reactions: doc5339
oghowie: punctuation matters. "There's supposed to be no sound" with a question mark, or a period, or an exclamation point????

(I would agree that "there's supposed to be no sound", but I wouldn't attempt to offer WHERE the sound is coming from, or WHAT is causing it.)

I noticed this noise coming from the center-armrest area of the car today. It’s a high frequency sound and it’s definitely annoying at times. It’s when I’m driving is when I hear it. My husband is partially HOH so he definitely can’t hear it and thinks I’m making it up.
I have to turn the music up loud enough to drown it out. Is this something of concern and should I schedule a service appointment? My 21 M3 doesn’t make this noise, so I don’t know if it’s a MY thing.
Search the forums for posts regarding missing "battery penthouse perimeter seal." In the past some vehicles have been delivered without this seal installed, hence the high frequency whine coming from the rear of the Model Y. Tesla Service may claim nothing is wrong, make them check to be sure that the seal is there.

oghowie: punctuation matters. "There's supposed to be no sound" with a question mark, or a period, or an exclamation point????

(I would agree that "there's supposed to be no sound", but I wouldn't attempt to offer WHERE the sound is coming from, or WHAT is causing it.)
There is definite motor noise when accelerating and engine braking in my 22 MYP. Thought these were all normal things since you can barely hear them if music is on. I guess this is not normal based on some of these comments?

Reactions: 3YMimi73
OP: Can you provide an audio recording?

From your description, I'd say it isn't normal.
HAHA! I've never driven on my laptop! You're right, it sounds dangerous.

TO THE OP: Turn on phone, in video/audio recording mode, place in cup holder. Accelerate. Repeat if necessary.
Ok I just went for a drive and recorded the sound. Now how the heck do I attach the video file 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️😆

Oh really? There's supposed to be no sound? Do you have a link?
To elaborate. The SC looked at myP twice. The tech acknowledged it was a complaint with the new 2022 Performance models. They later pretty much said "ITS WITHIN SPEC" his words were it is known and acceptable with the 2022 models.

Compared to the MY3 LR loaner which was silent. He further said sometimes the factory forgets to put the proper insulation / dampening around the motors

To elaborate. The SC looked at myP twice. The tech acknowledged it was a complaint with the new 2022 Performance models. They later pretty much said "ITS WITHIN SPEC" his words were it is known and acceptable with the 2022 models.

Compared to the MY3 LR loaner which was silent. He further said sometimes the factory forgets to put the proper insulation / dampening around the motors
So did they check for that insulation then? They're just contradicting themselves...

Typical Tesla Service BS. If you get the run around from the Tesla Service center try a different service center. If the service center confirms that the battery penthouse perimeter seal is missing or incorrectly installed then Tesla should correct this. The battery pack, possibly other components need to be removed to access the area where the seal is installed.

Separately, if the ground connection on the rear drive unit is not fully torqued down this can also cause a whine from the rear of the Tesla Model Y.

I’m still taking mine in. Mines not a MYP it’s a LR but still making a “noise.” And I get what you’re saying about the M3 LR being silent! That’s probably why I noticed it, going from my 3 to the Y.
I’ve only had it 4 days and I want it on record that I brought it in for service for this issue. That way in the future if something happens, it’s in writing.