Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s been 7 months since I made this post, time flys!
I will say the horrible noise hasn’t returned since I had the penthouse perimeter seal replaced.
For those of you that can’t get the SC to get rid of the noise, be persistent! They can make certain noises to go away. Yes the electric motor makes a noise to some degree. But when you can hear a high pitched “drill” noise over your music, that’s a problem.
Picking up a new addition to our family on 2/7 and I now know to keep the music off while leaving the lot and getting on the highway to head home to listen for this noise!

Reactions: Bigo604 and NJ08809
I have this high pitch tinnitus-like sound when on freeway and only when pressing the accelerator high, it was annoying.

Following some people on this thread, I ended up buying a 1inx1in square foam strip on amazon and just stuffed/lined it up around the penthouse perimeter seal when I removed the seat. I also stuffed some blanket in there to dampen the sound. This fixed my issue as I no longer hear the high pitch noise. Glad I found this thread.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
Got my new MYP some weeks back. When I turn on the heat in the cabin (does not matter if AC is on/off) there will be a quite some noise from the heatpump. It sounds like som resonance (or humming) inside the car. Specially when the car is at a still it is annoying and sounds like a fossil car. It seems it is worst above 20 degrees, and when I set the temp for 19,5 degress and under (or stop the climate) the heatpump is not working that much and then the resonance/humming is not so high.
Outside temp is between 0-10 degress celsius and the issues is also there after the car has been driven for e.g. one hour.

Is this just how it is, or do your cars not make this above 19,5/20 degrees?

I ended up cancelling my 3rd service appointment knowing it might give me another disappointment.
So I brought a 1 inch thick * 1 inch wide foam strip (it's around $10 on amazon) and stuffed it into the gap between the rear motor and the housing which It i believe is where the noise comes from for my car.
It reduces 95% of the noise and it can only hear the noise at 50mph when floor the pedal but it lasts less than 0.5 sec, so i'm okay with it.
I can finally enjoy driving the car now.

Glad you're enjoying your car. I did the same and what a difference. What product did you end up choosing for the rear gap. I bought air conditioner foam block seal. some areas were hard to stuff than others. I inserted foam tubing on the fronts as well for good measure and the sound is actually softer than the other Model Y now.

I also have a visibly misplaced perimeter seal. I have an appointment next week at the service center. I just now stuffed a foam block for a window AC unit in the gap where the seal is misplaced (perfect fit) and the high pitched noise is gone! What a relief. I am probably going to cancel my appointment and just keep the foam block there.

wow this made all the difference! i have a 23 lr and it has the high pitched whine during acceleration and even cruising at certain speeds. bought two of these a/c foam inserts from home depot for under $10 and stuffed it into the gap where i could see the blue seal and noise is now gone. even whirring during regen braking is now noticeably reduced.

be sure to wear gloves as there are sharp metal casting burrs around the gap and ended up with some minor cuts. i would think this is a simpler solution than having to drop the battery to replace the seal and any potential issues it might cause. heck even if seals are properly aligned this wouldn't be a bad idea to further reduce any noise.

one question i have is does the fact that the blue seal being visible mean that it is misaligned? (i.e. the foam should not be visible in the gap if aligned correctly) i could see about a 3/4 inch of blue foam sticking out along the gap.

wow this made all the difference! i have a 23 lr and it has the high pitched whine during acceleration and even cruising at certain speeds. bought two of these a/c foam inserts from home depot for under $10 and stuffed it into the gap where i could see the blue seal and noise is now gone. even whirring during regen braking is now noticeably reduced.

be sure to wear gloves as there are sharp metal casting burrs around the gap and ended up with some minor cuts. i would think this is a simpler solution than having to drop the battery to replace the seal and any potential issues it might cause. heck even if seals are properly aligned this wouldn't be a bad idea to further reduce any noise.

one question i have is does the fact that the blue seal being visible mean that it is misaligned? (i.e. the foam should not be visible in the gap if aligned correctly) i could see about a 3/4 inch of blue foam sticking out along the gap.
glad it worked out. honestly one of the best solutions i've done for such low effort and cost. beats having to take the car in for service.

my SC said it's like difficult for that blue seal to be installed wrong and they looked at it and said yeah it's fine, but I think they are full of it.

Sorry to resurrect an older thread but couldn't find a more recent one from a quick search.

I've read through all 14 pages because I think this may be happening to my new 2023 MYLR (ordered, Fremont-built and picked up in May).

Have there been any reports from people with newer/recently-built MY with a similar issue?

I don't yet have a recording but will try to get one. Seems to be happening (or at least sound the loudest) when I accelerate past 47-50mph, FWIW.

Reactions: cwhite51
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but couldn't find a more recent one from a quick search.

I've read through all 14 pages because I think this may be happening to my new 2023 MYLR (ordered, Fremont-built and picked up in May).

Have there been any reports from people with newer/recently-built MY with a similar issue?

I don't yet have a recording but will try to get one. Seems to be happening (or at least sound the loudest) when I accelerate past 47-50mph, FWIW.
It's just the newer rear drive motors. You can try to run it through service, but they'll act like they can't hear it or say it's a known complaint and do nothing.

Just turn your music up louder.

I read through all 14 pages and realized from others in this thread that the dentist drill sound is not normal. I pulled my seat and see the blue pressure seal and it seems okay to me. I went ahead and purchased Amazon basics peel and stick sound insulation and found it made it big improvement. I still hear the sound when i do full regen deceleration but cruising or accelerating I no longer hear it. I still have 3 more sheets I may install just to further help but to me as of now, this solves my concern as i dont want to deal with the service center on this.

I read through all 14 pages and realized from others in this thread that the dentist drill sound is not normal. I pulled my seat and see the blue pressure seal and it seems okay to me. I went ahead and purchased Amazon basics peel and stick sound insulation and found it made it big improvement. I still hear the sound when i do full regen deceleration but cruising or accelerating I no longer hear it. I still have 3 more sheets I may install just to further help but to me as of now, this solves my concern as i dont want to deal with the service center on this.

Where did you place the insulation? Thanks.