Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my second service appointment for the whining noise issue this week.
Unfortunately, the technician said the noise is not excessive and it's normal drive unit sound. I told him that the perimeter seal might be installed correctly, but he claimed to fix the seal he has to drop the battery pack and he doesn't think it would help.
At this point, i have run out of my ways, i might just sell this car. This is a terrible experience.
Can you post a video of your sound?

Reactions: Pianewman
shzhang: Work your way up the food chain. You're getting bad advice. (I never allow a service technician to dictate when I know I'm right, which is...ahem...ALL OF THE TIME! Speak with a service manager/director.)

Did you show them the posts here, and the resolutions achieved?

Post a sound clip, though. Lots of experienced ears on this site.

Unfortunately, the technician said the noise is not excessive and it's normal drive unit sound. I told him that the perimeter seal might be installed correctly, but he claimed to fix the seal he has to drop the battery pack and he doesn't think it would help.
At this point, i have run out of my ways, i might just sell this car. This is a terrible experience.
Tell them that you know it will fix the issue and show them pictures from this thread. I would not take no as an answer. The difference is very noticeable after they fix it. I wish I had taken mine in sooner.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
Take the seats out and you'll know. I was able to verify the back section of the penthouse seal towards the trunk is off ( you can tug at it and see it's clearly not seated). It's also extremely loud when driving without the seat covers compared to when I drove the other Model Y with a proper seal (quiet even with seats removed)

I was able to resolve this before taking the car to service by adding acoustics and additional foam backer tubes and and strip in the same back area that's loose. IMO this is a viable (and cost effective) alternative short of having Tesla fix the root cause.

Reactions: orion2001
Ughh. So sorry for the experience. Mine is still in the shop for this issue. Will let you know what I find out. I would insist they document it as an issue. Perhaps you can go to a different service center too. The technician heard one noise, but his hearing wasn't good enough to hear the high pitch. He did document it to be addressed (I think that is key). Lastly, if an issue still not resolved after keeping it you might get to use Lemon Law. I hope it doesn't come to this with a new car. Obviously, if your 1st Tesla want a great experience. I am on our 4th Tesla and really have had great experiences and coverage of things even things that could be considered questionable.....I have been very happy. Good Luck!

I finally brought my car in for the second time and was more firm with the service advisor. Basically I told him that if they didn't fix this issue we would be looking to get rid of it (I haven't even plated it yet). I took a tech driving with me and he said, "Oh my god, that's awful to listen to." They are keeping the car for at least today to dig into the issue, and let me know by tomorrow what they found. I showed them this thread and the reddit post as well about the issue so hopefully they just fix it this time around.

I had to drive the car 2 hours in a 55mph zone a few weeks back and the sound was enough to give me a major headache by the time I got to my destination.

I finally brought my car in for the second time and was more firm with the service advisor. Basically I told him that if they didn't fix this issue we would be looking to get rid of it (I haven't even plated it yet). I took a tech driving with me and he said, "Oh my god, that's awful to listen to." They are keeping the car for at least today to dig into the issue, and let me know by tomorrow what they found. I showed them this thread and the reddit post as well about the issue so hopefully they just fix it this time around.

I had to drive the car 2 hours in a 55mph zone a few weeks back and the sound was enough to give me a major headache by the time I got to my destination.
3YMimi73 Keep me posted. Mine still in the shop for touchup and noise issue. I have asked for an update, but do not have one yet. I understand how the noise could be annoying. I drove my older MYPerfornance (2020) on long trip prior to 4th of July, because I didn't want to hear that noise on my new MYPerformance (2022). It sounds like you have made progress with the technician. It should be a better process for recognition of problem for certain.

3YMimi73 Keep me posted. Mine still in the shop for touchup and noise issue. I have asked for an update, but do not have one yet. I understand how the noise could be annoying. I drove my older MYPerfornance (2020) on long trip prior to 4th of July, because I didn't want to hear that noise on my new MYPerformance (2022). It sounds like you have made progress with the technician. It should be a better process for recognition of problem for certain.
So far so good! Service was performed on 6/14 & 6/15 and everything is still sounding quiet. I’m very happy with the service performed and the fact that they took me seriously when I told them this noise was annoying and it needed to be resolved ASAP.
Yes the noise was extremely annoying and when you can hear it over music, you know it’s bad. But now I just hear my music and the purr of the electric motors 😊

So far Tesla has had my car 2 days (going on 3 today). They are working with engineering to determine what the sound is coming from.
I’m guessing it’s not the penthouse perimeter seal or they would have had it fixed in a timely manner-unless they have to order the part.
I’m sorry you are experiencing all of this, I hope you get your car back soon.

Yeah I'm not sure what they're up to. I've been "roughing it" in my 2004 Wrangler the past few days. It loves drinking gas.
I really hope they figure it out for you soon.
I have a Honda Pilot for winter driving, so once the snow flies here in NY I will be paying for gas again. Teslas stay in the garage for the winter, I will definitely miss driving them for like 6 months.

Reactions: Madmacs
I really hope they figure it out for you soon.
I have a Honda Pilot for winter driving, so once the snow flies here in NY I will be paying for gas again. Teslas stay in the garage for the winter, I will definitely miss driving them for like 6 months.
Thanks! Nothing at all today after he “We are diagnosing this with engineering”. So I guess I might not have it back before the weekend.