Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure the whine is just a thing you have to live with. My 2018 M3 LR RWD and my 2021 MS LR both have it under slight acceleration and deceleration.
I don’t mind that sound. This is a slightly lower frequency whine than that of the vehicle under heavy acceleration but is louder and grating even at constant speed under minimal load. We put 25k miles on our ‘21 MY and don’t mind the acceleration/regen noise at all; this is different and terrible.

Most large electric motors make noise when they're running. The Tesla motors run at a high rpm and are run through a reduction gear, which could make even more high frequency sound. It sounds like they're working on it, perhaps planning some shielding, and perhaps it's a "performance" thingy, too. Either way, I'd bet they figure out a fix.

Unfortunately I can still hear the noise over the loud music 😂 (I consider myself old)
Yup, I can also hear it over the music at times. Have an appointment a few weeks from now but not very hopeful that they will do anything about it. Did you already have your service appointment? I might try adding sound insulation under the rear seat as a last ditch attempt but I'm not super optimistic. Love the car, but this really does grate on me every single time I drive it ☹️

Reactions: xyskis and 3YMimi73
Yup, I can also hear it over the music at times. Have an appointment a few weeks from now but not very hopeful that they will do anything about it. Did you already have your service appointment? I might try adding sound insulation under the rear seat as a last ditch attempt but I'm not super optimistic. Love the car, but this really does grate on me every single time I drive it ☹️
My appointment is on June 14, it was the first available for the closest SC.
I’m glad I’m not the only one that finds this annoying.

Add me to the list of having a MYLR that has the high pitch noise. Mine is very high pitch. At first it most noticeable when I drive in a underground parade at 10 km/hr. Then I could also hear it when driving on highway at 90 km/hr with windows closed. My passenger can also hear it. I informed Tesla advisor the day after I picked up car when they called me as a follow up. Car is 5 days old. Driver window seems to have some drop down issues when pulling trigger up to roll up the window.

For those who also have a M3LR, do you notice that they Y‘s brake pedal is much softer and more responsive and brakes way faster ?

Reactions: 3YMimi73
Add me to the list of having a MYLR that has the high pitch noise. Mine is very high pitch. At first it most noticeable when I drive in a underground parade at 10 km/hr. Then I could also hear it when driving on highway at 90 km/hr with windows closed. My passenger can also hear it. I informed Tesla advisor the day after I picked up car when they called me as a follow up. Car is 5 days old. Driver window seems to have some drop down issues when pulling trigger up to roll up the window.

For those who also have a M3LR, do you notice that they Y‘s brake pedal is much softer and more responsive and brakes way faster ?
I noticed the noise 4 days after I picked mine up and immediately scheduled a service apt.
My driver window was doing the same thing but hasn’t done it in a few weeks.
Between paint issues and this annoying noise, I really didn’t want another issue on this brand new car.

I have the same issue with my March 2022 myp. I posted the following to Reddit with a sound clip shortly after delivery. Just took delivery of my 2nd mylr may 2022 build (non performance) and it does not have the high pitch sound so this is definitely an issue. Night and day. I actually prefer driving the mylr largely due to the sound.

Are you planning to fix it for your MYP?

Are you planning to fix it for your MYP?
I'm planning to but wanted to get more details on what the fix entails. if it requires dropping the battery like some members are saying then I may just live with it. Thought i read somewhere that it's a common issue and Tesla is aware/working on a solution.

That said, after driving the MYLR this week I'm more inclined to resolve this issue for the MYP. Will keep everyone posted if i learn of anything now.

I have the same issue with my March 2022 myp. I posted the following to Reddit with a sound clip shortly after delivery. Just took delivery of my 2nd mylr may 2022 build (non performance) and it does not have the high pitch sound so this is definitely an issue. Night and day. I actually prefer driving the mylr largely due to the sound.

I cannot hear anything your video. I also tried to record the noise on my iPhone and found the road noise was actually louder than the whine, which I could hear in person but not from a video.

I took my vehicle in for service today. The technician was able to reproduce the noise and identified it as abnormal. Based on information on this thread, I mentioned that one possibility was a missing perimeter sealed but obviously if there’s a broad differential of possibilities.

They indeed confirm that there was a missing perimeter seal that is causing the noise and this will be installed in 2 1/2 weeks once the part arrives.

To be honest, had we not had a 2021 model Y without this noise issue, it would be easy to be gaslighted/electron lighted into thinking that the sound is normal when it is not. I would not accept this noise and would’ve either returned or sold the vehicle were it not addressed. My wife and I are sensitive to sound in cars and this would’ve been a dealbreaker.

As I’ve driven the vehicle more, the best way I can describe the abnormal rear drive unit noise is a constant whine from the rear of the vehicle with sound intensity and frequency increasing with increased speed and distinct from the [pleasant] frequencies of heavy acceleration or regen. The sound seems to be most easily isolated at constant speed and minimal load on the motor/acceleration (regen/load bar just to the right of midline, grey load instead of green regen). So in math speak, direct relationship between speed and intensity and frequency of the whine from the rear best heard under minimal motor load. Accelerating gently on a downhill road with constant accelerator position results in the sound getting louder and with higher frequency.

Thanks to folks who shared previously about this issue. Helped me and helped the Tesla SC.

I took my vehicle in for service today. The technician was able to reproduce the noise and identified it as abnormal. Based on information on this thread, I mentioned that one possibility was a missing perimeter sealed but obviously if there’s a broad differential of possibilities.

They indeed confirm that there was a missing perimeter seal that is causing the noise and this will be installed in 2 1/2 weeks once the part arrives.

To be honest, had we not had a 2021 model Y without this noise issue, it would be easy to be gaslighted/electron lighted into thinking that the sound is normal when it is not. I would not accept this noise and would’ve either returned or sold the vehicle were it not addressed. My wife and I are sensitive to sound in cars and this would’ve been a dealbreaker.

As I’ve driven the vehicle more, the best way I can describe the abnormal rear drive unit noise is a constant whine from the rear of the vehicle with sound intensity and frequency increasing with increased speed and distinct from the [pleasant] frequencies of heavy acceleration or regen. The sound seems to be most easily isolated at constant speed and minimal load on the motor/acceleration (regen/load bar just to the right of midline, grey load instead of green regen). So in math speak, direct relationship between speed and intensity and frequency of the whine from the rear best heard under minimal motor load. Accelerating gently on a downhill road with constant accelerator position results in the sound getting louder and with higher frequency.

Thanks to folks who shared previously about this issue. Helped me and helped the Tesla SC.
Thanks for sharing this. Your description is exactly where I experience the highest pitched whine. In my video I think you can see that i'm just holding the accel right in the middle.

Question: Any additional info on how they reinstalled the battery seal? Did they have to drop the entire battery? How many days did it take?

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe and xyskis