Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing this. Your description is exactly where I experience the highest pitched whine. In my video I think you can see that i'm just holding the accel right in the middle.

Question: Any additional info on how they reinstalled the battery seal? Did they have to drop the entire battery? How many days did it take?
The service will be in 2.5 weeks and is estimated to take 4 hours of technician time. Not sure what’s involved but I wouldn’t be surprised and wouldn’t be too concerned if they needed to drop the battery to install the seal.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe and hungryev
I just emailed the Operations Advisor who gave my my keys on pick up day. He called me within 24 hours to see if there were any issues.
I have about 5 issues, and 2 of them are sound issues. Today I noticed a new and different high pitch whirling when air con is on at fan speed 4+, and temp setting at 18C. It is loudest at the 7-9 second mark of the video, and then stops as soon as I turn off the fan.

Anyone else experiencing this ? It's very loud and can hear it even with the radio/music on. I have had a Model 3 LR Dual Motor for 3 years and driven 77,000 Kms. I have not had a high pitch hum or whirling sound ever on the Model 3.

I took my vehicle in for service today. The technician was able to reproduce the noise and identified it as abnormal. Based on information on this thread, I mentioned that one possibility was a missing perimeter sealed but obviously if there’s a broad differential of possibilities.

They indeed confirm that there was a missing perimeter seal that is causing the noise and this will be installed in 2 1/2 weeks once the part arrives.

To be honest, had we not had a 2021 model Y without this noise issue, it would be easy to be gaslighted/electron lighted into thinking that the sound is normal when it is not. I would not accept this noise and would’ve either returned or sold the vehicle were it not addressed. My wife and I are sensitive to sound in cars and this would’ve been a dealbreaker.

As I’ve driven the vehicle more, the best way I can describe the abnormal rear drive unit noise is a constant whine from the rear of the vehicle with sound intensity and frequency increasing with increased speed and distinct from the [pleasant] frequencies of heavy acceleration or regen. The sound seems to be most easily isolated at constant speed and minimal load on the motor/acceleration (regen/load bar just to the right of midline, grey load instead of green regen). So in math speak, direct relationship between speed and intensity and frequency of the whine from the rear best heard under minimal motor load. Accelerating gently on a downhill road with constant accelerator position results in the sound getting louder and with higher frequency.

Thanks to folks who shared previously about this issue. Helped me and helped the Tesla SC.
Your description is spot on for the issue I am observing as well. The whine is incessant and ever present even when traveling at constant speed and the pitch varies as a function of speed. Glad to hear they were responsive about acknowledging the issue and trying to address it. I really hope the folks at my SC are similarly receptive.

Btw, did you accompany the technician when he was trying to verify the issue or did he go off with the car by himself?

Reactions: 3YMimi73
Your description is spot on for the issue I am observing as well. The whine is incessant and ever present even when traveling at constant speed and the pitch varies as a function of speed. Glad to hear they were responsive about acknowledging the issue and trying to address it. I really hope the folks at my SC are similarly receptive.

Btw, did you accompany the technician when he was trying to verify the issue or did he go off with the car by himself?
I offered to go with him but he took it himself and had no issue recognizing 1 abnormal noise and 2 origin rear drive unit.

I took my vehicle in for service today. The technician was able to reproduce the noise and identified it as abnormal. Based on information on this thread, I mentioned that one possibility was a missing perimeter sealed but obviously if there’s a broad differential of possibilities.

They indeed confirm that there was a missing perimeter seal that is causing the noise and this will be installed in 2 1/2 weeks once the part arrives.

To be honest, had we not had a 2021 model Y without this noise issue, it would be easy to be gaslighted/electron lighted into thinking that the sound is normal when it is not. I would not accept this noise and would’ve either returned or sold the vehicle were it not addressed. My wife and I are sensitive to sound in cars and this would’ve been a dealbreaker.

As I’ve driven the vehicle more, the best way I can describe the abnormal rear drive unit noise is a constant whine from the rear of the vehicle with sound intensity and frequency increasing with increased speed and distinct from the [pleasant] frequencies of heavy acceleration or regen. The sound seems to be most easily isolated at constant speed and minimal load on the motor/acceleration (regen/load bar just to the right of midline, grey load instead of green regen). So in math speak, direct relationship between speed and intensity and frequency of the whine from the rear best heard under minimal motor load. Accelerating gently on a downhill road with constant accelerator position results in the sound getting louder and with higher frequency.

Thanks to folks who shared previously about this issue. Helped me and helped the Tesla SC.
Driving my M3LR for the past year, which is very quiet and then driving the MYLR and hearing that noise, I knew something was amiss.
I’m glad they are acknowledging that there is a problem and fixing it.

Reactions: xyskis

I had cancelled my service appt for today since I was gonna just live with it but now I'll reschedule it to get this fixed. Please keep us updated.

Last edited:
Reactions: xyskis
Based on a couple of other threads about this issue, I tried dropping my rear seats flat to see if it would reduce the intensity of the whine. Sure enough, it certainly did so. Still audible but a fair bit more muted. Seems to strongly indicate a missing or incorrectly installed penthouse perimeter seal.

Reactions: 3YMimi73 and xyskis

I see your location says Portland, is that Portland, OR? If so, I need to reach out to them about this issue as well

The service will be in 2.5 weeks and is estimated to take 4 hours of technician time. Not sure what’s involved but I wouldn’t be surprised and wouldn’t be too concerned if they needed to drop the battery to install the seal.
Hey everyone , I took delivery of my model y performance in March and as soon as I got in it to drive it the noise coming from the rear unit was obvious . Long story short , I have been to service twice , the first time they indeed had to drop the HV battery in order to reseal the penthouse seal . Although it helped the noise was still there just last week I took it back a second time and now theyvare awaiting to hear from Tesla field engineers to see what’s next . I believe th at certain batch of these model y’s are coming with this issue this year 22 . I test drive 2 other models 20 and 21 the 21 had the noise worse than mine but the 20 was silent . I will relay any outcome . I am not a tech but clearly the rear motor unit has to be defective to be able produce such loud whistle like noise . Hope this helps .

Had my service appointment today, promised everyone an update.
Took the service tech for a ride and he definitely heard the noise I was trying to describe. I’m glad he did because I didn’t want him thinking I was making it up and just hearing things.
So they gave me a $100 UBER voucher because I needed to leave it there so they could do some investigating. I live in a very small town in the Southern Tier of NY and well I have no idea how to UBER, so I used my two feet to walk to Chick-fil-A!
While I was there they called me and said they didn’t have time to really diagnose the problem correctly today and to come back and they would give me a loaner car. I live 1 1/2 hours from the nearest SC. So I walked back and got my loaner and headed home. Free Suoercharging and Thruway Fees, that’s a good deal.
So I was home about half an hour and they called and told me what the issue was… exactly what I had mentioned when I got there,
Penthouse Permitter Seal.
So they have the part in stock and will be fixing it tomorrow. They said the one that was installed at the factory was bad (?), so I’m thinking what makes the new one good?!
But needless to say, I wasn’t going crazy and hearing things, there was a definite issue.
For my first service appointment, it went very well and everyone was super nice. I just wish the appointment wasn’t for a 3 week old car. I scheduled the appointment 4 days after I picked her up.
So for those of you dismissing the noise, don’t! Definitely have it fixed.
Thank You all for helping me out on my post!
Oh and I treated myself to a Party Box from Crumbl because I’m so stressed out 😂

Had my service appointment today, promised everyone an update.
Took the service tech for a ride and he definitely heard the noise I was trying to describe. I’m glad he did because I didn’t want him thinking I was making it up and just hearing things.
So they gave me a $100 UBER voucher because I needed to leave it there so they could do some investigating. I live in a very small town in the Southern Tier of NY and well I have no idea how to UBER, so I used my two feet to walk to Chick-fil-A!
While I was there they called me and said they didn’t have time to really diagnose the problem correctly today and to come back and they would give me a loaner car. I live 1 1/2 hours from the nearest SC. So I walked back and got my loaner and headed home. Free Suoercharging and Thruway Fees, that’s a good deal.
So I was home about half an hour and they called and told me what the issue was… exactly what I had mentioned when I got there,
Penthouse Permitter Seal.
So they have the part in stock and will be fixing it tomorrow. They said the one that was installed at the factory was bad (?), so I’m thinking what makes the new one good?!
But needless to say, I wasn’t going crazy and hearing things, there was a definite issue.
For my first service appointment, it went very well and everyone was super nice. I just wish the appointment wasn’t for a 3 week old car. I scheduled the appointment 4 days after I picked her up.
So for those of you dismissing the noise, don’t! Definitely have it fixed.
Thank You all for helping me out on my post!
Oh and I treated myself to a Party Box from Crumbl because I’m so stressed out 😂
Glad to hear that they were receptive regarding the issue. Now I am second guessing my appointment for the 22nd. Next couple of weeks are really busy and it's going to be hard to leave the car at the SC.

Do report back with how things are with the car once you pick it up. I have already communicated via the service ticket about the penthouse perimeter seal being a common reason for this issue. They thanked me for the info but they were probably rolling their eyes about my armchair diagnosis 😄. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
I also just got my car back from SC last night. Complete opposite experience as 3YMimi73, and was a complete disaster. MYLR with only 1300 Kms (2 weeks old). Numerous issues reported within 24 hours of possession, but the 3 main ones are the high pitch noise at highway speeds, steering wheel alignment, and high pitch air conditioning noise. Other issues include frunk not flushed, scuffed windshield. Dropped off car Sunday 8:30am with scheduled Monday 1pm pick up. Monday 7pm no response to my text messages so I drive down to SC. I was told all issues fixed. Then was told everything was within specification. Then was told they can't drive highway speeds in the city. Exterior of car was dirty, not washed, and more dusty than when I dropped it off due to the SC area. Interior is all dirty (no joke), with multiple panels and visors with dirty hand marks. Frunk is worse now and wavy as opposed to just a dip and not flush. Windshield was checked off as replaced but obviously was not. There is so much more to rant about but I will hold off for now. Bottom line is SC booked another appointment to change windshield, and brushing off all other issues. The things that were said and explained to me were absolutely BS. I just wanted to get my car out of there as quick as I could and will re-book with another service location later. It was a complete nightmare. After being told everything was fixed but then admitting windshield and whining was in spec but then later changed to not checked at all, I was told I everything is complete and to take care back BUT it can't be taken off service mode because of outstanding issues. Whip lash, is it fixed or not ??? I took the car back home in service mode and had to manually open charge port, manually start/stop charging. Service model restricts app controls and sentry. But at least I got the car back from a terrible SC. Today late afternoon, the service ticket was closed remotely and I have the car app back to normal. If anyone wants to know what was said about my alignment issue, just PM or let me know. It was priceless incompetence. With all the issues, I have to delay the install of my power frunk and window tinting.

Glad to hear that they were receptive regarding the issue. Now I am second guessing my appointment for the 22nd. Next couple of weeks are really busy and it's going to be hard to leave the car at the SC.

Do report back with how things are with the car once you pick it up. I have already communicated via the service ticket about the penthouse perimeter seal being a common reason for this issue. They thanked me for the info but they were probably rolling their eyes about my armchair diagnosis 😄. Fingers crossed.
I will definitely let you know how the pick up goes. I pray nothing happens to the car while sitting in their parking lot.
Tesla will give you an UBER voucher if you need to get to work and what not. I’m not sure how far you are from the SC.

Ok second update.
Picked up the car this morning. I did a walk around to make sure there were no door dings from other cars, it’s a super tight parking lot.
As I was turning in my key from my loaner, the service advisor told me that the penthouse permitter seal was “folded”, so it wasn’t laying flat and that was creating all the noise. The ultimate test was going to be when I got on the highway to head home.
Stopped to do some shopping before I came home and I got into the back seat to get a reusable bag… Holy Hell, What a Mess!!! There is dust and dirt EVERYWHERE, on the seats on the doors! I’m guessing they tore the back seat out to fix it. But damn what a mess!!!! Definitely not happy about that. So I’m headed out now to clean it and wash the bugs off.
So guess what…. This car is soooo quiet! The issue has been fixed and Im so happy! It’s like a whole different car, sounds like my M3LR now. This is how it should have been from the get-go.
So besides the dirty interior, the service apt went smoothly!